deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Puzzle 2: the Unnecessarily Complicated Edition  (Read 637 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Puzzle 2: the Unnecessarily Complicated Edition
« on: January 19, 2023, 05:52:41 am »
This is a very late Commander/EDH game board state based on a game from last night albeit slightly modified. The solutions are probably going to be lengthy and there are probably some that I missed entirely but I'll entertain you with one.

The players are Albert (you), Bertha, Cecily, and Daniel.

The puzzle starts at your untap step.

Commanders:
Life totals:
  • Albert (you): 1
  • Bertha: 25
  • Cecily: 14
  • Daniel: 21

Cards in hand:
  • Albert (you): 21
  • Bertha: 5
  • Cecily: 3 (a land, a sorcery, and Dispel - these are known due to Gitaxian Probe)
  • Daniel: 7

Cards in library:
  • Albert (you): 0
  • Bertha: 55
  • Cecily: 68
  • Daniel: 72

Start by assuming the following about your opponents:
Your mana production on the battlefield for a total of (2x4)+1+2+1+1+2 = 15 mana:
Otherwise your board has the following cards:
Your hand is big (21 cards). It has the following cards:
Your board has 15 cards. Your hand has 21 cards. Your graveyard has lands, instants and sorceries for a combined total of 18 cards. The most relevant card is a Swan Song in your graveyard. You have 44 face-up cards in exile, one Praetor's Grasp'd Aetherise and that one foretold Tales of the Ancestors. (Yeah, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger is pretty devastating.)

I'll try to avoid direct linking in the spoiler. SPOILERS CONTAIN SOLUTIONS

Your first objective is to survive your beginning phase. Move to your upkeep.

Scenario 1:
Cast Teferi using an Is-land (3 left untapped) and Sol-Ring.
Cecily has now a choice: cast Aetherise or do nothing. They choose to tap out to cast Aetherise attempting lethal with the Rona trigger.
Cast High-Tide with the Mox.
Cast Stif-le using an Is-land (2 left untapped), float 2 blue mana.
Cast Fo-il targeting Aetherise (discard an Is-land and Howling-Mine).
Let the stack resolve.
Use Academy Ruin's ability (using the 2 floating blue) to put Howling-Mine on top of your library.
Cast Snap-back (exiling Jace from your hand), targeting Kami.
At this point you can safely move to your draw step since Cecily is tapped out and Rona is neutered, Kami isn't on the field anymore and you have a card in your library. Teferi was an insurance against Rona. It allows us to cast High-Tide and skip one potential Rona trigger we don't have a counter for.

Scenario 2:
Cast Teferi using an Is-land (3 left untapped) and Sol-Ring.
Cecily has now a choice: cast Aetherise or do nothing. They choose to do nothing (in order to save mana for Dis-pel).
Use Teferi's -3 ability to phase Rona out. Theoretically Cecily could now react by casting Aetherise in response but in that case we simply follow the steps above. After this point we can simply Comman-deer (exiling FoW and Rite) the Dis-pel which means we're basically free to do anything we want.
Cast High-Tide with the Mox.
Cast Serum Vis using an Is-land (2 left untapped), float 2 blue mana.
Cast Fo-il targeting Serum Vis (discard an Is-land and Howling-Mine).
Let the stack resolve.
Use Academy Ruin's ability (using the 2 floating blue) to put Howling-Mine on top of your library.
Cast Snap-back (exiling Jace from your hand), targeting Kami.
At this point you can safely move to your draw step since Cecily's Rona is neutered, Kami isn't on the field anymore and you have a card in your library.

Nice, you survived to your main phase. The following steps are the same regardless of whether Cecily has the Dis-pel or not - use your Comman-deer (exiling FoW and Rite) to gain control of it and make it point at Comman-deer to get rid of it.

Start anyway by playing an Is-land. You've now got 3 untapped Islands (3x3 mana), Metamorph copying Sol-Ring (2 mana), Thought-Vessel (1 mana) for a total of 12 available mana.

If you ended up with scenario 1:
Use Teferi's -3 to phase the Suture-Priest out.
Cast the Crawler (7 mana left).
Cast Echo (1 mana left).
Let the Sphinx do the work - i.e. you draw 7 anyway and when the opponents each draw 7 you may draw 2 for each card drawn for a maximum of 7 + 2x3x7 = 49 cards.

If you ended up with scenario 2:
Cast the Crawler (7 mana left).
Counter the trigger from Suture-Priest with Stif-le (6 mana left).
Cast Echo (0 mana left).
Let the Sphinx do the work - i.e. you draw 7 anyway and when the opponents each draw 7 you may draw 2 for each card drawn for a maximum of 7 + 2x3x7 = 49 cards.

