deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Hinata, Dawn-Crowned abilities  (Read 1032 times)

dokepa

• Decks
Hinata, Dawn-Crowned abilities
« on: May 10, 2022, 01:32:59 am »
I just want to clarify a few different scenarios using Hinata, Dawn-Crowned , I looked through the forums for answers but no one has ever really given a solid example of what some of the casting costs might actually look like . spells with (x) or (x)(x) like Conflagrate . I posted a few examples below and have written down what I think it would cost , just wanted to compare my answers to someone who has a better understanding of this card .

scenario 1 I want to tap everything my opponents own on the table hypothetical 20 permanents, and I cast gridlock.

scenario 2 Player attacks me with 10 creatures I cast Rock Slide and I target all 10

scenario 3 opponent drew 4 cards and i cast Even the score to draw 3 cards

Thanks for any help you can provide .

« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 01:42:26 am by dokepa »

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: Hinata, Dawn-Crowned abilities
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 03:11:20 am »
You would pay:
U
R
respectively. Hinata works like other cost reducers with X spells. You cast the spell, declare X, then pay costs. So, for each of those spells, since X is the number of targets, Hinata will reduce each by X.

EDIT: Belwas gave a more complete and accurate answer.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 03:13:39 pm by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 08:09:44 am »
Here is my interpretation:

Scenario 1 - Gridlock

You would pay U. There is no need to pay more mana into each target so you would need to pay 1 for each target, which is in turn reduced by 1 for each target, making it 0 for each target.

Scenario 2 - Rock Slide

It would depend how much damage you wanted to do.

If you wanted to do 1 damage to each, it would cost R (10 damage divided by 10 targets. The 10 for X is reduced by the number of targets so works out at 0).

If you wanted to do 2 damage to each, it would cost 10R (20 damage across 10 targets. So X is 20, minus 10 for the number of targets).

Basically you decide what value you want X to be, take away the number of targets you want to target, add an R and that's your cost. This formula is important as you don't have to do the same amount of damage to each target.

Consider a board with a 1/1, 2/2 and a 5/5 you want to kill. You need 8 damage total and there are 3 targets. 8-3+R. You pay 5R.

Scenario 3 - Even the score.

You pay for this as normal as it doesn't target, so gets no cost reduction from Hinata. You want three cards, you pay three mana.

Hinata only cares about targets, not X spells in general, so no cost reduction for Even the Score.

Conflagrate (or any XX spell) is interesting. Because of the way cost reduction is applied, you don't get to double up on your discount.

Taken from Conflagrate rulings:

"To determine the total cost of a spell, start with the mana cost or alternative cost (such as a flashback cost) you’re paying, add any cost increases, then apply any cost reductions. The mana value of the spell is determined only by its mana cost, no matter what the total cost to cast the spell was."

Given the same board state described before, you want X to be 8 (so base cost is 88R or 16R). Then you apply the reduction of 3 for the three targets. You end up paying 13R.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 08:34:59 am by CleanBelwas »

dokepa

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 11:46:20 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I am glad to know I was correct on the scenarios that you have covered. You have helped me understand how the card functions properly given the different scenarios "with" and "without" targets which is why I chose Even the score , I was originally going to add The Meathook Massacre then I read the text as it states "each creature" and in that case their would be no cost reduction for me or cost increase for an opponent. Again thank you !

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 03:11:55 pm »
@CleanBelwas I knew I shouldn't have answered this tired. Thanks for providing better info.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.