deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Opinions on Wilds of Eldraine Cards  (Read 532 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Opinions on Wilds of Eldraine Cards
« on: August 31, 2023, 10:58:24 pm »
I finally got around to looking at the spoilers for Wilds of Eldraine. What does everyone think of these cards?

Beseech the Mirror
4 mana is a lot for a tutor, but this also gives you the option to cast it immediately. I'm not sure if the downside outweighs the upside. Are you going to be using this, and if so, what is your search target?

Collector's Vault
The looting is decent and it creates a treasure so it's also ramp. There is definitely a home for this card in more than a few decks. Are any of your decks going to be using this?

Misleading Signpost
3 mana rocks aren't great as ramp, but this one might redeem itself. It can be useful in a meta with voltron decks or if you can blink it repeatedly.

Throne of Eldraine
This one had my attention, but I don't play enough mono coloured decks to know if it's any good. It's expensive, but it does provide good ramp and good draw. That mana also can't be used on colourless spells, which may hurt even mono coloured decks.

These are the cards from this set that caught my attention. Is there anything from this set that you're looking forward to?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Opinions on Wilds of Eldraine Cards
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 12:34:50 am »
I like Beseech The Mirror but the decks I would want to run it in I wouldn’t be able to guarantee the bargain for so it would just be an expensive tutor.
This space for rent.

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 06:39:12 am »
Worst case scenario, Beseech the Mirror is Diabolic Tutor with more words which is just kinda ok in low power decks. Consistency on your win cons, but so expensive it probably delays you to give someone time to respond.
Best case scenario, it wins you the game right there.
I'll probably include it in Chatterfang, Squirrel General to drop out Pitiless Plunderer or in Massacre Girl for like a dozen different things to ruin someone's day. Grave Pact? Sheoldred, the Apocalypse?

I don't have too much of an opinion on the others you brought up. I am, however, looking at Goddric, Cloaked Reveler and Charming Scoundrel for my Delina, Wild Mage deck. Delina keeps Goddric online pretty easily, so he's often going to be a cheaper Lathliss, Dragon Queen in regards to buffing all the dragons that drop in out of nowhere while the Scoundrel serves as draw, ramp, and/or more durability for Delina.
Ruby, Daring Tracker is going to be stupid in my friend's Raggadragga, Goreguts Boss deck, so while I'm not looking forward to it they are and I'm going to see it and suffer. Good times!
Stroke of Midnight is going to be a better Generous Gift 99% of the time, so I expect that to see a lot of use in any white inclusive decks already running the latter.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 09:01:37 am »
Signpost caught my attention as the rare "mana rock with flash". Besides that, we already have Portal Mage.

Beseech the Mirror feels closer to Dark Petition than Diabolic Tutor, because it refunds the mana you spent to cast it (if you bargain and tutor for a 4cmc card). High-power decks can always ramp into it with Dark Ritual & co.
Back for Seconds also impressed me for the same reason: raise dead effects usually suck outside of limited for being too slow, but this essentially gives you 3-4 mana back.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 09:52:54 am by EMaxxi »

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 09:58:22 am »
Beseech the Mirror feels closer to Dark Petition than Diabolic Tutor, because it refunds the mana you spent to cast it (if you bargain and tutor for a 4cmc card).
Well, yes, it's more comparable to a spell that also refunds some of the cost, I simply made the Diabolic Tutor comparison on the worst case scenario, not having something to bargain, as it's 4 mana to just put something in your hand.

AlltheTokens

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 06:15:16 pm »
I can see Beseech the Mirror slotting into some sort of Rakdos treasure token build.  Dockside Extortionist, Ruthless Knave, Pitiless Plunderer... the list of targets is huge.  Also it gives you another way to get Revel in Riches into your hand if you are not bargaining.  Now I kinda want to build Rakdos Treasure.  I wonder who the commander should be.

Misleading signpost seems like a great card.  The fact that is a mana rock is secondary, that attack redirect is amazing.  The ability to give yourself one more turn to answer that boosted up commander that just tried to kill you is huge in blue.  Plus blue has plenty of ways to bounce it and hopefully do it again.  Frosting on the cake is that it can provide some of the mana needed to bounce it.

Throne of Eldraine seems great at first glance, but at 5 mana it might be too slow for a lot of mono colored decks.  I am thinking of slotting it into my Trazyn and my Omnath, Locus of Mana decks.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 06:26:24 pm by AlltheTokens »