deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Session aktualisieren button and then try again.

Autor Thema: Coveted Jewel  (Gelesen 1282 mal)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Coveted Jewel
« am: Juni 28, 2021, 01:42:43 Nachmittag »
Has anyone used Coveted Jewel? Is it any good?

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
Re: Coveted Jewel
« Antwort #1 am: Juni 28, 2021, 01:58:24 Nachmittag »
I haven't tried it personally, but is seems super fun!

I like the fact that it basically introduces a "super-monarchy" in the game, encouraging the more conservative players to be more proactive, leading to a much more entertaining game.

However, I don't know whether there are decks that can really take advantage of it. Probably something like Pramikon, Sky Rampart?

Also there's probably some combo with commanders like Orvar, the All-Form.
Golgari is life. And death.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Antwort #2 am: Juni 28, 2021, 03:00:08 Nachmittag »
Our playgroup used Coveted Jewel when it first came out in the pre-con and we had our pre-con league. It's an interesting card because you get 3 mana and draw 3 for 6 mana. It entices your opponents to come at you because who doesn't want a draw 3 and get 3 mana themselves just for hitting you with an unblocked creature. It is definitely a niche card that goes into certain decks. Do I like the card itself? Not really because having to protect it was the thing I didn't like. Giving up my mana rock to an opponent where I spent 6 mana and you only spend 1 creature isn't a fair trade off.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Antwort #3 am: Juni 29, 2021, 07:28:27 Vormittag »
I have considered it for combos multiple times but protecting it is the real problem here. I could suggest it to a friend of mine who plays a group hug deck, though.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Antwort #4 am: Juni 29, 2021, 08:47:44 Vormittag »
We have one kicking around our playgroup that crops up every so often.

I wouldn't class it as "good" by traditional standards, but it is definitely fun. It's very much like the Monarch mechanic in my experience. It encourages interactive and aggressive play patterns and gets the game moving. It's very fun. People will fire off removal to get rid of blockers to go and claim it or attack where they otherwise wouldn't. It makes games go wild.

That's all from a perspective of playing it "fairly". If you are looking to keep it as value or a combo piece, I'd say it's probably fine, though not the most efficient combo piece out there. Doesn't seem worth building around to me if that's what you want to be doing with your deck. There are a million other combos out there that don't have the potential to massively help your opponents if your plan doesn't work out.

In my opinion, it's at its best when it is played fairly and makes the game kick off.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Antwort #5 am: Juni 29, 2021, 12:39:57 Nachmittag »

However, I don't know whether there are decks that can really take advantage of it. Probably something like Pramikon, Sky Rampart?

Just got my Pramikon playmat from the OMA store.  Gotta build the Pramikon deck now.  Not sure which direction I'll go.  But definitely considering Coveted Jewel now.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Valmias

• Decks
« Antwort #6 am: Juni 29, 2021, 04:56:45 Nachmittag »
Just got my Pramikon playmat from the OMA store.  Gotta build the Pramikon deck now.  Not sure which direction I'll go.

Well, either left or right I guess  ;)

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Antwort #7 am: Juni 29, 2021, 04:59:03 Nachmittag »
Just got my Pramikon playmat from the OMA store.  Gotta build the Pramikon deck now.  Not sure which direction I'll go.

Well, either left or right I guess  ;)

That's Hilarious! - Gilbert Gottfried Hilarious | Meme Generator
Happy Brewing!
:)

Valmias

• Decks
« Antwort #8 am: Juni 29, 2021, 05:16:35 Nachmittag »
And to actually contribute to the discussion...
I haven't used Coveted Jewel, but I plan to get one for my Sydri, Galvanic Genius deck. The draw on ETB (not cast) is ripe for recursion, and that deck has plenty of sac outlets so I can just bin it if someone is going to take it. Even the high CMC (er, mana value...) is an upside since it can become a late-game beater, and Sydri's rattlesnake potential tends to deter frivolous attacks.

terminalgeek

• Decks
« Antwort #9 am: Juli 07, 2021, 10:00:28 Nachmittag »
I use in my Belbe deck since I can cast it pretty early and while there are ways to prevent folks from getting it, having it go around the table can help speed the game up.

It can be abused in other decks: Orvar, the All-Form can use it to storm off as each copy draws you cards as it comes in and be tapped for mana. Decks that copy artifacts can also make good use of it for the same reason (triggers on ETB not cast).

Angel_Hunter_D

• Decks
« Antwort #10 am: Juli 07, 2021, 10:31:33 Nachmittag »
I use it in my Osgir deck. Being able to sacrifice it to deny it to people makes it pretty good.

anjinsan

• Decks
« Antwort #11 am: Juli 11, 2021, 11:16:57 Nachmittag »
I have used it as exactly that, a super Monarch, in politics decks. However you have to be pretty darn brave because it's just a bit too good - I'm aiming to make people fight over it, but in doing so potentially drawing them a bunch more cards, and if someone can hold onto it it's a pretty big mana rock.

Probably the more normal but more boring way is just to pillow fort the heck up. This actually isn't that hard if you're building around it, but it won't just slot into any old dexk.