deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: So of the four Commander Masters commanders spoiled so far, who do you like?  (Read 1549 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
The four we've seen so far are the "face commanders" of the Commander decks for Commander Masters, what are your thoughts?

Here they are if you haven't seen them...

This space for rent.

Valmias

• Decks
Slivers slivers slivers slivers slivers. Slivers.

For real though, it's not everyday we get new slivers, and that makes me happy because I'm terrible.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
I feel the same way about Slivers. I'm actually debating doing a second Sliver deck building around this legend and focusing on the graveyard. (shocker I know, me doing a graveyard deck or something with Slivers)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 12:31:26 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Landale

• Decks
Zhulodok is the most interesting one to me, just because I haven't built a colorless commander yet. Even if I don't end up using it, the deck itself will likely be useful as a base.

jlutzxinc

• Decks
All of them seem cool, but I personally won't be using any.  I WILL, however, be adding Guff to my list of Planeswalkers I MIGHT use someday (once I get around to adding ALL of the past SEVEN sets' worth).  If you're wondering why I'm so behind: I have a very intense job that I very much love, so I'm either at work or asleep dreaming I am.

My playgroup regular and fellow DeckStats.NET user "Faithbringer" is an Abzan Reanimator main who also likes Selesnya Enchantments, so Anikthea is a shoo-in for them; in addition, they've expressed interest in brewing with Zhulodok, because double Cascade is fun and Colorless Commander is a worthwhile challenge.

Even if I don't end up using {Zhulodok}, the deck itself will likely be useful as a base.
I've said as much myself at least thrice since I discovered that Zhulodok would be heading what HAS to be Magic's first ever Colorless Precon; certainly some NEW Colorless support, and potentially even some additions to Colorless' woefully small Nonpermanent suite.

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
Personally I'm most excited about the prospect of being able to play an eldrazi deck without having to spend hundreds of dollars to do so. Plus building a colorless deck is something I haven't had the pleasure of doing yet. I'm interested to see what other cards are in the 99. My Ugin, the Ineffable will have another deck to happily join.

Anikthea, Hand of Erebos is... interesting. She seems to be the exact opposite of Myrkul, Lord of Bones; turning enchantments into creatures. It would certainly give way to a little-to-no creature deck... Although I can't tell if she synergizes well with Myrkul or not... I do like the idea of creatures becoming non-creatures, and non-creatures becoming creatures.

Slivers? Ugh. As a veteran magic player I'm no stranger to slivers... I just never could get into them. Like... I understand their point... but... just not my jam.

Commodore Guff is interesting. I'm sad to see him only having Jeskai colors, but that's probably my love for Black speaking. It would be fun to spam the board with all the planeswalkers you can fit into the deck and then use his "ultimate" a couple of times for the win. Although... that would require a LOT of planeswalkers... Or maybe just the right combination of them... idk.

They all look fun. I'm not SUPER excited about the idea of running into multiple sliver decks now... but there's always Ego Erasure, Amoeboid Changeling, and stuff like Witness Protection or just making my own creatures slivers with Maskwood Nexus;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 07:18:52 am by Rose the Budget Queen »

Valmias

• Decks
I feel the same way about Slivers. I'm actually debating doing a second Sliver deck building around this legend and focusing on the graveyard. (shocker I know, me doing a graveyard deck or something with Slivers)

I think Sliver Gravemother is a bit more... intentional than some other sliver legends. The multiple copies part of encore is whatever, but the unearth effect is bonkers. It's a bit like dregscape sliver, in that you can keep combo or closer pieces safely in the graveyard, waiting to be deployed for the one turn that matters. A self-mill powered, graveyard based sliver deck would be really cool.

Slivers? Ugh. As a veteran magic player I'm no stranger to slivers... I just never could get into them. Like... I understand their point... but... just not my jam.

I have to say I sort of agree with you. I pulled a Sliver Queen from a pack back in Stronghold days and got hooked on the coolness of a 5 color tribal card. Slivers were easy to build and I wasn't very good at the game so they stuck, and now I'm the slivers guy in my group. I've never been interested in playing her as the classic combo commander, since the lines of play tend to be boring for everyone at the table, so I made myself a rule that I have to actually use slivers as much as possible. And it still accidentally turned into an infinite combo deck. But at least it uses slivers to do it, so it feels more honest?

