deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Looking for feedback on Iroas  (Read 1442 times)

pendraggon87

• Decks
Looking for feedback on Iroas
« on: September 29, 2021, 04:33:07 am »
Looking to get some feedback on my Iroas, God of Victory deck.  Lots of aggro and tokens, with some protection and removal to last through hate.  Probably need to think of more recursion and fix the lands a bit.

Iroas FTW
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 05:37:01 am by pendraggon87 »

Bonethousand

• Decks
Re: Looking for feedback on Iroas
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 05:38:01 pm »
Your mana curve is super high with almost no card draw. You're going to have a lot of dead hands without ways to dig for your ramp. I'd also suggest a few more ramp cards so you can drop those high cmc angels and elementals more consistently.

pendraggon87

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 07:51:40 pm »
Made a few changes, but unsure what to cut.  Goal was to add some card advantage and ramp.  Still a bit high on the average CMC though.

Revision 5

Added/removed cards:
+1 Arcane Signet
+1 Darksteel Pendant
+1 Dockside Extortionist
+1 Evolving Wilds
+1 Scroll Rack
+1 Teferi's Puzzle Box

Changed amounts:
-1 Snow-Covered Plains

pendraggon87

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 07:55:05 pm »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 07:27:33 am »
33 lands seems kind of light in this deck with that many four drops. Especially with some of the cards you have listed under ramp being more of making sure you hit your land drops than truly ramping you ahead (Land Tax, Tithe, Weathered Wayfarer).

I'd probably find something that you're borderline on and add two more lands. EDHRec has the average Iroas deck having 34 lands, but that's with an average of 26 spells 4 CMC or greater whereas your current build has 35 spells 4 CMC or greater (to include 2 of your ramp spells).
This space for rent.

AenimaD

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 07:34:09 am »
Smothering Tithe, Mana Crypt and Jeweled Lotus would be great additions in the deck, especially because it's boros.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 09:52:01 am »
I can see you're having trouble deciding what to cut. What exactly is the game plan for this deck, in very specific terms? Laying out exactly what you want to do is a good way of seeing which cards are less relevant to the deck's plan, and therefore what to cut! At least, it is for me...

For example, if your plan is to go aggro, cut some of the high-cmc beaters like Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Aurelia, the Warleader. While definitely good cards, they really shouldn't be in the "aggro" category in your deck, especially since they will sit in your hand dead for half the game until you reach the mana necessary to actually play them. Cutting these will streamline your early-game draws and your path to victory!

Keep in mind that an aggro deck relies on a large board state that is cumulated over the course of a few turns to win, so loading your deck with board wipes is probably not the best idea. Your deck clearly wants to make tokens, so why are there 5 wipes in here? Inferno makes sense, since you could swing in with everything then cast it at instant-speed with Iroas preventing the damage, but Terminus does not. I would suggest removing one or two board wipes. By the same logic of you wanting to spam the board with tokens and smash face in that way, Angelic Exaltation seems like it will lack effect.

Also keep a lookout for cards that don't make enough of an impact on the board. Take Lightning Helix, and compare it to Boros Charm. It's ok value for the mana, but it requires one of each of your colors and can only remove a creature with 3 or less toughness. This won't be very useful anywhere past about turn 5, unless you're lucky. Frontline Medic's ability is redundant with your commander, and Commander Esha is basically an unblockable 2/4 for 4 mana. Not that great. Launch the Fleet is also a bit lackluster in this regard.

Tyrant of Discord is just... bad. It's a 7 mana 7/7 with a possible etb removal trigger. The chances that the opponent chooses a land at random and you don't remove anything at all are way too high to run this, especially since you're looking to slim the mana curve.

Other cards that I would consider cutting are:

I really hope that this helped you, and I feel you! You've got to be ruthless, cutting cards.

And just a couple suggestions, even though I know you're looking to cut:

Mind Stone. It's nice, aggressive ramp early-game and some handy dandy card draw later.

Anthems! A really great way to win while going wide is with a Glorious Anthem or other similar effect. A 2/2 is a lot more effective than a 1/1, and if you throw in a couple anthems, your opponents will be quickly overrun.

Best of luck with the deck!

pendraggon87

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 04:28:08 am »