deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

What do you consider budget for a Commander deck?

less than $50
7 (21.2%)
less than $75
4 (12.1%)
less than $100
11 (33.3%)
less than $150
5 (15.2%)
other
6 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: What do you consider budget for a Commander deck?  (Read 902 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
What do you consider budget for a Commander deck?
« on: August 12, 2021, 01:08:24 pm »
Started a similar thread for 60 card decks in the general magic forum because of something I saw in another thread, curious what the answer is for a commander deck.

What do you consider budget and how did you come up with that amount?

ETA- my reasoning

For budget decks, I expect on average a cost of around $1 a card not counting basic lands if I'm going budget. That allows a little "splurge" on a card that may be $2 or $3. With that being said, I have participated in budget challenges that had limits of $50 or less to include one we did here on the site.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 02:09:02 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Eryx92

• Casual EDH Player with questionable Deckbuilding.
  • Decks
Re: What do you consider budget for a Commander deck?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 02:04:11 pm »
I think a good budget deck costs 50€ (about 59 Dollars) at max. If you want a significant power increase, going to 100€ (about 118 Dollars) is usually enough.

That my opinion based on playing Commander since 2018, it may vary depending on the format.
RIP Golos. <3

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 03:57:45 pm »
Budget to me is 200 or less considering there are decks that run in the thousand dollar range
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 05:03:22 pm »
What you consider budget is largely based on what your salary is.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 10:39:40 pm »
Or lack thereof. I'm sick from epilepsy and I depend on my parents, but still I'm brewing with pocket money from them. Still I made great Eldrazi deck and would love to do Hydras and Ninjas in the near future. Bellow by $75 by my pocket, jobless standards. Adaptive Enchantment is somewhere in that margin.
Regards:
Chavo

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 10:40:40 pm »
$8-10 total for the lands, $16-100 total for everything else. So an average of about $67, with an upper limit of about $110.
The lands have a smaller range since the only prices for them seem to be <$.50 or a small fortune, while decent cards of any other type could run anywhere between $.25 and $2.

Mind you, that's just at the time of building. Modifications over time that bring the total up I'd still say is a budget deck until you start going up over $200-300, since a couple $5-10 cards a month isn't exactly expensive.

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 04:47:16 am »
This is a tricky question for me. in 2018 I sold all my comic books and got into magic. Modern was hot at the time so I spent everything on nice burn deck that included 12 fetches at the time. Then come along commander. so I dump everything but 1 of each card and then I found goblins and now a proud owner of 550 of them. I started buying a draft box each month of any new set out or a older set if no new set were available. Again I kept 1 of each card I pulled the rest I traded for others I needed. So the short story is 50.00 is max and it has to be game changing for me to ever spend that much. But my average deck is around 800.00 - 1000.00  just because I own the cards not because I go out to build 1000 dollar decks. I play for fun, and I play in groups of 6-10 ppl. Must of the players have been playing for years before me and have seemlier decks.

my latest deck is a percon with 50.00 upgrade.
Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505

kingdevere

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 05:52:14 am »
I actually like to really budget some decks. So I consider under precon pricing ($40~$45) to be budget. Most of my decks are around $60 (with a couple of exceptions because I drew cards like Finale of Devastation and Jeweled Lotus). But, for example, when my friends and I did a budget challenge, we were under 20 bucks (not including basic lands). And that decks is surprisingly effective.