deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Hullbreacher Alternatives  (Read 757 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Hullbreacher Alternatives
« on: May 15, 2023, 03:53:04 am »
Hullbreacher is banned in commander and for good reasons. It has flash, it denies card draw, it's low-cost, and it gives mana ramp. It was too good not to include in a lot of blue decks and the way it interacted with wheels was just too much.

In a fit of madness (and terrible photoshop skills), I made these cards. They are colour-shifted and slightly worse than the original Hullbreacher. Do you thing that any of these would be acceptable and not ban-worthy?

Doesn't negate the draw:

Doesn't give treasures:

Doesn't have flash:

Isn't 3 mana:

Bonethousand

• Decks
Re: Hullbreacher Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 01:46:51 pm »
Colossal Hullbreacher OP

I, for one, welcome our new Merfolk Dinosaur overlords.

UrizenII

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 06:46:14 pm »
  • I think Hullbreaker would be fine.  If Opposition Agent is legal, Hullbreaker seems pretty tame.  Making Treasures isn't exactly what black is most known for (at least not since Ixilan), but I like the idea.
  • Hullfixer seems fine.  It's kind of like an Alms Collector, although it would trigger far more frequently.
  • I guess Dockside Hullbreacher is OK?  Again, if Dockside Extortionist is still legal, I don't see why this wouldn't be, especially because you can't flash it in.
  • Collossal Hullbreacher... best art ever lol.  Not exactly something green would do, but I think doubling the mana cost goes a long way to fixing the problem.

If I recall correctly, I think the main argument in favor of the Hullbreacher ban was that it negated the draw, because there was also talk of banning Notion Thief, along with Narset, Parter of Veils.  I guess Hullbreacher was particularly egregious because it provided ramp, but if the argument was negating the draw or slowing the game down, then why is Notion Thief still legal?  Leovold, Emissary of Trest is banned, but Narset, Parter of Veils isn't?  How does that make sense?  At least Spirit of the Labyrinth causes you to only draw one card as well.  How are cards like Shared Fate or Zur's Weirding any better?

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 08:12:55 pm »
Leovold, Emissary of Trest is banned, but Narset, Parter of Veils isn't?  How does that make sense?

IIRC, a big part of Leovold is that he's available routinely in the command zone.

Abramelin

• Soon...
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 11:35:04 pm »
Maybe death is a gift

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 01:34:20 pm »
Leovold, Emissary of Trest is banned, but Narset, Parter of Veils isn't?  How does that make sense?

IIRC, a big part of Leovold is that he's available routinely in the command zone.
Also, Sultai was widely considered the best color combo at the time (and probably still is). So Leovold was hit for being the best commander of the best deck.

About the Opposition Agent vs Hullbreacher debate: I think the motivation for leaving Agent in is that there aren't as many symmetrical tutor effects as there are symmetrical draw effects.

About Notion Thief vs Hullbreacher: Unpopular opinion, but if I'm playing a wheel deck, I'm taking the treasures over the extra draw every time. After all, I'm already going to draw a bunch from my wheel, so I'd rather have the mana to use those cards immediately.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 01:50:10 pm by EMaxxi »