deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Hydra EDH - Comments  (Read 272 times)

Comment Bot

Hydra EDH - Comments
« on: November 16, 2022, 07:37:33 pm »

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
Re: Hydra EDH - Comments
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 07:37:33 pm »
I like the deck, have some questions.  I am currently out of my tribal phase, but my first tribe/deck was hydras so I have a fondness of them, never did Gruul I like a lot of the things you have going on

1. Why are you committing so many cards to not letting you hydras be blocked by fliers?  Does your playgroup use an excessive amount of flying creatures / weenie tokens they chump block you with?  You will have huge hydra creatures, why do you care if they want to block with their Dragons/Demons/Angels/Sphinx's and their creatures get killed by your giant monsters?  To me, I think of forcing my opponents to block as a form of creature removal.  Personally, instead of all those slots you have, I would much rather put in way more trample enablers, so they can't chump block with any creatures, not just fliers.  I agree that YOU blocking fliers is tough, so things like Sandwurm Convergence and Chaosphere I get, but even then I think if one of my opponents was playing big scary fliers, I would just focus on attacking them with my huge hydras first to knock them out and/or force them to block with their less-big scary creatures.

2. Mana base?  33 lands seems waaay low for these expensive CMC creatures.  I would figure 38 at an absolute minimum, and it looks like you don't have any artifacts and very few other sources that generate mana for you.  I get you are relying an Kolthys to provide mana for you, but 1 colored mana on your 1st main phase, is that really enough to cast these creatures? 

Then, you can afford a $400 Taiga and a $50 Wooded Foothills, but your running Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic, Kazandu Refuge, and Rugged Highlands??  Ouch... very slow, enter tapped, no real abilities or ways to help you.  I would look instead at cards like Boseiju, Who Endures , Highland Forest (can be searched for), Lair of the Hydra (on theme), Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Cragcrown Pathway, Rockfall Vale, Karn's Bastion, Castle Garenbrig, Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth (when you don't need red mana it lets your mountains produce green for you), Yavimaya Hollow for protection, Racer's Ring (at least you can sac it later to draw a card), Skargg the Rage Pits (to give trample), Copperline Gorge, Spire Garden, Grove of the Burnwillows (who cares if they gain 1 life, you will be hitting them for 20 with your big baddies), Bonders' Enclave, Cavern of Souls if that's your thing. 

As far as your mana producers go, I think Karametra's Acolyte will be an all-star in the deck, after you get around the fact it costs 4 mana to get into play to begin with.  The rest I don't really get tbh.  It seems likely you want your Domri's producing mana for you, and that's fine I guess if PW's are your thing.  Jiang?  You want your huge hydra creatures being used to tap for a single mana?  Vivien seems slow and clunky.  How often are you passing your turn holding up 5+ mana to flash in a decent hydra?  Bloom Tender, a $20 card to produce 2 mana, 1 green and 1 red, on a 1/1 body that dies to anything?  I would recommend Springbloom Druid (lands are much harder to remove than creatures), Rampant Rejuvenator (on theme), Auger of Autumn can replace Vivien with a similar effect and help you find lands, Fertilid fits the +1 counter subtheme, Gyre Sage fits +1 subtheme and should evolve a lot, Somberwald Sage for casting your big creatures.

3. I'm seeing a VERY low amount of card draw/card advantage in this deck.  You look like you would be top decking almost immediately.  There are some very good green staples that you should be able to take advantage of with your Hydras.  Garruk's Uprising a MUST, Kodama of the West Tree, Greater Good, Momentous Fall (paired with Lifeblood Hydra is insane), swap Kavu Lair for Colossal Majesty or Elemental Bond so only you benefit from the draw instead of letting your opponents score too, Glorious Sunrise, Inspiring Call, Return of the Wildspeaker, Zendikar Resurgent.

4. General Good Stuffs that could help:
Maybe best green card in MTG outside Gaea's Cradle - The Great Henge
Elementalist's Palette
Astral Cornucopia
Doubling Season
Primal Vigor (cheaper version of doubling season, but effects all players)
Hardened Scales
Overwhelming Stampede
The Ozolith
Rhona's Monument
Mage Slayer
Boxing Ring
Branching Evolution
Unnatural Growth
Asceticism
Fires of Yavimaya
Mana Bloom
Primal Rage
Shadow in the Warp
Master Chef
Death's Presence

Anyway, those are my (likely unwarranted haha) thoughts.  Maybe in your playgroup a lot of the cards you have in matter a lot more than they would in mine.  I like a lot of your ideas though, might be time I think about going back to a Tribe for some Gruul fun!

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 07:50:07 pm »
Oh, I forgot, my biggest question! What does Ground Seal do for you?  It confused me a lot, but I'm sure you have a purpose for it.  Is it meant to turn Kolthys OFF when only you have a graveyard left?  I was trying to figure out how that worked.

N0Obz

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 03:18:01 am »
Hydra Broodmaster is a super cool and fun card that is terrifying to go up against, especially with doubling season, which as another commenter said, should go in.

taros069

• Budget Battle Builds is the name of the game!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 03:57:26 am »
Sorry for way late replies, its been an unbelievably busy week. Flier hate is due to group meta. I deal with at least 2 dragon decks and at least 1 Angel deck in almost every match. This is in very early concept testing and I just haven't had any time to play with what I have vs what i don't and wish to get. The taiga is not actually owned as of yet, but it is on the want list and ironically, I have 3 of the wooded foothills and the other current dual lands (got lucky on a couple of random yard sale grabs during covid). Ground seal was added due to a Meren deck that is no longer being used so will be getting replaced soon.

taros069

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 04:01:56 am »
Also, in regards to Ground Seal and Klothys, the deck is intended to be built to not have to rely on Klothys doing its thing..so in most cases, I honestly wont care if it in play or not. It's a similar trick i have use dint he past with deathrite shaman in play. Gave me a lot of politic control at times when key pieces ended up in graveyards

taros069

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 04:03:06 am »
Appreciate the recommends though, definitely opening up so new ideas