deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Let's get political!  (Read 1182 times)

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
Let's get political!
« on: March 08, 2022, 09:55:05 am »
Hi all,

I need some help with one of my favorite decks, mono-blue Braids:

https://deckstats.net/decks/149180/1728026-eldraziless-braids/en

The deck's strategy is rather simple: play Braids, cheat into play big stuff, steal or copy the big stuff your opponents play.
One restriction I put on the deck is that it will contain no Eldrazis.

For a time, I tried to make the deck stronger by including a lot of counterspells and mean stuff like Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur. However, I got quite tired of this gameplay and now I'm shifting towards a more political build. The idea is to include cards that generate interesting decisions / dynamics for the table.

Some examples of "political" cards I've included:

- Coveted Jewel: Watch your opponents kill each other for it!
- Wandering Archaic: Make deals with your opponents to copy their removal spells, etc.
- Reins of Power: Take control of some player's board to take out another player with a surprise attack!

and another card I'll soon include is Tidal Barracuda (give your opponents flash for all their spells, but not during your turn!).

I'd like to add even more cards like these ones. As I said, I'm looking for cards that generate interesting dynamics and encourage alliances and deals, so that ideally I can manipulate my opponents into killing each other and eventually win (evil laughter!).

Curious to hear your suggestions!
Golgari is life. And death.

Bonethor

• Decks
Re: Let's get political!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 11:57:04 am »
First of all, cool deck idea and a good excuse to play big blue stuff! Not using the Eldrazi is otherwise a good call imo, you won't get the cast triggers with Braids anyhow and that pretty much leaves annihilator..

Replication Technique comes to mind, although it only copies your own stuff but you can negotiate who gets to copy as well.

Memnarch is pretty mean and eats a lot of mana, but you can hold it over your opponents to force them to do stuff.

Also not the sort of cards you asked about and I know you're trying to cheat stuff in, but High Tide and Energy Tap seem like they could do work here?

That's what I got the top off my head for now!

Edit: remembered one more; Illusionist's Gambit. Should be fun forcing people to send their bombs elsewhere :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 01:34:53 pm by Bonethor »

The Golgari Guy

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 11:12:10 pm »
First of all, cool deck idea and a good excuse to play big blue stuff! Not using the Eldrazi is otherwise a good call imo, you won't get the cast triggers with Braids anyhow and that pretty much leaves annihilator..

Replication Technique comes to mind, although it only copies your own stuff but you can negotiate who gets to copy as well.

Memnarch is pretty mean and eats a lot of mana, but you can hold it over your opponents to force them to do stuff.

Also not the sort of cards you asked about and I know you're trying to cheat stuff in, but High Tide and Energy Tap seem like they could do work here?

That's what I got the top off my head for now!

Edit: remembered one more; Illusionist's Gambit. Should be fun forcing people to send their bombs elsewhere :D

Glad you like the deck!  :)

Illusionist's Gambit seems sweet, I vaguely knew the card but never paid attention to it. I may actually try it!

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 12:54:02 am »
Perhaps you may like some of these cards, then?

https://deckstats.net/decks/159622/1933190-political-and-metagaming-cards/en

Not all will be suitable for a Braids deck... the Sphinxes appeal, though, as they are big creatures you can cheat out, have a political/dealmaking element, and draw you cards (which you want, so that you always have more/better things to drop with Braids).

The Golgari Guy

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 08:30:31 am »
Perhaps you may like some of these cards, then?

https://deckstats.net/decks/159622/1933190-political-and-metagaming-cards/en

Not all will be suitable for a Braids deck... the Sphinxes appeal, though, as they are big creatures you can cheat out, have a political/dealmaking element, and draw you cards (which you want, so that you always have more/better things to drop with Braids).

Thanks, this is a cool list! Definitely some interesting cards here

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 07:34:01 pm »
It's kinda poorly organised to be honest and definitely not complete, but I mostly use it as a dumping ground for cool cards to use in political/interaction-heavy decks.  :)

The Golgari Guy

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 01:11:48 pm »
Found another great political card: Wrong Turn! You can make sweet deals, like giving the huge threat that someone cheated into play to someone else, asking them to not use it against you in exchange!  :D