deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How many cards to splash a color  (Read 574 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
How many cards to splash a color
« on: August 31, 2023, 03:11:24 am »
So opinions wanted…retooling my Karador shadowborn apostle deck and with the changes I’m making, I literally will only have one green card left in the deck. Now it’s a really good card in the deck but in a deck with only one tutor, is it worth splashing a color for one card?
This space for rent.

fire5167

• Decks
Re: How many cards to splash a color
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 04:36:30 am »
Hmmm… only if it’s Colossal Dreadmaw

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 06:15:56 pm »
Do you plan on casting Karador at all?
If yes, you are already running a few green sources and adding/removing 1 green card in the 99 won't make the difference, imho.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 06:55:25 pm »
Out of the hundreds of games I’ve played with the deck, I think I’ve cast Karador maybe a handful of times at most. Mostly picked her as the commander at a point where there wasn’t many good options in those colors.

The lone green card the changes leave is Bloodbond March. It’s a good enabler but I’m not sure keeping the third color for one card is worth it. I’m leaning towards just going Orzhov and going Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim as the commander. This would open up two slots in the deck and I’m pretty sure I already know what I’d slot in.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 08:17:15 pm »
I think it's fine to keep just Bloodbond March in. It's a really good card.

You wouldn't even have to change the deck much. I'm sure you're already using some multicoloured lands that also tap for green (Command Tower), so that should be enough.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 09:31:50 pm »
Bloodbond March + Karador to revive all your Apostles every turn seems worth it to me.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 06:26:29 pm »
I appreciate the feedback. I've decided to leave Bloodbond March and keep splashing green. I may also add in Assassin's Trophy to upgrade the removal package. I will probably reduce the number of Forests in the deck (I was only running four anyway) and replace one of them with Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth.
This space for rent.