deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: I've been trying to build Eloise, Nephalia Slueth. (still needs 2 cuts)  (Read 2083 times)

Bizarro Soapy

• Squirrel Dealer
  • Decks
I'm not even sure if this is the right strategy to go for, but I've tried to maximize on the Clues being artifacts and creature tokens which sacrifice themselves (therefore triggering both of Eloise's abilities) as well as Surveil.

I really don't know what the wincon is other than incremental damage from death triggers, encore attacks, or chonky flyers.

The maybeboard is all cards I own, so if you think any of those need to switch back into the deck let me know.

https://deckstats.net/decks/131148/2253376-elouise#show__spoiler
Don't feed the Hungering Hydra

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
Re: I've been trying to build Eloise, Nephalia Slueth. (still needs 2 cuts)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 07:13:34 pm »
Perhaps without Underground Sea? Because its price is huge. I gave a star and upvote, but I can't imagine many decks would feature it. Fine card indeed but way too expensive. Otherwise, the Surveil and Investigate mechanic are worthy main themes for an EDH deck.
Regards:
Chavo

Bizarro Soapy

• Squirrel Dealer
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 05:28:41 am »
Perhaps without Underground Sea? Because its price is huge. I gave a star and upvote, but I can't imagine many decks would feature it. Fine card indeed but way too expensive. Otherwise, the Surveil and Investigate mechanic are worthy main themes for an EDH deck.
Regards:
Chavo

Yeah, Underground Sea is ridiculously priced, but I own a high quality proxy of each of the Alpha Duals (the Commander Kingdom storybook border ones from Etsy), and the group I play with regularly use all sorts of proxies.

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 01:11:00 pm »
I would cut Trail of Evidence and Winged Boots, it's also probably my personal bias but I might even cut Dimir Spybug. Now for my reasoning why:

For trail of evidence you have 17 spells that can trigger it, which is a decent amount, but I feel the slot is better used building synergy elsewhere and you already have a good amount of cards that do fairly unconditional surveiling compared to this.

Winged Boots - most of the stuff you'd want to have flying seems to have flying, so I'm not seeing that much benefit there; that leaves the ward 4 which while nice is something your opponents can force themselves through. If you need either evasion or protection in this slot I'm sure there are better options (whispersilk cloak is more expensive mana-wise but also does both parts better) but it may not be necessary either way.

Dimir Spybug can obviously grow very big and is obviously quite nasty when combined with any sort of repeatable surveil (doom whisperer is nice but without some lifegain can't boost it forever) but otherwise there's a decent setup cost and as mentioned with the bias I just prefer cards that give me their value quickly.

Obviously I couldn't 100% immerse myself into the deck synergies so could've missed something, but couple of things came to mind in general; if you're playing with proxies, wouldn't Urza, Lord High Artificer be pretty nice here potentially? Also some eldrazi scions would probably do a good job here as well. Cool stuff nonetheless!

Schau

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 03:46:33 pm »
Regards:
Chavo

I would recommend you stop telling people to not include a card in there deck because it is "too expensive". different people have different budgets, and just because you don't own a card because of its price, doesn't mean they don't own the card or have a playgroup that allows proxies. Instead, give actual relevant feedback that can be useful too them, like improved card selection, not just making it more budget friendly, unless the budget card you are suggesting is better than the expensive card in their deck.

Edit: there are also other ways to play Magic that don't involve purchasing cards. ie. websites like Untap.in
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 03:48:28 pm by Schau »

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 11:15:47 pm »
Oh, OK. If your playgroup is permitting it: OK, play with proxies. Yes, I sometimes make such remarks, but it happens especially when I see [Casual] or even "Budget" in brackets, that I make such remarks. I am neither nagging nor demanding. Play with whatever you want. I have close to 45 ready decks, most of which are Modern. There are 5 listed Tribal decks crossed with "X" that I don't have and I don't pretend to have. 3 EDH, but not necessarily ready, especially the Draconom(wall)icon. I would love to get probably as 51st deck some other EDH like the one with Daretti, Scrap Savant. Sometimes in the future, I hope. Play and have fun, guys.
Regards and Merry Christmas:
Chavo

Bizarro Soapy

• Squirrel Dealer
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 12:48:01 pm »
I would cut Trail of Evidence and Winged Boots, it's also probably my personal bias but I might even cut Dimir Spybug. Now for my reasoning why:

For trail of evidence you have 17 spells that can trigger it, which is a decent amount, but I feel the slot is better used building synergy elsewhere and you already have a good amount of cards that do fairly unconditional surveiling compared to this.

