deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Werewolf Gruul build, pls help  (Read 1157 times)

MajordomoTom

• Decks
Werewolf Gruul build, pls help
« on: January 17, 2022, 12:48:08 am »

Lusunu

• Decks
Re: Werewolf Gruul build, pls help
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 03:28:28 am »

MajordomoTom

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 03:35:54 am »
Cheaper to purchase.

But that's a good card.

MajordomoTom

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 03:38:14 am »
Plus gets card draw.

ntmtg

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 04:50:07 am »
You took the words right out of my mouth

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 05:05:40 am »
You may want a bit more ramp.  Farseek and Rampant Growth from your SB are good options.  Talisman of Impulse is good.  Wild Growth is kinda on theme.
Happy Brewing!
:)

MajordomoTom

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 01:34:20 am »
per suggestion, 2 added and 2 removed.

CMC of deck is now 2.84!

Revision 6

Added/removed cards:
-1 Berserkers' Onslaught
-1 Rage Reflection
+1 Talisman of Impulse
+1 Wild Growth

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 08:28:18 am »
It would be very helpful, both for you and for people helping, if you introduced custom sections such as Ramp, Card Draw, etc. This can be done during deckbuilding by selecting "create custom subsection".

I'd respectfully disagree with ApotecharyGeist about Talisman of Impulse: I think no green deck needs to run artifact-based ramp. Artifacts can be hit by Vandalblast and similar, and green has access to the much more powerful mana ramp. The same is true for Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet.

Three Visits and Nature's Lore are some of the best options since they can get you a dual: if you don't have the budget for a Stomping Ground, add an Highland Forest, a Sheltered Thicket and/or a Cinder Glade.

Other options are Farseek (already mentioned), Rampant Growth, Sakura-Tribe Elder, and Into the North if you want to switch to snow basics (this one also gets you Highland Forest).

35 lands is a bit low. I'd go for 37-8, maybe adding a couple MDFCs: Shatterskull Smashing and Turntimber Symbiosis are a must in any Gruul deck, otherwise Bala Ged Recovery is also great.

In a deck with only 35 lands and not heavy on ramp, I would never run Temple of the False God. You need at least 50 between lands and 2-cmc ramp spells to make that card good.

Why do you run Tibalt's Trickery in the deck? I'd replace it with more interaction, like Kenrith's Transformation or Ram Through or Chaos Warp.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 08:30:06 am by The Golgari Guy »
Golgari is life. And death.

The Golgari Guy

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 09:37:14 am »
Always nice when you try to be helpful and get downvoted :)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 11:13:10 am »
Always nice when you try to be helpful and get downvoted :)

I can understand the sentiment though, as the advice here wasn't that good.

Talisman of Impulse is a very good addition. Unlike the Farseek, Rampant Growth, and Sakura-Tribe Elder you suggested, both Talisman and Arcane Signet can be used for mana immediately. Because of the generic mana cost they can get you both of your colours, even if you kept a hand without any green sources. You can also do a very strong turn 1 play of land > Sol Ring > Talisman > something else.

The possibility of a Vandalblast should not affect your choices of cards in a primarily creature-based deck, as it's barely going to affect you anyway. Besides, I've rarely seen it get overloaded. It's just an overrated removal spell.

35 lands is a good number for a green deck. As you (MajordomoTom) get comfortable playing the deck you may even reduce that number (Temple of the False God should be replaced immediately though). You will want to increase your ramp package though. I count 10 ramp pieces, which isn't bad, but you'll want 3 to 5 more. I'm personally a fan of 1-cost dorks like Elvish Mystic, LLanowar Elves, and Fyndhorn Elves. Playing 1 of these on turn 1 is a very strong opening move, as it puts you at 3 mana on turn 2, while everyone else is at 2. There is also Birds of Paradise (costs a fair bit of money) and Orcish Lumberjack (high risk), but I recommend these less. Goblin Anarchomancer is also a good choice.

I would keep Tibalt's Trickery, as it's a good protection spell. Still, more interaction wouldn't be a bad thing.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 11:20:54 am »
As additional 'ramp' I would like to suggest Rhonas's Monument. The pumping ability is quite nice for green-based creature decks. And some werwolves do lack trample, right?  ;)
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

The Golgari Guy

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 11:34:27 am »

Talisman of Impulse is a very good addition. Unlike the Farseek, Rampant Growth, and Sakura-Tribe Elder you suggested, both Talisman and Arcane Signet can be used for mana immediately.

Nature's Lore and Three Visits also allow you to use mana immediately.

Personally, I almost never play artifact ramp in green decks (unless I have artifact synergies) since I find land-based ramp to be much more reliable. But I accept the fact that other people may see things differently. It may also depend on the meta (i.e., if you see a lot of mass artifact destruction or not).

MajordomoTom

• Decks

MajordomoTom

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 02:32:37 am »

MajordomoTom

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2022, 05:33:26 am »