Afterthought: there is actually simpler solution compared to mine. It uhh brute forces the whole thing. Mine is definitely more elephant.

I asked Cecily for a solution and they came up with the simpler solution I alluded to.

We also constructed a completely new winning line which is pretty darn cool:

It's mill. Step 1: Remove Rona
1) Cast Snap-back (exiling Jace) targeting Rona.
2) Cecily casts either Aetherise or Dis-pel. Cast Foil targeting Cecily's spell; discard an Is-land and Echo of Aeons. If Cecily holds back we can 3) simply cast Serum Vis as a placeholder spell to Foil. For later we can simply Comman-deer whenever Cecily decides to cast Dis-pel. It's all good as long as Rona is gone.
4) Tap an Is-land for UU. Cast Stif-le on the Rona trigger. (3 Islands remaining untapped)
5) Use the remaining U for High-Tide.

Step 2: Get to the Draw
6) Cast Echo of Aeons by tapping an Is-land (2 remaining untapped). Before resolving you should have: 0 cards in library, 23 cards in the graveyard, 15 cards in hand, 1 card on the stack, and 1 new face-up exiled card: Jace. For the purposes of Echo this totals 38 cards.
7) Proceed to draw 7 (Echo) + 28 (Sphinx) cards leaving 3 cards in the library. If you had to use Comman-deer you only draw 7+26 cards.
8.) Proceed to the draw step. You should have 35 or 37 cards in hand and 1 in the library after drawing. We'll assume the worse number, 35.

Step 3: So you refreshed everyone's library and now you're going to mill them?
9) Play an Is-land (3 untapped, 1 tapped). For reference we've also got 2 untapped Sol Rings, Vessel, Mox, Academy Ruin, and Coliseum (useless at 1 life). At worst 34 cards remaining in hand.
10) If High-Tide is the last card in your library go ahead and tap Mox for U to cycle the Sandbar to get it back. If not, continue. At worst 34 cards remaining in hand.
11) Cast High-Tide using an Is-land (2 untapped remaining). Float UU. At worst 33 cards remaining in hand.
12) Cast the foretold Tales. Opponents draw to 33 cards.
13) Cast the Folio by tapping an Is-land (1 untapped remaining) and the Vessel. Float UUU.
14) Cast the Impersonator by tapping a Sol-Ring and using the floating mana; still floating U. Have Impersonator enter as a second Folio.
15) Activate both Folios by tapping an Is-land (0 untapped remaining) for UUUU (+U from floating earlier) and tapping Academy Ruin for C.
16) It is glorious but our opponents had 33 cards in hand and they mill 2x33 cards totaling 99 cards which ensures they're completely out of cards. Pass the turn!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 05:35:28 pm by MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Bonethor

• Decks
Re: Puzzle 2: the Unnecessarily Complicated Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 10:20:37 am »
Okay let's give this a go, I might miss something but I'll go with the clearest line I see.

Rona and Suture Priest need to go, so first order of business after playing an island is to cast Teferi, master of Time and phase out Rona. Now one can High Tide and Snapback Suture Priest, Foiling the dispel by discarding an island if Cecily tries to counter either one. At this point one should have a blue floating or used one from chrome mox if it produces blue. Sol ring and an island tapped and minimum 9+1 blue available from islands and 4 colorless if chrome mox had a colorless card exiled.

Cast psychosis crawler, cast Echo of Eons and kill everyone with Psychosis Crawler thanks to your consecrated sphinx triggers from them drawing in addition to you.

Edit after looking: doesn't Cecily only have 3 mana so they can't Aetherize? Regardless you have enough mana to stifle the trigger from commander

I hope that works? :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 10:23:15 am by Bonethor »

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 02:09:06 pm »

Edit after looking: doesn't Cecily only have 3 mana

The Extraplanar-Lens doubles also Cecily's blue mana from Islands. They have 4 mana and 5 if High-Tide resolves.

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 02:39:27 pm »

Edit after looking: doesn't Cecily only have 3 mana

The Extraplanar-Lens doubles also Cecily's blue mana from Islands. They have 4 mana and 5 if High-Tide resolves.

ah true, haven't played that card too much so forgot that it applies to everyone else as well. I guess one would usually try going for snow-covered islands due to that.

Have to use a bit more resources to keep them in check then, but one seems to have everything needed. Cool puzzle, only would've liked to know my commander and their status although it can be assumed to be the Kami and also the card exiled with Chrome Mox although it's pretty clear if one can be totally sure we're monoU.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 03:23:11 pm »
Cool puzzle, only would've liked to know my commander and their status although it can be assumed to be the Kami and also the card exiled with Chrome Mox although it's pretty clear if one can be totally sure we're monoU.
Added this information to the original post! Thanks for the feedback.