deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Help with first deck (GW Convoke)  (Read 683 times)

Chengus

• Decks
Help with first deck (GW Convoke)
« on: December 23, 2014, 11:12:28 am »
Hello all, I've recently (Like, 2 days ago) picked up mtg and want to make my first deck. Could anyone please look into it and give me some suggestions? Its meant to be a GW convoke deck. Thanks!

Deck found here

silvercrown47

• Decks
Re: Help with first deck (GW Convoke)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 02:37:15 am »
One of the best possible things to run with the Convoke mechanic are creature tokens, and it looks like you've already got that bit well-sorted out. But there are always ways to improve, so let's get down to it.

Since you've only started playing recently, I'll do what I can to keep things within a feasible range. A lot of expensive and hard-to-find cards are that way for a simple reason: They're that good. But that being said, let's do this.

Out
Inspired Charge
Naturalize
Naturalize
Sanctified Charge
Spectra Ward
Spectra Ward
Living Totem
Living Totem
Soul of Theros
Soul of Theros
Harmonize

In
Herald of Anafenza
Herald of Anafenza
Herald of Anafenza
Spirit Bonds
Spirit Bonds
Overwhelm
Nissa's Expedition
Nissa's Expedition
Nissa's Expedition
Plains
Forest

Here's Why
Herald of Anafenza is, in my opinion, an underused gem. I died to it constantly during the Khans Prerelease events. That, and it's extremely cheap. Naturalize isn't the sort of thing you run mainboard, due to how selective it is, so replacing it with another Spirit Bonds is what I feel the most effective tradeoff is Nissa's Expedition is a nice little card to ramp up your mana a bit more quickly, while an additional Overwhelm will help you push through in the final stages of a game. Lastly, I dislike ever running less that 20 lands anywhere besides legacy, so I upped it to twenty.

As for the sideboard, at this point it's up to you what you want there. Play the mainboard more and get a feel for how the deck runs, what its weak spots are, and where you could use your sideboard slots. The sideboard is where you put your second and third game answers, and you'll definitely need to know what to answer first.

I hope this helped, at least a little. Feel free to ask, though, if you have any questions about the changes.

Chengus

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 04:09:52 am »
Thanks a heap for your help! :D
First of all, I wouldn't mind spending a little extra money on a few cards which would boost my deck synergy.

I'm wondering about the removal of sanctified/inspired charges, wouldn't it be useful to boost the tokens early/mid game?
Additionally, I now have 9 1 mana creatures. Is that okay? I suppose in a convoke deck it would be useful as free mana.
Also, with all the Nissa's, do I not get enough mana already? I've used my friends very basic convoke deck and it seems like I never have enough cards in my hand to use all my mana.
Finally, how do you deal with things such as festergloom which destroy all your tokens? Are there any good instant counter cards for G/W for all spells?

Thanks again!

I've redone the deck https://deckstats.net/decks/27763/171111-gw-convoke-v2-

Or, a simple list is here:
Lands
8 Forest
12 Plains

Spells
2 Bow of Nylea
2 Devouring Light
2 Overwhelm
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Spirit Bonds
4 Triplicate Spirits
3 Nissa's Expedition
3 Herald of Anafenza

Creatures
3 Elvish Mystic
1 Hornet Nest
2 Midnight Guard
2 Paragon of New Dawns
3 Selfless Cathar
2 Seraph of the Masses
2 Siege Wurm
1 Soul of Zendikar

silvercrown47

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 03:56:32 am »
Counter and control is hard to come by in G/W. The one card that comes to mind for me is Mana Tithe, and that's really about it. Silence could be another option worth considering, though it doesn't serve well as actual counterspelling.

The primary reason I was quick to remove the buffs was their singleton nature. Boardwipes are always going to be hard to get around, and the absolute best you can do about them is either counter them or get back up and try again. Elspeth is an invaluable asset to any high-dollar token scheme (Currently just over $17 apiece, but wait until February with the release of her in a Duel Deck, and she'll go down), and rightly so. If you can get your hands on one or two, I highly recommend her. She's great because she absolutely pumps out tokens, gives your tokens a massive buff with her ultimate, and can help clear the board a bit.

That said, general buffs like the +1/+1 counters from the Bow of Nylea or even potentially adding a Spear of Heliod for the permanent buff are your best bet against Drown in Sorrow and Festergloom-esque problems.

The nine one-drops serve your strategy well, as several (i.e. the Elvish Mystic) can serve as mana on their own, and all help out your convoke theme. That, and they give you several wonderful options in the early turns of the game, being either blockers, attackers, or more fuel for your ramp.