Winged Boots - most of the stuff you'd want to have flying seems to have flying, so I'm not seeing that much benefit there; that leaves the ward 4 which while nice is something your opponents can force themselves through. If you need either evasion or protection in this slot I'm sure there are better options (whispersilk cloak is more expensive mana-wise but also does both parts better) but it may not be necessary either way.

Dimir Spybug can obviously grow very big and is obviously quite nasty when combined with any sort of repeatable surveil (doom whisperer is nice but without some lifegain can't boost it forever) but otherwise there's a decent setup cost and as mentioned with the bias I just prefer cards that give me their value quickly.

Obviously I couldn't 100% immerse myself into the deck synergies so could've missed something, but couple of things came to mind in general; if you're playing with proxies, wouldn't Urza, Lord High Artificer be pretty nice here potentially? Also some eldrazi scions would probably do a good job here as well. Cool stuff nonetheless!

I see what you mean with Trail of Evidence, it just doesn't have enough enablers, so probably one I will cut.

Winged Boots/Whispersilk Cloak/Lightning Greaves/Swiftfoot Boots are always options for protecting the commander really, but I guess there's little sense in picking Ward over Hexproof or Shroud in this particular deck (as opposed to decks where the commander will be the target of your own spells or abilities often). I just wanted to try out a new option in this deck, which in hindsight isn't the best place to try it.

Dimir Spybug is a bit of a harder cut for me, simply because the deck is lacking in threats and blockers, and spybug is one of the few payoffs from surveil that can actually be pretty effective.

In terms of proxies, I only use the Alpha Duals because I have nice high quality versions and the cards themselves are so rare and really in a different league of "luxury cardboard", while also being low-impact quality of life additions. Urza is a good suggestion since it fits what the deck is trying to accomplish, but I'm not sure I would go that far out of my way to include it before I know if this strategy is even viable!

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll see if I can dig out an extra Whispersilk Cloak, and probably cut Trail of Evidence

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 01:48:05 pm »
You can also put Dimir Locket as a good Rock Artifact. Dimir Signet is good, but Dimir Locket is just as good and cheap. You can also sacrifice it to draw 2 cards. Just a suggestion.
Chavo

Schau

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 02:46:35 pm »
You can also put Dimir Locket as a good Rock Artifact. Dimir Signet is good, but Dimir Locket is just as good and cheap. You can also sacrifice it to draw 2 cards. Just a suggestion.
Chavo
Dimir locket is not as good as dimir signet, it is a fair bit worse in most scenarios, the difference between ramping on turn two and turn three is quite amazing actually, ramping on turn two feels really good because it allows you to play a good for mana spell on turn three, ramping on turn three often means you end up doing nothing until turn 4

Edit: The amount of incorrect information you have been spreading recently is getting a little bit out of hand.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 03:26:31 pm by Schau »

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2021, 03:49:45 pm »

Dimir Spybug is a bit of a harder cut for me, simply because the deck is lacking in threats and blockers, and spybug is one of the few payoffs from surveil that can actually be pretty effective.

In terms of proxies, I only use the Alpha Duals because I have nice high quality versions and the cards themselves are so rare and really in a different league of "luxury cardboard", while also being low-impact quality of life additions. Urza is a good suggestion since it fits what the deck is trying to accomplish, but I'm not sure I would go that far out of my way to include it before I know if this strategy is even viable!

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll see if I can dig out an extra Whispersilk Cloak, and probably cut Trail of Evidence

Understandable with the Spybug but I won't be deterred otherwise! I'll suggest cutting Whispering Snitch, yes he's a surveil payoff but once per turn seems small potatoes in the grand scheme!

