deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Commander Masters Previews Start 7/11  (Read 3238 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Commander Masters Previews Start 7/11
« on: July 08, 2023, 04:57:29 pm »
So what are we expecting for and hoping for?

Personally I'm hoping for some good reprints. Always down for a Mana Crypt reprint and some other fast mana. Would love to see Cyclonic Rift get a reprint. Demonic Tutor could use one. Maybe Craterhoof Behemoth. Thinking "staples" like those will be prevalent.

I'm expecting a new cycle across all five colors that probably won't be as powerful as the Fierce Guardianship / Deflecting Swat cycle but will be pretty good. I'm also expecting some new tribal stuff (specifically in the Slivers commander deck- 10 new cards, I don't see more than 2-3 being new Slivers). I'm also curious if those decks will have a secondary commander and if so for the Sliver Deck do they just reprint Sliver Hivelord or The First Sliver (neither of which would seem to go with the Encore theme of the face commander)? Hard to imagine them giving us two new five color slivers in one set.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 04:59:30 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Landale

• Decks
Re: Commander Masters Previews Start 7/11
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 06:26:01 pm »
I want to see non green mana dorks. We get rocks constantly, but creature based mana would help some decks out a lot.
Sunseed Nurturer, Vesper Ghoul, Thermopod, Soldevi Adnate, Benthic Explorers, Bog Witch, Iron Myr and its cycle, stuff like that.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 07:11:42 pm »
Hopefully, they reprint the Fierce Guardianship cycle and some other precon-exclusive rares like Black Market Connections, plus some Commander Legends goodies like Archivist of Oghma, Apex Devastator, and Opposition Agent.  (I don't think they'll have Dockside again bcs they already put him in Double Double Masters).

In the end, it will depend on what "purpose" WotC designed this set for. If it's for attracting new players, then expect bulk reprints like Blasphemous Act or Sun Titan #658.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 10:41:33 am by EMaxxi »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2023, 06:09:04 pm »
Hopefully, they reprint the Fierce Guardianship cycle and some other precon-exclusive rares like Black Market Connections, plus some Commander Legends goodies like Archivist of Oghma, Apex Devastato, and Opposition Agent.  (I don't think they'll have Dockside again bcs they already put him in Double Double Masters).

In the end, it will depend on what "purpose" WotC designed this set for. If it's for attracting new players, then expect bulk reprints like Blasphemous Act or Sun Titan #658.

I'd love those reprints! We'll see what we get here in a few days.
This space for rent.

AlltheTokens

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 07:02:21 am »
I agree that another 5 color sliver is unlikely.  I kinda hope they throw Morophon, the Boundless or a new 5 color changling in there.  I am very curious the see what they put in the Enduring Enchantments precon.  There are a lot of non-aura enchantments in those colors they could reprint.  It might be a little early for it, but I would love to see a reprint of Anointed Procession bring the price down a little.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 10:41:07 am »
Also, I'm expecting most (if not all) partners to get a reprint. Maybe not because they need reprints, but as a way to give players flexibility during draft. I'm expecting to see the Commander Legends monocolor partners at uncommon and the C16 2-color partners at rare/mythic.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 09:27:20 pm »
I could see some of the partners being reprinted but I don't know about all of them. That would be like what, 75 cards of the set?
This space for rent.

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 10:11:16 pm »
I could see some of the partners being reprinted but I don't know about all of them. That would be like what, 75 cards of the set?
57, excluding Un-set cards and "Partner With". "Partner With", minus the non-legendary ones, would add an additional 30.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 11:57:35 am »
57, excluding Un-set cards and "Partner With". "Partner With", minus the non-legendary ones, would add an additional 30.
Commander legends introduced 41 partners (6 uncommon + 1 rare + 1 mythic for each color + Prismatic Piper). Swap the 10 rare/mythic monocolor ones for the 15 two-color partners and you have 46 partners.
It's doable, imho.
plus it would be Thrasios & friends first reprint (outside of collector boosters).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 12:01:45 pm by EMaxxi »

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2023, 12:21:35 pm »
Commander legends introduced 41 partners (6 uncommon + 1 rare + 1 mythic for each color + Prismatic Piper). Swap the 10 rare/mythic monocolor ones for the 15 two-color partners and you have 46 partners.
It's doable, imho.
plus it would be Thrasios & friends first reprint (outside of collector boosters).
There's also Yoshimaru, Ever Faithful. And personally, I'd prefer they drop the weaker uncommons rather than the rares and mythics. Basically just keep the Familiar cycle and the rares/mythics. 16 monocolor options, including Yoshimaru, 15 multicolor options, and I guess the Piper for draft, for a total of 32 Partner reprints.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2023, 01:13:47 pm »
I could see 35ish of them but not all 60. There’s some that weren’t very popular or that didn’t do much that they could not do.

Thankfully today is the day so we’ll start seeing them soon!
This space for rent.

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2023, 07:20:29 pm »
The Piper is in, so we know we're getting some Partners.
https://twitter.com/mtgjp/status/1678814564111249408

Incidentally, the Japanese Magic account also quickly confirms the obvious inclusions of Sol Ring, Arcane Signet, Command Tower, and Path of Ancestry. Also, the Medallion cycle at rare

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2023, 07:54:17 pm »

Prismatic Piper may be the only one. 

It seems WotC is modifying the rules for Commander draft.  In a draft environment, every legendary creature that has a monocolor or colorless color identity is treated as if it has partner.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/making-magic/chain-of-commander-masters

There could be other "partners" getting a reprint in the set.  It seems there won't be a lot of them.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2023, 08:03:29 pm »

Prismatic Piper may be the only one. 

It seems WotC is modifying the rules for Commander draft.  In a draft environment, every legendary creature that has a monocolor or colorless color identity is treated as if it has partner.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/making-magic/chain-of-commander-masters

There could be other "partners" getting a reprint in the set.  It seems there won't be a lot of them.
Well, shit. That's honestly pretty disappointing.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2023, 08:05:15 pm »

Well, shit. That's honestly pretty disappointing.

Honestly, I like the change.  If they just reprinted all the same partners as before, the this set would literally just be "more expensive Commander Legends".  This will allow the draft to play out much differently.
Happy Brewing!
:)