deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: most cost effective way to build your collection  (Read 6052 times)

anjinsan

• Decks
Re: most cost effective way to build your collection
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 11:33:56 am »
Buying cards is a scam. Buy a bunch of bulk commons and print proxies to sleeve over them. Any other answer is going to cost hundreds and it's just a children's game.
In all seriousness, it seems like it kinda is. Any other card game, the stuff might be kinda expensive, but they're usually not refusing to print things to drive the price up artificially. What are you actually paying for there? Not a flimsy bit of cardboard! The intellectual property of something that says "Swamp Island" on it?

Honestly, I'm not sure that the whole notion of a "trading card game" even makes sense any more, not with the internet and everything - everything just gets a monetary value, which is then slightly ridiculous.

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 03:34:35 pm »
Lots of valuable replies here, but I figured I'd say something about my personal experience.

I've been playing Magic since Onslaught block, but had hiatuses of several years in between. Two years ago, I got back into it after a ~7 years break and slowly started rebuilding my collection. I also mainly play commander, although I also occasionally play some Legacy and Pauper.

Anyways, here is what I can suggest based on what I've personally been doing:

• Avoid booster boxes: Cracking packs is fun, but it's rarely good value for money. Sure, you can get lucky and get more than box's worth in cards, but usually the opposite happens. Take a look at the series "booster box game" on the YouTube channel Tolarian Community College to see what I mean. That's why the Professor (the host of said YouTube channel) always recommends to buy singles. An this brings me to my next point...
  • Buy singles: The best value-for-money way to build your collection is to buy the cards you want. Sure, it's less exciting (who doesn't like to crack some packs after all?), but it's the only way that insures you that you'll get your money worth of cards. Instead of buying a 200$ booster box hoping to get that sweet 50$ chase mythic, just buy the card directly. This way you'll avoid feel bads and get exactly what you want. We could also talk some "MTG finance" stuff here like the expected value of booster boxes, but this is more advanced stuff that you don't need to worry about right now. Also, as suggested by WWolfe, when buying singles avoid preordering, unless you strongly feel that a card is being severely undervalued. Usually, a cards' prices will bottom out in the 2-3 weeks after the set's release: that's when you want to buy in. Moreover, when buying singles, it is very important that you do the following, which is...
  • Be patient and wait for reprints: Sometimes cards are crazy expensive because they haven't been reprinted in a long time. For example, Patriarch's Bidding was 50$ before its reprinting in Modern Horizons 2, but it plummeted all the way down to 1$ after the set's release. There are tons of examples like that, like recently Three Visits, Staff of Domination, Scroll Rack etc. If you see that a card is very expensive and only has one printing, or it has several but the last one was long ago, wait to buy it. Wizards has been reprinting valuable cards at an unprecedent rate in the past years, so chances are that if you wait a couple of months you'll be able to get the card you want for a fraction of the price.
  • Consider precons: It used to be that commander precons were terribly built and not a very good value for money. However, Wizards has been improving them a lot lately and they became both more powerful and a better value for money. They are both a great starting point from a gameplay perspective and a good investment, since they usually end up being more valuable than the price you pay for them if you buy them at release.

So here are my suggestions, they are working pretty well for me! Hope they help you meet your goal.

Oh, and I forgot something (I guess because with this damn pandemic, I haven't been trading much lately):

