deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Bank of America report on Hasbro  (Read 586 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Bank of America report on Hasbro
« on: November 18, 2022, 04:55:30 pm »
It's real annoying that I found the actual report a few days back, but now I can only find tertiary sources.

https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/hasbro-shares-plunge-after-bank-of-america-report-downgrades-companys-rating/

https://www.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/magic-the-gathering-analysis-prompts-bofa-to-double-downgrade-hasbro-432SI-2943159

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/11/14/stocks-making-the-biggest-moves-in-the-premarket-hasbro-oatly-advanced-micro-devices-and-more.html

Hasbro is trying to squeeze extra money out of “Magic: The Gathering” fans in the short term, Bank of America says. That could hurt the long-term business. Analyst Jason Haas downgraded the toy stock to underperform from buy as recent changes to the “Magic” cards brand amount to Hasbro “killing its golden goose.” The analyst also slashed his price target on the stock to $42 from $73. The new target implies downside of 33.8% from Friday’s close. “The primary concern is that Hasbro has been overproducing Magic cards which has propped up Hasbro’s recent results but is destroying the long-term value of the brand,” he said in a note to clients. “Magic: The Gathering” is a trading card business that accounts for about 15% of Hasbro’s revenue and 35% of EBITDA after sales doubled during the pandemic due to financial stimulus. The toy company has tried to capitalize on that demand by upping the number of new releases and production volumes. But Haas said several players are getting increasingly turned off to new releases amid unwelcomed changes from the company. He said the company is increasing releases for short-term financial gain with little care over how the brand will suffer longer term. Players now feel like they can’t keep up with new releases and are instead playing a different version of the card game where older cards can be used, he said. Seven of the last eight releases have declined in value by Bank of America’s count. National retailers have cut the brand or are increasingly focused on moving old inventory, according to a Bank of America check of stores. That comes as retailers turn to promotions for a wide range of products to try to move gluts of inventory as consumers roll back spending on goods coming out of the pandemic. Haas also said he is “concerned” by the company’s decision to release a 30th anniversary set that includes four booster packs for $999. He said that is “excessively” high compared to a normal set pack’s $5 price. Reprints can hurt the secondary-sale market because the packs include cards from the “Reserved List,” which is a group of cards Hasbro previously promised to never reprint. Some have argued its not a true reprint since the anniversary cards cannot be used in tournaments, while others say it doesn’t matter because their existence will still drive down scarcity and, by extension, value. “This set has devalued many high-value cards, and collectors are concerned that Wizards will reprint more,” he said. Businesses and collectors would sometimes purposefully hold packs to sell later at higher price as demand outpaced supply, he said, but that system is now collapsing due to production increases and the unexpected reprints. The aggregate price of Reserved List cards peaked in mid 2021 at more than $250,000, but is now down to around $150,000. He said the changing secondary market could push card collectors to “Pokémon,” “Yu-Gi-Oh!” and “Flesh and Blood” instead. Meanwhile, Haas said Hasbro could improve its outlook if it has a better slate of releases next year. The stock dipped 6.2% in the premarket. It’s down 37.7% this year. Hasbro didn’t immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment.

So let me preface this by saying that stock price is not a great representation of a company's success. It can be indicative at times, but it can also be manipulated by good or bad press. I'm sure we all remember the GameStop incident in early 2021. Case in point, right after the above report was published, Hasbro's stock dipped even more.

The report itself seems to finally say what we've all been saying for a while now; the over-saturation of product is causing wallet-fatigue. People just don't want to spend money on magic anymore, let alone $1000 USD for the 30 year collector pack, which are effectively proxies.

All of this comes after the Q3 financial report, which reported a decrease in sales from the previous year.

https://hasbro.gcs-web.com/news-releases/news-release-details/hasbro-reports-third-quarter-financial-results

What does this mean for us?

First off, let's get this out of the way; the game is not dying. Far from it. There are more magic players now than ever before, with an estimated 40 million players worldwide. It's still in a good spot, for now. This just means that Wizard's of the coast are going to need to modify their current market plan from pushing product non-stop to something more lax.

Second, there is a concern for the viability of this game in the long term. Anyone that knows even a little bit about marketing knows that the current overload of releases is unsustainable. Wallet fatigue is a real thing. For a while, I thought that Hasbro was going to try and sell-off Magic. Pumping out all of this product in the short term would inflate the company's perceived worth, which would sell it at a higher price. If that was the plan though, that ship may have sailed.

Third, expect a lot of older players to switch away from Magic to other hobbies. Whether this is permanent or temporary is completely up to them. You may have seen it start already. When's the last time any of us heard from WizardSpartan, Marshstepper78, or DelverMage?

To close this all off, while Magic is currently falling in profitability, things usually uptick in Q4's holiday season. Hasbro is expecting to bounce back from this quarter, but only time will tell. We just have to wait, spend our money wisely, and always pay the 1.

SeraphimRisen

• Decks
Re: Bank of America report on Hasbro
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 03:15:22 am »
I wanna point out this "deep dive" report also seems to just not be a deep dive, either. Yeah, some of this sucks like the perpetual release cycle, it exhausts people, and there is a lot to be concerned about! but...

1) Only a sample size of 8 cards with a relatively short analysis of the price, including overall card values, while in reality the same figures they're citing affect other TCG's as well
2) Only example of shrinking retail footprint was some kinda retail store, possibly two stores, which have been shrinking TCG footprints for years.
3) The report treats MtG as *almost* solely a financial investment akin to stocks, and ignores that many players, especially less vocally online ones, filthy casuals like me who just want shiny cards and fun at the table with friends

And there's a few other issues I have with the report. I have concerns with how Magic is being handled, but I also think a lot of people assume because *THEY* don't like something (Universes Beyond is my favorite example of this), and because their FRIENDS are making noise about it, it's a failure. I see UB getting new people into Magic all the time, hell, it got me into it. And it sells well.

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 03:05:48 pm »
3) The report treats MtG as *almost* solely a financial investment akin to stocks, and ignores that many players, especially less vocally online ones, filthy casuals like me who just want shiny cards and fun at the table with friends
I suppose that’s not surprising. This is a financial report, so it’s less interested in the quality of the product except insofar as it leads to business success or not (and one’s product is hardly the only factor), and more the financial/snake oil/Ponzi scheme aspect of it. It’s why people like bitcoin so much. Notably they seem to be pro dumb things like the reserved list, or the notion of a trading card game.

SeraphimRisen

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 06:46:31 pm »
Agreed. As far as I can tell, other than the hype it drums up, and I could be wrong, I don't understand how wizards of the coast directly benefits from the secondary market for cards anyway. I mean granted. I've known what magic is for years before I started playing it just because of stuff like the black lotus and stuff like that. I just hope it's not on the way out after I just got into it. I wonder if we'll have a couple rocky years, but maybe it'll smooth out in a bit. That's what I hope anyway. But given what they're doing with my other favorite property, I'm just watching wizards pretty closely right now to figure it out. On the plus side, if they ruin magic, or kill it all together somehow, I'll always have the cards I have to play with friends and I'll always have my old D&D stuff on the other side of things