deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tópico: Salt stories  (Lida 586 vezes)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Salt stories
« em: Setembro 04, 2023, 01:46:27 am »

The salt miners. The rage-quit. The often spoken of but rarely seen table flip. We've all heard stories of people loosing their cool over a card game. If you've played this game long enough, you've witnessed something. So let's hear your salt stories. Is there a regular at your local game store who's always in a bad mood? Do you have any stories about someone who got really mad about a certain combo or card? And even more controversially... Have you ever been big mad about a game?

I'll start. A while back I posted this story in the "Games you've enjoyed" megathread.

So now alarm bells are going off with the other two players. One of them is gunning to kill Pako. Here's how it went down.

First he casts Chaos Warp. Stubborn Denial for that.

He casts Chord of Calling for 8 mana. I counter it with Memory Lapse. I'm not going to find out what he was going for.

On his next turn he cast Primal Might to give his commander (Raggadragga) a buff to fight Pako. In response I use Decisive Denial to get Pako to fight before the buff comes in.

He's quite annoyed at this point. Noticing that Pako only needs two more damage to be removed, he casts Voracious Hydra with X=2. I cast Seedling Charm to regenerate Pako.

He rage quits. Throws a fit, packs up his cards and leaves. My last opponent casts Whelming Wave. I don't have any more tricks. I lose.

So there's a little bit more to this story. I thought this was a one-off thing, but turns out the dude was like this for pretty much every game. He hated it when things didn't go his way. The morning of the next day he was full on yelling at this poor dude in his pod. I didn't get to witness it as I was showing up later for the event so I heard about this second-hand. The judges kicked him out of the event. It was the talk of the rest of the day.

On day 3, he returned and kept his cool. No problems.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Salt stories
« Responder #1 em: Setembro 04, 2023, 05:55:10 pm »
The thing that comes to mind most is a player at the shop I played in before I moved to where I am now. We had this guy that was notoriously a bad sport to the point that the owner ended up having to tell him not to come back because he was costing the shop other players. We were playing a FNM. We both were 5-0 at the end and he insisted we play it out instead of splitting the prize (at this time, the prizes were simply a promo card and $10 store credit). Anyway, we were both running Exalted decks (tells you how long ago that was). His was a very expensive deck that included Archangel of Thune (it was just released). Mine was a budget version I threw together that day after work out of cards laying around the house because I hadn't obtained the cards I really wanted for my deck. I beat him in the first game no problem. Second game we're both low on life but I put out a Vampire Nighthawk and he just can't swing with enough to kill me (clearly I would block the biggest creature with Nighthawk and with lifelink gain just enough life to survive his attack from his other creature). Next turn I put out another Vampire Nighthawk and attack with the first one, Exalted triggers it hits for 5 taking him down to 2. He draws his card and starts cussing about how his was the much better deck and the only reason he lost was he just didn't draw the right cards. He was a better player and it was only the draws that determined the game, still cussing. The owner comes over and tells him he needs to tone down the language. The guy picked up his cards and said "F this place, I'm out of here and never coming back". Two days later he was back with the same attitude but a little calmer as the owner told him he was on thin ice with his behavior.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Responder #2 em: Setembro 05, 2023, 03:47:04 am »
"F this place, I'm out of here and never coming back". Two days later he was back with the same attitude but a little calmer as the owner told him he was on thin ice with his behavior.

It's amazing how many people say "I'm never coming here again" and then just... show up again.

mynameiscalled

• I'm your one-man cult
    • MiseryBusinessMTG
  • Decks
« Responder #3 em: Setembro 05, 2023, 08:15:46 am »
(ง ͠ಥ_ಥ)ง

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Responder #4 em: Setembro 12, 2023, 01:50:37 am »
I'm probably guilty of this to some extent.  I really hated the Arena only cards.  I play paper, but my brother only plays on Arena, so I try to keep up a collection there and earn what I can when I can.  When the Alchemy cards first came out, I wouldn't rage quit, but I would rope anyone that played a single card that wasn't in paper.  I feel bad about it now, as there was no way for my opponents to know that they were playing against someone who cared, but I thought it would be a worthwhile form of protest at the time.  My guess is no one ever even connected my protest with the cause I was protesting, so I guess Arena doesn't really facilitate the rage quit very well.