deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: MTG Showcase 2021 to announce 2022 set schedule  (Read 2200 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: MTG Showcase 2021 to announce 2022 set schedule
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 06:16:30 pm »
So we're all confessing to our burnouts now? Alright cool, my turn.

My enjoyment for this game died with the Walking Dead announcement. Whenever any sort of media (be it books, video games, podcasts) starts to become a parody of itself, it's a sign of its end of life. Universes Beyond is a bad joke. I never realized how much I actually cared about immersion in this game until now. We all know that Universes Beyond is just a cash grab, and it has made me not care about anything else that's being released.

But I don't want to quit this game because I like everything surrounding it. I've made some very good friends through this game, I like doing the stats work that comes with deckbuilding (have I ever mentioned that?), and I like that I have a gamestore I can go to when I want to unwind.

And I like Deckstats! I like you guys! This is the first internet community I've come across that isn't a testosterone fuelled cesspool. We're all friendly with each other and we stick out for each other. I don't want to lose any of that.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 07:16:25 pm »
I'm right there with you Morganator. If I had to trace my moment of "cooling off" on Magic, it would likely be that same The Walking Dead announcement. I'm not even someone who is that into the lore of the game but adding in universes from other media just didn't feel like Magic to me.

I too don't want to lose the place the game has in my life. I still enjoying deckbuilding, I still love coming to this site and conversing with all of you, and I still love playing with friends. I just don't have that excitement for the new cards anymore. I think why I haven't felt the desire to build around any of the new possible commanders or really immerse myself in the spoilers the way I use to is this fatigue. I use to always watch the streams of the events like this Showcase but I didn't this time. I'm hoping maybe that will all change with the Innistrad sets but I don't know that it will.

This game was my way to socialize when we moved to new areas for my work or my ex wifes work. We transferred a lot because of our jobs and given the nature of what mine was (management for a national grocery chain), it was inappropriate for me to socialize with people at work due to being the boss, and I suffer from PTSD stemming from my time in the Army so it's hard for me to "put myself out there". Finding the LGS and immersing myself into that community was my way to feeling "right" in our new places. Magic gives me a common thread to build on and overcome that issue. 

Anyway, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way.
This space for rent.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2021, 08:11:48 pm »
Yeah, I've really enjoyed getting to know y'all on deckstats and being part of an internet community that doesn't suck. This gave me a really good way to focus some time while commuting to work and living on my own overseas.

I still plan to lurk, I just probably won't be posting new decks or paying attention to releases.

At least for playing. I think magic will just be a side job from now on, as far as I'm concerned.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.