deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Best offense is defense - Comments  (Read 374 times)

Comment Bot

Best offense is defense - Comments
« on: May 21, 2021, 07:21:33 pm »

Decks4Fun

• Decks
Re: Best offense is defense - Comments
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 07:21:33 pm »
I feel like the deck can be improved by replacing Solid Footing with Glorious Anthem. Only a little more expensive mana-wise but you get more value. Nothing gives vigilance in the deck so Solid Footing doesn't really work for anything other than a combat trick because of flash.

tau

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 01:27:47 am »
Thank you for the suggestion! I agree with you that Solid Footing does not really give an edge, since the toughness to attack ability is already applied through High Alert and Huatli.
However, +1/+1 does not really make a huge difference with high toughness creatures, so I am thinking more of protection/counter.
Here are my options at the moment:
- Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor (protection to creatures + hand refresh
- Neutralize / Counterspell / Disidainful Stroke / Unsummon or something similar
- Mental Discipline for hand refresh

StevenOs

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 08:00:10 pm »
I think you should find more White Creatures to better balance the mana especially seeing how you need White for any of your "deal damage base on Toughness" effects.  1/7 for 3W isn't all that good considering Wall of Junk (perhaps too much $$) is 0/7 for 2.  Not sure what your toughness criteria is but if it's 4 on the backside instead of 5 you may open up a lot more possibilities for quick drops in both blue and white.  I might also suggest looking for evasion abilities on your "blockers" so that when they turn around to attack they get through.  Searching I do see four 0/4 W options.

I do see going blue for the Surge Mare and Charix which have offensive potential even without High Alert/Huatli.  Fae of Wishes can be interesting as a 1/4 flier for 1U plus the wish where you could put something is a sideboard to search for.  Merfolk Secretkeeper is 0/4 for U but doesn't have Defender to worry about and could throw out a mill bluff.

Sorry for being so all over the place.  In looking at making a dirt cheap ($$) tapdown deck I've thought of doing something similar using the cheap white creatures that have more toughness than power.

tau

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 12:52:40 am »
Thank you for the suggestions. I agree that some more white creatures should be added for the mana balance. However, I can't really find anything strong besides maybe Giant Ox or Maned Serval  or Fortified Rampart, and I would still have to replace either Surge mare (nice for draw) and Riptide Turtle (flash). Please let me know of any intersting 0/4 W options.
I have added some 0/4, 1/4 candidates in maybeboard and I will test to see what works.

The suggestion for Merfolk Secretkeeper or something similar is nice, since as you said 0/4 and 0/5 don't make that much of a difference. I guess I want kind of all-in on increasing toughness of creatures :)
GL on building the deck, hit me up when you do!

StevenOs

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 08:06:01 am »
The difference between 0/4 and 0/5 is nominally one more attack landing to finish an opponent.  I'd just want to be sure to not make the plan too obvious so it doesn't rely 100% on one of those damage transformers sticking; you have that with a couple of those blue creatures.  That is especially true looking at Defenders but I guess you don't have many of those.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:10:06 am by StevenOs »

Lusunu

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 03:15:19 am »
Huh-a Doran, the Siege Tower deck(Or Arcades, the Strategist if you aren't old school), but with no green and omega budget style. Interesting.
I dunno how budget you're looking to go, but have you considered throwing Mystic Confluence in somewhere? It feels like a great option that simultaneously covers defense and card draw.
Also, Meekstone would be a great option. Again, maybe on the more expensive side, but it would be a great card in your deck.
And if you're willing to rework your deck to feature more Walls, Rolling Stones would be a spectacular idea.

Lusunu

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 03:22:32 am »
Upon noticing the fact that this deck is one of your "super budget" decks, I have come to the realization that all my suggestions were entirely too expensive. As such, ignore my card ideas.

Smëh

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 12:02:24 am »
Indomitable ancients That's the white card you looking for :D And their is a nice combo between Huatli and Tree of Redemption if you are interested !

tau

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 12:28:04 am »
Lusunu: Nice suggestions there, especially Meekstone should bring a lot of trouble and it requires only 1 mana. However, it is kind of pricey compared to the whole deck, as is Mystic Confluence.
Rolling Stones is cheap enough to be included, might have to reconsider adding more walls, or it would be interesting to create a wall-version of this deck.
Smëh: Thanks, Indomitable ancients is definitely the best value for toughness card, however did not include it to keep a very low budget. Should have added it in the maybeboard for those interested.
Overall, Meekstone and Indomitable ancients look like the most promising upgrades, if one decides to throw a few bucks more on this deck.