deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: 2-3 player vs Boss format  (Read 1236 times)

Abramelin

• Soon...
  • Decks
2-3 player vs Boss format
« on: July 25, 2023, 11:24:17 pm »
Hello deckstats, I have been working on building a format for my friends and I to play together, on a team, vs a boss entity. This is what I came up with:
Players take turns together, and share 100 life. The boss is like a planeswalker that deals damage back except all of its targets are chosen randomly. I wanted it to feel like a real boss fight so the effects are kinda intense but I think it needs to hold its own against 2-3+ players. I've attached a word doc with the first draft of Damballa. Please tell me what yall think, and if you get your playgroup to battle it, let me know how it goes, if any tweaks need to be made etc.
Maybe death is a gift

Abramelin

• Soon...
  • Decks
Re: 2-3 player vs Boss format
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 11:27:00 pm »
Here is a another, I encourage anyone interested to try.

The boss has its own turn and attacks the player teams life total in which players use teamwork to block
Maybe death is a gift

Abramelin

• Soon...
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 11:30:03 pm »
Another. questions comments concerns, please lay them on me. I look for faults in my work, how to improve.

You roll the d20 at the start of every boss turn, but only some bosses have d20 rolled on upkeep of player turns, and if they do, player turn d20 effects only happen if the ability has PT in it, so if the d20 on a players turn is an effect with no PT in the ability nothing will happen.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 10:35:59 pm by Abramelin »
Maybe death is a gift

Abramelin

• Soon...
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 11:39:43 pm »
Players take 5 turns in a row before the boss arrives
Maybe death is a gift

Magicvedene

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 10:46:10 am »
Hey !

I've been trying to think about that type of play with another format called "the Horde" (you can take a look here: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/2C5uPj7L0gMW if you don't know about it already)

I've struggled to make any good battle options for my group, so I think I'm gonna try your version instead. If you wanna share about it, like what kind of deck is forbidden or unplayable in this format ?

Thanks a lot for sharing though !

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 10:55:13 am »
Yea that document on Horde lost me at playing prebuilt decks by the players. After a few games it would be blah.

Horde is still a fun format. I have a 500 card zombie horde deck we still break out and play against once in a while.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 12:46:18 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Magicvedene

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 10:39:22 am »
Yea that document on Horde lost me at playing prebuilt decks by the players. After a few games it would be blah.

Horde is still a fun format. I have a 500 card zombie horde deck we still break out and play against once in a while.

Donc you have à decklist of that zombie horde ?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 04:50:06 pm »

Donc you have à decklist of that zombie horde ?

I do not have it saved anywhere to post. It was done on a spreadsheet on my old laptop.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 05:22:06 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Abramelin

• Soon...
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 08:03:49 pm »
sometimes we’ll play a horde deck themed to a color combo, like dragons or zombies or krakens and we’ll seperate the massive 200 card deck into 3rds and everytime you get through a third you flip a flavor themed planechase card over like youre on that plane, after you beat the whole horde deck, the boss arrives, i have built 4 other bosses. Its trickey because some cards and decks become very unviable in a format like this so maybe just pick a solid fun creature deck?
Maybe death is a gift

Abramelin

• Soon...
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 10:21:22 pm »
Got kinda excited someone is gonna try it, so i'll share another haha
Maybe death is a gift

Magicvedene

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2023, 07:28:47 pm »
Got kinda excited someone is gonna try it, so i'll share another haha

Thanks ! How do get your inspiration for those bosses and rules ?

I have one question though, you mention that boss takes no damage on attack, so how are the players supposed to win those fights ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 12:31:18 pm by Magicvedene »

Abramelin

• Soon...
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2023, 05:44:20 pm »
Hey,

The boss takes no damage when the boss attacks
Maybe death is a gift

Magicvedene

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2023, 06:20:50 pm »
Oh OK ! Thank you very much for that clarification. I'm actually adapting it with new effects and reformulate with a mtg style format. I'll share it with you if you wanna see it ?

Just so you know, but two of the bosses do not have any power/toughness in their sheets. Maybe they were erased during creation ? 😄

Abramelin

• Soon...
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2023, 06:41:22 pm »
Yeah please share!

All the bosses have power and toughness when I open them from this forum
Maybe death is a gift

Magicvedene

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2023, 02:32:42 am »
Yeah please share!

All the bosses have power and toughness when I open them from this forum

That's why i hate auto conversion. I don't have office so i imported them into GDocs, but it looses half of the materials in there. Could you share them in pdf format ?

Edit: i managed to convert them myself into pdf format and now i have all informations that i need.

I'm actually finishing the last lines of the doc, i'll share it with you as soon as i'm finished. ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 11:24:04 pm by Magicvedene »