deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kalamax Deck Advice  (Read 715 times)

Zandramaas

• Decks
Kalamax Deck Advice
« on: October 09, 2021, 08:43:10 pm »
So, I’ve upgraded a copy of the Kalamax precon and managed to get in a few games with it. Generally seems to be playing pretty well, but I was hoping for some feedback from more experienced players.

Main points I am currently considering:
1- Are my land colour spreads about right? % wise, I have more sources for green and red than I possibly need as the deck is mainly blue currently.
2- Should I be including more ramp/fixing. I have the 3 relevant talismans, and I’m not sure if I should be including them or not. Currently I have dropped them and am using instant ramps spells, for added Kalamax value.
3- Are there any particular sections where I have too much/not enough?
4- Any general advice/comments/things to cut/add.
5- is it worth running some of the cost reducers for instants such as goblin electromancer?

Also, just to note I have tried to keep this on a budget, so please bear this in mind.

Thanks for any help/comments.

The deck is here: https://deckstats.net/decks/188153/2245766-kalamax
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 08:54:14 pm by Zandramaas »

Mmtkbb_30

• Decks
Re: Kalamax Deck Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 05:33:57 am »
My advice…
Pull that Path of Ancestry.  Kalamax doesn’t need his lands coming in tapped so much.  Besides your only running 13 creatures including your commader.  And those thriving lands.  Consider running the mdfc lands from Zendikar over those.
Secondly, your counterspells.  While staples in blue decks.  You really should be running the ones that are doing double duty.  Izzet Charm and Mystic Confluence were just reprinted and are pretty budget friendly.
You can check out my list if you want. I just updated it. It’s not really a budget list but could give you some ideas.
Other than that, I have to say Kalamax is one of my favorite decks.  I had to get it the day it was released.  Glad to see other players brewing decks at round him.  Keep it up.

Zandramaas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 07:20:32 am »
Interesting.

So I’d initially put in path of ancestry and the thriving lands as I was worried about colour fixing, as I am running a lot of basic lands. The MDFC lands are definitely ones I would like, just putting off upgrading it further due to the cost at the moment.

Initially, I was using a lot more of the modal spells I.e. Temur Charm etc as I was under the mistaken impression that a copy could be different modes to the original. I them swapped them for more efficient (budget) counters. Do you feel the extra flexibility is worth the increased cost / reduced efficiency?

Thanks for your feedback though, much appreciated.

I’ve had a quick look at your deck, there’s some interesting picks that I liked. Berserk for example seems like a really nice include, either as last resort removal, or trying for surprise commander damage kills with Kalamax.

I de that you run Wort, the Raidmother, what’s your mileage been like? Has she been worth running? Similarly, you run a number of cost reducer, both creatures and primal amulet. Have you found these to be worth it, or do they get removed too easily before gaining much value?

Hyedris

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 06:50:36 pm »
Hey, try swapping Return to Nature for Sundering Vitae. Convoke is great for having Kalamax tapped and making sure the spell is being copied.
I also like to have some combat tricks for an alternate wincon, like Berserk as you said, and also Invigorating Surge (only with two previous +1/+1 counters on Kalamax and it becomes big enough to kill), Hadana's Climb and Kessig Wolf Run.
Also think about adding Quandrix Apprentice, it is a good cheap option to draw the lands you need.