deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Tier List: Counterspells  (Read 439 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Tier List: Counterspells
« on: June 05, 2023, 04:28:17 am »
To make up for the tardiness of the boardwipes list, I powered through this one with Aetherium Slinky. This is a blue list, let's be real. The non-blue ones are a little higher than expected, simply because they are all those colours have. Did we miss anything?

A Tier
0-mana

Fierce Guardianship, Force of Will, Force of Negation, Pact of Negation

B Tier
1 mana, or 2 with upsides

An Offer You Can't Refuse, Dovin's Veto, Flusterstorm, Mana Drain, Mental Misstep, Miscast, Stubborn Denial, Swan Song

C Tier
2 mana

Arcane Denial, Counterspell, Delay, Negate, Pyroblast, Tibalt's Trickery

D Tier
3 or 4 mana, with upside

Cryptic Command, Dissolve, Dream Fracture, Endless Detour, Frilled Mystic, Mystic Confluence, Overcharged Amalgam, Render Silent, Rewind, Unwind, Wash Away

E Tier
You shouldn't pay this much for a counterspell

Bone to Ash, Decree of Silence, Discontinuity, Not of this World, Null Brooch, Spell Swindle, Sublime Epiphany

Other counterspells and their placement

Disallow: B
Defabricate: B
Green Slime: B
Stifle: B
Tale's End: B
Trickbind: B
Drown in the Loch: C
Ertai's Meddling: C
Mana Tithe: C
Withering Boon: C
Counterflux: D
Ertai's Scorn: D
Lapse of Certainty: D
Perplex: D
Dash Hopes: E
Daze: E
Warping Wail: E
Mindbreak Trap: Your guess is as good as mine.

Next tier list: protection (that aren't counterspells)

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
Re: Tier List: Counterspells
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 07:58:08 am »
I believe I mentioned this before, but Minor Misstep has become a blue staple in both my normal playgroup and the cEDH group I play with at my LGS. Yes, it costs 1 but it can counter sol rings/mana vaults or cheap draw, but also 0 cost rocks.

Also, Countersquall is a decent C-tier non-creature counter that has saved me  a couple of times when running my dimir/multicolored decks. For only 2 mana it's as good as a negate, plus a little damage to an opponent as an added bonus.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:03:51 am by Rose the Budget Queen »

Landale

• Decks
Re: Tier List: Counterspells
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 10:03:33 am »
So, why is Wash Away D tier? Or is that only when using it cleaved?
It hits Commanders, Suspend, Cascade, Escape, Rebound, Future Sight effects, impulse draw effects, and various other cast from graveyard/exile effects.

I'd put Mindbreak Trap in the A tier, just because like all of them it's 0 mana but with some sort of strings attached. It's a good card to just completely shut off things like Reiterate combos.
How would you rate Daze and Disrupting Shoal? 0 Mana, but with downsides in that they let the opponent shut it off for 1 or you need to have a card on hand and lose it that matches the mana value of what you're trying to counter respectively. I'd assume still A, given that you're even putting Pact of Negation there but I figured I'd ask.