deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Opinions on proxies?  (Read 2531 times)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: Opinions on proxies?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2021, 05:36:56 pm »
Ummm.... Good question. I personally don't use them so it is either the real deal or nothing. If someone feels the need to use proxies then by all means have at it. I personally don't need every good expensive card in every deck. It actually takes away from my creativity if I started using proxies. I will play a little devil's advocate though and if proxies are allowed then someone could make an entire deck of proxies and just use that as their deck. In the end though it is just a game that should be enjoyable by all.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2021, 08:40:58 pm »
I have a controversial take on proxies.

Your take doesn't seem all that controversial.  Seems to be the most common take.

We do have a guy who comes to Commander Night with 20+ decks.  He shares them with others.  So he proxies anything high value.

We used to have a player (pre-pandemic) who would show up with a deck 50% to 100% proxied.  Never anything super broken.  Decklist is usually just a slightly upgraded precon.  They just didn't have the time to assemble all the cards to make a deck.

Good times always had by all.  (Even with proxies.)  And that's really the point.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2021, 09:43:16 pm »
I have a controversial take on proxies.

Your take doesn't seem all that controversial.  Seems to be the most common take.

I brought up the same argument on the JankEDH discord. They were not happy.

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2021, 11:36:17 pm »
Good times always had by all.  (Even with proxies.)  And that's really the point.

100% this.

Sure, someone could come with a proxied deck and pubstomp a pod playing super-powerful cards. However, a wealthy person could do the exact same with a deck of real cards. The problem in both cases is the lack of a (successful) pre-game discussion, not proxies themselves.

Of course, I also agree with Morganator's argument about supporting your LGS. In my experience, proxies are usually not allowed at official events in stores anyways, but if you're just using the table to play with your friends, and if that use is for free, you should spend some money at the store (proxies or not proxies).
Golgari is life. And death.