deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: New player, first time building commander deck  (Read 210 times)

FungusBoi

• Decks
New player, first time building commander deck
« on: October 08, 2021, 01:26:49 am »
Hi, this is my first time building a deck. I was hoping for some tips for improvements as I am a fairly new player. It is a black-green fungus tribal edh/commander deck with Slimefoot as commander. Any guidance is appreciated!
Link to deck: https://deck.tk/5ak11XnL

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: New player, first time building commander deck
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 01:50:41 am »
Welcome to the Commander format!

The first thing you're going to want to do is determine why each card is in your deck.  It could be card draw, ramp, token generation, removal, winning combo, etc.  Whatever it's purpose is.  You can take a look at some of my decklists (or many others' here on deckstats).  They are all divided into these utility sections.  Some of the sections will be unique to what your deck is trying to do.  But some universal sections are Ramp, Card Draw/Card Advantage, Removal.

You want at least 6 cards in each of these categories.  Ideally more if your deck's theme/colors can support it.  Since green is the best ramp color, it should be no problem getting 8 or 10 or more pieces of ramp.  Black is one of the best removal colors for creatures; green is one of the best colors for removing enchantments.  So getting 8 or 10 or more pieces of removal should be easy too.  Both of these colors can decently enough draw cards, an especially recur cards from the graveyard.

I haven't gone through and analyzed all of your card choices.  I'll leave that to you.  At first glance, though, it does appear that you will need a lot more ramp.  And 39 lands may be a bit high.  I usually aim for 34 in a two-color deck.

And as I leave you to sort out your decklist, I'll leave you with two pieces of wisdom:

Green is the best ramp color.  You will never use the filtering ability of a land like Shimmering Grotto.

As you're sorting your cards into categories, Yavimaya Elder is NOT ramp.  He does not put extra lands on the field.  He puts two lands into your hand.  He is card draw.
Happy Brewing!
:)