When trading, try to trade "up" as much as possible: It's usually better to trade several cards that are worth less for a single card that is worth more. For example, trading your Mana Drain for 10 rares/mythics with the same monetary value is a bad idea, since not only your Mana Drain is more likely to hold its value, but it's also easier to trade the Mana Drain for even more valuable cards. Try therefore to privilege trades in which you give several cards in exchange for a smaller number of cards with higher per-card value.
Golgari is life. And death.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 03:55:07 pm »
  • Buy singles: The best value-for-money way to build your collection is to buy the cards you want. Sure, it's less exciting (who doesn't like to crack some packs after all?), but it's the only way that insures you that you'll get your money worth of cards. Instead of buying a 200$ booster box hoping to get that sweet 50$ chase mythic, just buy the card directly. This way you'll avoid feel bads and get exactly what you want. We could also talk some "MTG finance" stuff here like the expected value of booster boxes, but this is more advanced stuff that you don't need to worry about right now. Also, as suggested by WWolfe, when buying singles avoid preordering, unless you strongly feel that a card is being severely undervalued. Usually, a cards' prices will bottom out in the 2-3 weeks after the set's release: that's when you want to buy in. Moreover, when buying singles, it is very important that you do the following, which is...
Totally agree with this. Buy singles. Can't say more than that. I can only add another less likely or depending on the life situation you're in: for me always expect the best from friends and fellow MtG players. Why for me? Friend of mine, Ivan, here in Bulgaria always from time to time when he buys a booster box - gives me cards. Usually loads of cards and this way, with Kaladesh stuff, which is granted by my standards, one of the most casual Modern editions since good Vedalken-Elves Artificers and Aetherborn Artificers with Weldfast Engineer that's totally cheap and casual approaches, came just like that: from leftover cards from Ivan. However, I'm in such a stage in my life that I don't have virtually other cards beside decks. Or building decks. I'm making Naya Slivers and I'm mostly done with Devoid Emerge Eldrazi, but the cards are put aside and don't have sleeves yet, can't be said that are a collection rather than a "building manual". I'm about to do Hydras and Ninjas hopefully till the end of the year, but like brewing, when I'm done with making a deck, I get rid off of all cards that are redundant for me. I keep only decks. 30 Modern Dragon Shielded that's nearly identical with my Tribal pursuits (or close: 2nd Talrand, Sky Summoner in the Simic Drakes that people gave 31 stars is a mystery how it's in the actual deck and not here in the list); 7 Ultra Pro Guild stash, that's still Modern, yet I only play it in casual mind-set at home; 3 near-to-Precon EDHs. Only Adaptive Enchantment was given as a gift 2 years ago by my friends, "Draconom(wall)icon" is carefully assembled throughout the years, while "Nature of the Beast" was made in a punch last Christmas, when actually several people either bought me some cards like very rarely my mother who ordered the bulk of the Beasts and the spells and a friend from a club, who was good and kind enough to buy me the commanders: Marath, Will of the Wild and Gahiji, Honored One, while Boris (krgr) gave me Godsire, Mayael's Aria, Mayael the Anima, Titanic Ultimatum and Utopia Sprawl as more expensive ones. I'm mostly Modern player at regular intervals at FNMs however I have 3 quite neat EDHs, rarely tested due to the pandemic. With the collection of decks, I've built since around 2011, a full decade, and due to the renovation of my apartment last year: I got rid off most cards this way Ivan gives me, or cards I've accumulated through the years, which aren't in decks, while trying to either sell or, more of recent, exchange with people who have lot more than me as I've found recently a person in Sofia who gives a lot and has incredible amount to share even for free or for small sums of money in order to compliment my existing decks or creating some budgetary new Tribes. Expect the best from friends and fellow MtG players per my opinion. They can always fill your collection with unwanted cards by one's own standard which you can later exchange or sell or keep as a stash. People can always give you cards they don't need usually in civilized European countries and of course USA, where's the birthplace of the game. Yet, yeah as The Golgari Guy said: buy singles always. When I made my Nature of the Beast deck, I bought several Beasts that were just "surplus to the requirements" as Koeman said of Suarez snub, but I couldn't decide exactly what I needed here on the Deck Stats and was toying on several ones. Still, probably I'll find Arashin War Beast, anytime. It's worth a try, but you'll always get some bulk after ordering and will probably make changes on the way of playing and building to the point when you'll either don't need most of the cards and sell them or exchange them with people for what you need, while the deck has totally different vision back from where it started. However, making the exclusion, that I have some small amounts of little sideboards to most of my decks, which probably doesn't count that much, and I always keep cards that I consider work-in-progress of building a deck that just aren't collection, since I don't have anymore or just don't maintain for long one. Like the Devoid Eldrazi and the Naya Slivers, however I haven't started on Hydras and Ninjas. There are non-sleeved cards at my home, but it's just not what it was like 5 or 6 years ago. I keep only the decks. I buy singles, but very rarely and I combine with friends for it. Also however, contrary to the cracking packs argument: if you don't have particular vision for building a deck it's not bad to buy a lot of cards till you achieve it, but at some point when you've made quite a lot of decks, especially a Tribal player like me: I and probably other Tribal players don't expect more than several cards from a set and it's just not worthy for me and for probably other players to buy sealed products unlike buying singles that we need. Like Forgotten Realms looked fun, but I don't want more than commonly Armory Veteran, Fighter Class and Bruenor Battlehammer as more unusual-one. Hobgoblin Bandit Lord and Den of the Bugbear are disputable but not bad as well, yet more expensive than usual for me. I'm always in a brewing stage, well it's more of having the finances, since I'm depending on my parents like never before after losing my job in 2018 and from little professional bachelor work in Bulgaria. My mother probably would buy me some cards if I ask her, but I'm trying to exploit the market and the club culture in Bulgaria as well and I'm not rushing for bragging to my mother while trying to make a good "Wantlist" at Card Market that it's not expensive either. It's depending on buying singles and contributions from friends for me and I'm concluding this.
Regards:
Chavo

