deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: New Player, Would like advice on this deck, thanks  (Read 716 times)

Arckangel

• Just Learning
  • Decks

Landale

• Decks
Re: New Player, Would like advice on this deck, thanks
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 06:41:40 pm »
You should try to sort cards based on more than card type. Deck Goals, Draw, Interaction, Ramp, Recursion, etc.

Shalai, Voice of Plenty is not legal in that deck as it is white/green in identity thanks to its ability.

32 Lands is not sufficient for the high costs that angels bring, especially not without solid ramping or draw for consistent land drops. You can fix this by tossing in a couple more lands after culling a couple high cost cards that don't directly or swiftly contribute to a win like Goldnight Redeemer and Akroma, Angel of Wrath
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 09:57:48 pm by Landale »

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 08:06:45 pm »
Hey Arckangel,

For a first deck, this is a solid attempt. I agree with Landale that I would be inclined to cut a few cards to add a few lands. Typically I like to run about 37 plus some mana rocks, and Angels do have a tendency to be quite expensive mana wise.

Beyond that, it's kind of hard to give more advice without a little for info.
What are your aims for the deck?
What power level are you looking for?
Are you typically playing really casual around a kitchen table with the same people or playing with strangers at an LGS or online?
Are there any cards that you are completely set on and wouldn't consider cutting because they're personal favourites?
What kind of budget are you working with for upgrades?

Nice job with the deck though. A real solid foundation to work from, especially for a first deck.

Arckangel

• Just Learning
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 08:51:01 pm »
Thanks for your comments!

Arckangel

• Just Learning
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 09:06:49 pm »
Hey Clean, I'll try to answer your questions.
Aims for the deck, I really like Avacyn and am trying to build a deck to support her, and get the most of her abilities.
Power Level looking for?  I don't really understand the question, unless you are referring to overall average of creatures and I don't really have a goal there.
Typically I am playing with some friends that I work with, as I learn how to play.  Would like to eventually start playing at some game shops with others to develop my understanding and get more experience.  Two of the four players I usually play with are experienced players, one uses edgar markov deck quite a bit, but has other decks he plays with.  The other has 40 or so commander decks and usually beats us up, lol.  But I have defeated him once.
As far as cards I am really set on, I would say Avacyn, Angel of Hope, but I have considered using Giada, Font of Hope as a commander as well.
As far as budget, I can't really go out and get black lotus or the power 9, or a $400 card, but things in the $50 range I can work into.  My current wish list is cavern of souls; Linvala, Keeper of Silence; teferi's protection; and Mutavault.

Already have Nyx lotus and  Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx on the way that I intend to add to the deck. Oh, and Vesuva.

Again, thanks for your comments!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:30:12 am by Arckangel »

Arckangel

• Just Learning
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 09:20:52 pm »
Landale, I am not sure I understand all the terms that you are referring to as far as draw, interaction, recursion, etc.  Is there someplace I can go to learn about definitions of those types of cards.  It would be helpful for me I am sure to get better consistency in the deck goal, if I understand the functions of cards better.  Thanks!

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 09:41:06 pm »
Landale, I am not sure I understand all the terms that you are referring to as far as draw, interaction, recursion, etc.  Is there someplace I can go to learn about definitions of those types of cards.  It would be helpful for me I am sure to get better consistency in the deck goal, if I understand the functions of cards better.  Thanks!
"Draw" as a category would be literally cards that draw you stuff like Love Song of Night and Day, or in some cases tutors which are things that search out cards straight to your hand like Idyllic Tutor. Basically anything to speed up your access to cards in the deck. In some colors, often red, "Impulse Draw" is also a thing, which is when you exile a card from your library and can play it but only during that turn, though some effects are more recently extending it to "until the end of your next turn"
"Interaction" as a category can fall into a few different things. Removal effects like Disenchant, Path to Exile, and Generous Gift, protective effects like Loran's Escape, Angelic Intervention, and Teferi's Protection, or counters like Mana Tithe, Dawn Charm, and Lapse of Certainty.
"Recursion" as a category would be things that allow for repetition of a card. Sun Titan, Late to Dinner, Mimic Vat, and Sevinne's Reclamation are some examples.
"Ramp" as a category is stuff that puts you ahead on mana in some fashion. Sol Ring, Arcane Signet, Marble Diamond are all "mana rock" types of ramp, Gold Myr, Manakin, and Sunseed Nurturer are examples of "mana dork" ramp, Knight of the White Orchid and Kor Cartographer are traditional "ramp" as they put a land straight into play without taking up the 1 a turn limit like Rampant Growth (where the term "ramp" generally started), and Herald's Horn or Daru Warchief would be examples of "discount" ramp. Note that things like Pilgrim's Eye are not ramp, they are draw, because they do not actually increase the mana available to you but put a land into your hand.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 09:53:59 pm by Landale »

Arckangel

• Just Learning
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 07:46:50 am »
Landale, great explanations!  I really appreciate the examples of specific cards. really helped me to understand better!   Thanks!