deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: MTG Rules question. Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive & Trepanation Blade  (Read 1192 times)

bigdogdch

• Decks
My play group had an argument over the combo of Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive & Trepanation Blade
My question is that once the blade is equipped and the creature is declared as an attacker that the creature is still unblockable.

Is this correct or no?
Thanks.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: MTG Rules question. Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive & Trepanation Blade
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 08:56:13 pm »
Once a creature you control has been blocked, changing its power to 1 or less won’t cause it to become unblocked. Changing its toughness to 1 won’t cause it to become unblocked, and changing its toughness to less than 1 will cause it to die.
This is the relevant ruling for Tetsuko Umezawa. Notice it says that changing the p/t won't change anything only once blockers have been declared. Trepanation Blade triggers in the attack step, so it could potentially buff a creature and cause Tetsuko to no longer apply to it.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 09:02:43 pm »
Trepanation Blade triggers on attack. Tetsuko only says "Creatures you control with power or toughness 1 or less can't be blocked."

So, if the creature is 2/2 or bigger after the trigger, it's no longer unblockable.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 01:07:15 pm »
in addition:

Trepanation Blade gives +1/+0.
So a creature with toughness 1 equipped with it is still unblockable even if Trepanation Blade triggers.

... Hm. I never mentioned that combo ... pretty cool. Got a new way to annoy my playgroup! :D