deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: The Walking Dead cards to get in-mtg-universe reprints in Wilds of Eldraine  (Read 1286 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
https://www.thegamer.com/magic-the-gathering-mtg-wilds-of-eldraine-walking-dead-secret-lair-reprints/

Wizards of the Coast has finally announced when we’ll be seeing the in-universe reprints for Magic: The Gathering’s Secret Lair x The Walking Dead cards.

Almost three years after they were first sold exclusively through Secret Lair, the Walking Dead cards will receive versions stripped of Rick Grimes and company, and given in-Magic-multiverse equivalents in the upcoming set Wilds of Eldraine.

more at link
This space for rent.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
FINALLY

Now I can stop hating on SL.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
It's about time.

This is a step in the right direction. I wonder of there's plans to do this with the warhammer cards. And if so, how will they get around the heavy flavour of creature types like "Tyrannid"?

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
how will they get around the heavy flavour of creature types like "Tyrannid"?

Let's see how they handle the Walking Dead cards.  Will the in-universe still create a "Walker" token?  Or just simply a Zombie token with no other name?

That will be quite the indicator.

I suspect if we still make Walkers, then in-universe versions of WH40K will most likely still be Tyrannids.  If they drop the Walker designation in-universe, then I suspect they'll drop Tyrannid in favor of an otherwise pre-existing creature type.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Landale

• Decks
The Walker tokens are still just Zombie as far as the creature type goes, so they wouldn't really have to change them.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
Have they said they were going to do Warhammer? That would be an interesting to see them do.
This space for rent.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Have they said they were going to do Warhammer? That would be an interesting to see them do.

Are you asking if WotC is going to do an MTG x WH40K crossover?  Yes.  They already have.

Are you asking if WotC has declared that they are going to be printing in-universe versions of those WH40K cards?  They have not stated that they will be.  They have alluded to the fact that they likely will not.  They have said that Universes Beyond Secret Lair exclusives will get in-Universe treatments (typically distributed via The List in Set boosters).  They have stated that Universes Beyond expansion sets, like the Upcoming Lord of the Rings set, will NOT receive in-Universe treatments.  This leaves Commander precons in a sort of in-between category.
Happy Brewing!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
Yea, I was asking if they were going to do in-universe versions. I know they already did a Warhammer set. I love The Red Terror.
This space for rent.

UrizenII

• Decks
I'm glad to see they're finally doing this, but what I find irritating about the Universe Within reprints is that the cards are only in the slot of List cards as opposed to the main set.  At that point, they might as well just be reprinted as a separate Secret Lair, but they won't because Wizards knows that slotting them into the main set will push more product.  There's already only a 1 in 4 chance of getting a List card in a set booster.  Divide that by the number of List cards there are (I still don't understand how these are curated or whether they change for each set) and it's still going to be a pretty rare occurrence to crack one of those.

Frankly, I'm in the camp that doesn't care for IP crossovers.  Don't get me wrong, I love some of the cards themselves, but I don't like the fact that Wizards decided to go outside the universe to make them.  When they were just Secret Lairs, I didn't care so much because it was only a few cards at a time in a special limited product so I didn't see them all that often.  The 40K Commander decks started to push it, but were at least a completely separate opt-in product.  When they started throwing Transformers cards into set boosters of Brothers' War, I think they went too far - and don't even get me started on the entire set for Lord of the Rings.  I won't complain about people playing the cards if they're format legal, but I won't be spending money on them or running them myself (even though my Karona deck would love a Lucille).  I still probably won't buy any "in universe" reprints, because now it's just Wizards double dipping on the exact same product, save the art.  It's almost the Double Feature treatment all over again, except on a much smaller scale with cards that will be far more expensive.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
because now it's just Wizards double dipping on the exact same product, save the art.  It's almost the Double Feature treatment all over again, except on a much smaller scale with cards that will be far more expensive.

The advantage to the in-universe reprints is that they are much cheaper.  Despite being distributed via The List (yes, they need a better way), each card from Street Fighter came down to less than $2.  Thats compared to $10 each for the Secret Lair.

Similar with Stranger Things.

I expect that D&D movie in-universe will be the same when that occurs.

I am uncertain about the price of Walking Dead in-Universe.  There is so much hype behind it.  And Rick has become a Legacy powerhouse.  I suspect the price for these reprints will remain higher.  Probably around $5 each (Rick will be more).  But still considerably cheaper than their Secret Lair counterparts.
[size=78%]  [/size]

Edit:  *Sizing* I don't know why the message box constantly changes size on me?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 09:26:27 pm by ApothecaryGeist »
Happy Brewing!

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
Finally, my prayers have been answered! In-universe version of Darryl, Hunter of Walkers! Now the only complaint about my deck will be that it lacks a wincon besides Vigor / Blasphemous Act and Ezuri's Predation!
(seriously, this deck needs a rework.)
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Edit:  *Sizing* I don't know why the message box constantly changes size on me?

I don't get it either. You're the only user this ever affects. It's a mystery.