codifies

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2021, 07:39:43 pm »
just to round off this thread, I ended up buying a bulk lot of commons and uncommons (800) for just over £8, 40 of each lands for I can't remember but certainly less than a fiver, oh and there was a crafty 2.50 bundle of rares I grabbed, I rounded it all off with enough legendaries singles with some intro credit and another fiver  :-\ but I've made a red/blue deck out of it and after sorting out the collection by colour and CMC I reckon I have enough to make a passable commander deck of any colour, and next I'll be experimenting with white / black....

I've really noticed that the cash value of a card is often no indication to its utility in the game, there are some cracking cards to play even in commons...

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 08:37:41 pm »
just to round off this thread, I ended up buying a bulk lot of commons and uncommons (800) for just over £8, 40 of each lands for I can't remember but certainly less than a fiver, oh and there was a crafty 2.50 bundle of rares I grabbed, I rounded it all off with enough legendaries singles with some intro credit and another fiver  :-\ but I've made a red/blue deck out of it and after sorting out the collection by colour and CMC I reckon I have enough to make a passable commander deck of any colour, and next I'll be experimenting with white / black....

I've really noticed that the cash value of a card is often no indication to its utility in the game, there are some cracking cards to play even in commons...

The key is that expensive cards are usually better versions of cheap cards.

Diabolic Tutor does the same thing as Demonic Tutor, but Demonic Tutor is $40 because it costs two mana, not four.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 08:48:56 pm »

I gotta say, it warms my cold British heart to see other deckstats users talking in £ and using British vernacular.

Sounds like a solid start for your collection. Glad you managed to find something that seems to have worked for you.

While Slyvester12 is absolutely spot on in terms of like for like (a tutor that costs more money is almost certain to be better than a cheaper one for example), I definitely agree that there are a lot of very cool cards at common that are very cheap and still very effective.

Village Rites is one of my favourite cards printed in the last few years and it costs pennies. An incredibly powerful effect at 1 mana, and being a common doesn't stop it being superb.

There are even cards that have been printed at common that are better in commander than their original formats. The classic example is Gray Merchant of Asphodel. An excellent card that costs next to nothing, and it gets so much better in a multiplayer format.

It's definitely possible to make a deck out of commons, uncommons and cheap rares/mythics and it still being formidable. Might not be the most optimal version of a deck, but it will still be able to jam at tables. And this is commander. As long as everyone is having fun, being optimal isn't important.