If I encountered them for the first time now, I don't think I'd be as interested. As excited as I am, I'm a little bit worried about new slivers, since they are hard to make interesting without accidentally being too much. A tribe of all lords is a neat idea, but it goes off the rails pretty quickly, or else it does nothing at all.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
None of these really interest me. Slivers, colorless-matters, enchantress, and superfriends have all been done a few two many times. It's passé, old news.

The only one that slightly has my attention is Commodore Guff. It's nice to see superfriends in less colours. I may build this but no promises.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
I think these are all great choices for themes of precons, but I personally am not interested in any of them.

I feel like everyone should build a colourless deck at least once (I've built many and love them all), and this will probably be a decent foundation for people to build from.

Enchantress has never interested me personally (most of you know of my indifference to GW decks) but again, a common archetype that appeals to many so always a good choice for a precon and in the superior choice of colours (any deck with black in is more appealing to me than any deck without black in).

Same with Superfriends. Not my thing, but people are in to it, and Guff is cool and has a funny name (for those who don't know, in the UK [and probably other places too], guff is a slang word for a fart).

Slivers is actually a really cool theme for a precon. If I were to pick one of these up, it would probably be the slivers one. I feel like slivers are somewhat less of a "kill-on-sight" kind of deck than they used to be. Sure, they're powerful, but like all tribal/creature based decks, they're weak to boardwipes and options for mass removal, especially mass exile, keep getting better and more varied, so I feel like this will be just a mid level tribal deck with cool synergies and interesting interactions, and that sounds like a good time to me.

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
I was planning a Mila Boros superfriends deck, but adding blue is too good to pass up. Boros superfriends is interesting, but adding blue gives you better draw options, Oath of Teferi, and Deepglow Skate, to name a few. Planning to run Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset + The Peregrine Dynamo + anything that taps for 2+mana for a game winning combo. Besides, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice can't recur a Deepglow Skate with Nahiri, the Unforgiving.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
The more I've thought about it, the more I think I am going to build a separate Sliver Gravemother self mill deck. Alternate win con of Maze's End.
This space for rent.

jlutzxinc

• Decks
Anikthea, Hand of Erebos is... interesting. She seems to be the exact opposite of Myrkul, Lord of Bones; turning enchantments into creatures. It would certainly give way to a little-to-no creature deck... Although I can't tell if she synergizes well with Myrkul or not... I do like the idea of creatures becoming non-creatures, and non-creatures becoming creatures.
My goodness...I love Umori, the Collector and hope to someday be able to use them with EVERY card type.

Oops! All Enchantments! might actually work now.  I never thought of Anikthea in that way before, but now I might have to brew.

fluffyp

• Decks
Anikthea, just because she's got gorgeous art  ;D

To be honest, none of them really appeal to me and  I can't see myself playing much with any of these decks.  The themes are cool and fitting for the set, just not very me.  Still, good to see them bring out some (hopefully) reasonably priced cards in slivers and eldrazi, and, well, if these are themes that suit you then I wish you much joy and happy games.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
The more I've thought about it, the more I want to see what the decklists look like before getting overly excited about any of them (even the Slivers one). I'm not so worried about the reprints (at least not for the Sliver creature themselves) but I'm anxious to see what new cards are in each deck. I can't find where I saw it, but I believe I saw there would be 10 new cards in each deck?
This space for rent.

fluffyp

• Decks
It does say 10 new cards, yes.  But they're going to have to be very good for people to think they're worth this inflated price.  We used to get 10 new cards for commander in the precons before they cost more than £40, and they're charging over £70 for these ... I don't know.  I'm with you in that we need to see the decklists before making any hasty decisions.  It seems to me that these decks are getting more and more expensive, to the point that I can often build my own deck with more synergy for cheaper.  Wouldn't mind the cost increase so much, if they still only had one commander release per year, but with so many, I'm having to make decisions over what really is worth the money.