deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Is Ramp Too Good?  (Read 5041 times)

anjinsan

• Decks
Re: Is Ramp Too Good?
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2023, 12:12:11 am »
Bro, it's literally the title of the thread. Is it too good? No. How powerful should it be? The current level of variable power. In the context of my whole post, this answer makes complete sense with your question.
You literally quoted the question "In EDH, how powerful do you think ramp cards should be, and why?". That's actually slightly different to the title of the thread, yes, because people apparently couldn't grasp my original post, so we've changed tack a bit. However, given that you quoted that exact line, I figured that that's what you were responding to.

And, your point is still valid. At least you have provided a genuine argument: "I think fast ramp should exist to give people the opportunity to catch up" (though I think you need to go a bit of a way to convince me). I'm just making the counterpoint that it's not the full story. "I don't have a problem with things are they are" isn't quite the same as "things as they are are the best they could be", after all, which is why I changed to asking people how you would go about designing ramp cards in the first place in an attempt to get away from things like forgetting that Sol Ring is an utterly ridiculous card just because we're used to seeing it everywhere.

(Imagine if fast mana had never existed and the best ramp we had were dorks and Three Visits and Arcane Signet or whatever, and they printed Sol Ring... people would flip out!)
I agree with your point about MDFC's here. However, when it comes to the two types of situations we've been discussing, I can only go by experience alone. I don't keep any data on this in my pod. All I know is that the enduring feeling is one of relief when I can catch up, and not of frustration of getting smoked by fast mana.
But surely that feeling of relief must come about because you disliked being behind in the first place? Is it more the time element, perhaps? If someone is on 5 mana on turn two whilst you're only on 2, that sucks, but if you're on 2 on turn 5 when everyone else is on 5, it feels worse because it's been going on for longer? (And is perhaps in reality slightly worse as they've also have more mana for several turns now, so their total available will have been more whereas the first person probably tapped out to ramp... even if, by turn 5, their advantage will be truly huge)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2023, 01:41:56 am »
Should I lock this thread? It seems like no one is enjoying this conversation and I'm worried that things are about to get heated.

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2023, 02:12:43 am »
Should I lock this thread? It seems like no one is enjoying this conversation and I'm worried that things are about to get heated.

I would. It just seems its turned into a bickering match over semantics.  :-X