Loaded Shaman

• Muscle Mage
  • Decks
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2021, 01:50:42 pm »
Totally agree with this. Buy singles. Can't say more than that. I can only add another less likely or depending on the life situation you're in: for me always expect the best from friends and fellow MtG players. Why for me? Friend of mine, Ivan, here in Bulgaria always from time to time when he buys a booster box - gives me cards. Usually loads of cards and this way, with Kaladesh stuff, which is granted by my standards, one of the most casual Modern editions since good Vedalken-Elves Artificers and Aetherborn Artificers with Weldfast Engineer that's totally cheap and casual approaches, came just like that: from leftover cards from Ivan. However, I'm in such a stage in my life that I don't have virtually other cards beside decks. Or building decks. I'm making Naya Slivers and I'm mostly done with Devoid Emerge Eldrazi, but the cards are put aside and don't have sleeves yet, can't be said that are a collection rather than a "building manual". I'm about to do Hydras and Ninjas hopefully till the end of the year, but like brewing, when I'm done with making a deck, I get rid off of all cards that are redundant for me. I keep only decks. 30 Modern Dragon Shielded that's nearly identical with my Tribal pursuits (or close: 2nd Talrand, Sky Summoner in the Simic Drakes that people gave 31 stars is a mystery how it's in the actual deck and not here in the list); 7 Ultra Pro Guild stash, that's still Modern, yet I only play it in casual mind-set at home; 3 near-to-Precon EDHs. Only Adaptive Enchantment was given as a gift 2 years ago by my friends, "Draconom(wall)icon" is carefully assembled throughout the years, while "Nature of the Beast" was made in a punch last Christmas, when actually several people either bought me some cards like very rarely my mother who ordered the bulk of the Beasts and the spells and a friend from a club, who was good and kind enough to buy me the commanders: Marath, Will of the Wild and Gahiji, Honored One, while Boris (krgr) gave me Godsire, Mayael's Aria, Mayael the Anima, Titanic Ultimatum and Utopia Sprawl as more expensive ones. I'm mostly Modern player at regular intervals at FNMs however I have 3 quite neat EDHs, rarely tested due to the pandemic. With the collection of decks, I've built since around 2011, a full decade, and due to the renovation of my apartment last year: I got rid off most cards this way Ivan gives me, or cards I've accumulated through the years, which aren't in decks, while trying to either sell or, more of recent, exchange with people who have lot more than me as I've found recently a person in Sofia who gives a lot and has incredible amount to share even for free or for small sums of money in order to compliment my existing decks or creating some budgetary new Tribes. Expect the best from friends and fellow MtG players per my opinion. They can always fill your collection with unwanted cards by one's own standard which you can later exchange or sell or keep as a stash. People can always give you cards they don't need usually in civilized European countries and of course USA, where's the birthplace of the game. Yet, yeah as The Golgari Guy said: buy singles always. When I made my Nature of the Beast deck, I bought several Beasts that were just "surplus to the requirements" as Koeman said of Suarez snub, but I couldn't decide exactly what I needed here on the Deck Stats and was toying on several ones. Still, probably I'll find Arashin War Beast, anytime. It's worth a try, but you'll always get some bulk after ordering and will probably make changes on the way of playing and building to the point when you'll either don't need most of the cards and sell them or exchange them with people for what you need, while the deck has totally different vision back from where it started. However, making the exclusion, that I have some small amounts of little sideboards to most of my decks, which probably doesn't count that much, and I always keep cards that I consider work-in-progress of building a deck that just aren't collection, since I don't have anymore or just don't maintain for long one. Like the Devoid Eldrazi and the Naya Slivers, however I haven't started on Hydras and Ninjas. There are non-sleeved cards at my home, but it's just not what it was like 5 or 6 years ago. I keep only the decks. I buy singles, but very rarely and I combine with friends for it. Also however, contrary to the cracking packs argument: if you don't have particular vision for building a deck it's not bad to buy a lot of cards till you achieve it, but at some point when you've made quite a lot of decks, especially a Tribal player like me: I and probably other Tribal players don't expect more than several cards from a set and it's just not worthy for me and for probably other players to buy sealed products unlike buying singles that we need. Like Forgotten Realms looked fun, but I don't want more than commonly Armory Veteran, Fighter Class and Bruenor Battlehammer as more unusual-one. Hobgoblin Bandit Lord and Den of the Bugbear are disputable but not bad as well, yet more expensive than usual for me. I'm always in a brewing stage, well it's more of having the finances, since I'm depending on my parents like never before after losing my job in 2018 and from little professional bachelor work in Bulgaria. My mother probably would buy me some cards if I ask her, but I'm trying to exploit the market and the club culture in Bulgaria as well and I'm not rushing for bragging to my mother while trying to make a good "Wantlist" at Card Market that it's not expensive either. It's depending on buying singles and contributions from friends for me and I'm concluding this.
Regards:
Chavo

Great epic post right here. I couldn't agree more. Always expect the best from all players, keep it fun, and buy SINGLES!!!  8)