Also I'm sure you'll like this one; swap Mephitic Ooze for Nettlecyst. Cyst comes with its own token that's sacrificeable, it's an artifact and it makes just about everything it attaches to that much more dangerous.

I like the deck more and more the more I stare at it, although there are of course some things one would do differently just from a playstyle standpoint. To the point about overcommitting to Urza I do believe the gameplan will work; many treasure and artifacts matter decks have definitely been able to do stuff and win :) No need to get the Urza of course, just trying to encourage!

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 05:39:34 pm »
That was just personal opinion. The rock artifact can be sacrificed really at turn 4 and give 2 cards. He plays from his deck a lot of card draw, surveil and investigate, he plays Time Sieve and Disciple of the Vault, he can sacrifice that artifact or tap it with Shimmer Dragon or with improvise of his cards. I don't know why you are so negative? Why can't I make a simple suggestion without getting downvoted? Really. Why such Cardinal animosity? The Dimir Signet really has to be pumped for mana and is good and gives double, but in my opinion Dimir Locket is just as good for his deck. He plays sacrifice, with drawing cards, improvise and surveil. What is wrong to state an opinion and make a suggestion? I am not arguing about rules. Why such Cardinal hatred and denial from you, Schau?
Regards and Merry Christmas, Bizzaro Soapy:
Chavo

STARBREAKER111

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 06:19:13 pm »
That was just personal opinion. The rock artifact can be sacrificed really at turn 4 and give 2 cards. He plays from his deck a lot of card draw, surveil and investigate, he plays Time Sieve and Disciple of the Vault, he can sacrifice that artifact or tap it with Shimmer Dragon or with improvise of his cards. I don't know why you are so negative? Why can't I make a simple suggestion without getting downvoted? Really. Why such Cardinal animosity? The Dimir Signet really has to be pumped for mana and is good and gives double, but in my opinion Dimir Locket is just as good for his deck. He plays sacrifice, with drawing cards, improvise and surveil. What is wrong to state an opinion and make a suggestion? I am not arguing about rules. Why such Cardinal hatred and denial from you, Schau?
Regards and Merry Christmas, Bizzaro Soapy:
Chavo

why would you want to spend all your mana on turn three and four to draw two cards? I would much rather have a mind stone because it only costs 3 mana to play and sacrifice in one turn unlike locket that takes a total of 7 mana. Schau is not the only person who thinks that locket is worse than signet (shown by the downvotes on your post). I am not saying locket is a useless card, but generally I want my ramp to be ramp and my card draw to be card draw, if the ramp comes with card draw with no significant downsides, like mind stone, then I will include it,  but if it has the potential to be card draw but is also slower, it is only useful in very casual games.

Edit: Is it possible that the reason you are getting downvoted for your suggestion because your suggestion wasn’t that good in the first place? something to think about before saying that its because they don’t like you or they are doing it to intentionally hurt you.

Edit 2: where do you get the idea that Schau is in denial? what are they denying?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 08:47:55 pm by STARBREAKER111 »

STARBREAKER111

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2021, 09:00:03 pm »
I would recommend adding more sac outlets, it seems you only have a total of 3 cards that sacrifice something other than lands.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2021, 09:11:06 pm »
It was called outright "incorrect information". I merely said it was an opinion. Whatever. I gave the deck a star. I gave some suggestions. I hope the guy will be able to figure it out which things to cut and which to keep. It's his deck and his call. I wish you, All: Happy Holidays.
Regards:
Chavo
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 09:23:15 pm by Elan Morin Tedronai »

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 09:43:04 pm »
It was called outright "incorrect information". I merely said it was an opinion. Whatever. I gave the deck a star. I gave some suggestions. I hope the guy will be able to figure it out which things to cut and which to keep. It's his deck and his call. I wish you, All: Happy Holidays.
Regards:
Chavo

I mean.. your only cut suggestion was a land due to the price tag, not because they might need less lands but because of the price.

It's also possible to have wrong opinions if there's sufficient evidence against ones opinion. Apologies for the following straw man but to display the point through hyperbole would you trust a person who said their opinion is that the World is flat? The merits of different mana rocks in EDH are obviously up for more debate in general, but quite barely in this case I'd suppose :D