deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Prepping for a casual budget tournament  (Read 1851 times)

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
Prepping for a casual budget tournament
« on: November 08, 2023, 06:52:15 am »
A few months back I made this mono-white budget friendly blink deck cause I thought the idea was cool. I found out that a LGS is going to be hosting a casual tournament with the stipulation that the decklist must be under $100 (TCG Player). I've played this deck quite a bit since I made it back in July, and it has a 50/50 win rate. I modified it quite a bit to fit my current playstyle and added what I felt the deck was lacking. Right now it seems that the main issue the deck faces is heavy amounts of mass removal or being too slow to get set up at times. I added in a bit more ramp and reduced the overall mana curve, but it still feels lacking. The maybeboard list on there is simply cards I don't own but would consider adding if I did (keeping to the $100 budget limit).

Before anyone suggests taking out campfire... I cannot stress just how much I love this card when running multiple commanders. Not only does it help me forgo a potential huge tax from playing them from the command zone after removal or a boardwipe, but it also adds a bit of "graveyard protection" against exile. The fact that I can spend a single mana to gain life just seals the deal for me.

Otherwise... I'm not overly attached to any one specific card as long as a suitable replacement is suggested!

[Edit]
I know that adding blue would open the door for more blink options and everything that blue brings to the table, I've opted to keep this specific deck mono-white to keep it nice and simple and because I like that the only thing I need to blink Abdel is just have a way to tap him.

Thank you for your help in advance!!!
https://deckstats.net/decks/208937/3106465-white-blink-token-swarm-budget
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 07:15:36 am by Rose the Budget Queen »

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
Re: Prepping for a casual budget tournament
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 07:04:59 am »
A bit on how the deck plays:

Right now it focuses on getting ETB cards onto the field and then at least one card that lets Abdel force tap to allow for him to blink back onto the field with his background. Every time he exiles a bunch of stuff he creates a handful of soldiers and then when he blinks out all the cards he exiles come back in and trigger their ETB effects again. I use lots of token generators that add flying creatures, and Mondrak is in there to make things absolutely ridiculous. I use vehicles that have crew 1 so I can also throw a 1/1 token into it for a little extra firepower.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 02:40:16 pm »
You're about $20 under budget so you can take this opportunity to get some of the slightly more expensive cards to fill in these gaps. Selfless Spirit and Eagle of Deliverance are about a dollar and will protect you from boardwipes. Hero of Goma Fada is an option at $0.50, but I don't think you're using enough instant-speed blink effects to make it good protection. Lena, Selfless Champion is protection with a nice ETB, but her mana cost is kinda high for what she does.

Flawless Maneuver is one of the best choices, but it will eat a significant portion of that budget. I think you can safely put this in.

Card draw is also very useful for recovering from boardwipes. How is this deck for card draw? You have a few repeatable options through Inspiring Overseer, Priest of Ancient Lore, and Spirited Companion. Fitting in more card like them will help  and they won't break the bank. Circuit Mender, Combat Thresher, Roving Harper, Skyscanner, and Wall of Omens are simple choices. There is also Farsight Adept, Resistance Squad, and Welcoming Vampire, but they come with downsides. More card draw is rarely a bad thing in any case.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 05:02:11 pm »
You could possibly also add Wingmate Roc, Cloudgoat Ranger, Promise of Loyalty, and Knight-Captain of Eos (Great budget fog on a stick).
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 02:20:40 am »
You're about $20 under budget so you can take this opportunity to get some of the slightly more expensive cards to fill in these gaps. Selfless Spirit and Eagle of Deliverance are about a dollar and will protect you from boardwipes. Hero of Goma Fada is an option at $0.50, but I don't think you're using enough instant-speed blink effects to make it good protection. Lena, Selfless Champion is protection with a nice ETB, but her mana cost is kinda high for what she does.

Flawless Maneuver is one of the best choices, but it will eat a significant portion of that budget. I think you can safely put this in.

Card draw is also very useful for recovering from boardwipes. How is this deck for card draw? You have a few repeatable options through Inspiring Overseer, Priest of Ancient Lore, and Spirited Companion. Fitting in more card like them will help  and they won't break the bank. Circuit Mender, Combat Thresher, Roving Harper, Skyscanner, and Wall of Omens are simple choices. There is also Farsight Adept, Resistance Squad, and Welcoming Vampire, but they come with downsides. More card draw is rarely a bad thing in any case.

I didn't think about Selfless Spirit. It's cheap and I already own one, so I'll definitely put it in. The Eagle is good... But his mana value is rather high. I'll get one and give it a test to see if it's effect is worth the high mana cost.

Flawless Maneuver is an amazing card in white in general. I don't have one as of yet and it is on my list. I just wish I didn't have to drop $10-15 to get one.

I already have Combat Thresher and Wall of Omens in the deck. I especially love that blinking the Thresher turns it into a 3/3 Doublestrike even if you cast it for the prototype cost. It has been an amazing defender or pinch hitter in some situations.

I think I'll put in Roving Harper for sure... But I'm on the fence about Skyscanner. I'm trying to stick with white creatures to synergize with Defiler of Faith and Oketra's Monument... But the extra card draw would definitely be appreciated.
I want to add in Circuit Mender but despite the large amount of Neon Dynasty I own I still don't have one.

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 02:22:34 am »
You could possibly also add Wingmate Roc, Cloudgoat Ranger, Promise of Loyalty, and Knight-Captain of Eos (Great budget fog on a stick).

While all of these cards have amazing effects, their mana costs are super high...

AlltheTokens

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2023, 06:42:22 am »
Knight-Captain of Eos does indeed have a high mana cost but I have seen that cheap repeatable fog used to great advantage.  Since your background only triggers once per turn, that repeatable fog could buy you time to build quite a horde of tokens.

You might be able to speed thing up a little bit by adding in a few 2 cmc manarocks.  Fractured Powerstone, Mind Stone, and Prismatic Lens are all options that shouldn't stress your budget
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 06:50:07 am by AlltheTokens »

fire5167

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2023, 08:39:39 am »
I feel like panharmonicon is cracked in this deck, no? I think its abt $3 last time I checked

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2023, 08:10:37 pm »
Cards I already own that plan to put in:
Roving Harper
Selfless Spirit
Liquimetal Torque (if I can get a Loran)
Skyscanner (maybe???)

Cards I don't own but plan to put in:
Flawless Maneuver
Circuit Mender
Panharmonicon (Need!!!)
Knight-Captain of Eos
Ephemerate
Loran of the Third Path (Need!!!)
Lembas
Cloudshift
Holdout Settlement

With those choices mostly picked out now I need to figure out what to take out... I'm open to any suggestions!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 08:12:48 pm by Rose the Budget Queen »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2023, 10:11:32 pm »
Not sure if you may want to put this also in the deck..  Rumor Gatherer but it scry's for every creature except for the 2nd one which allows you to draw. I personally like it when I am in some sort of token deck because of the constant scrying aspect. Per example: If it does see 4 creatures enter the battlefield you'll get a scry,draw,scry,scry. Most people forget the creature entering you scry effect after you draw the card.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 10:46:09 pm »
Not sure if you may want to put this also in the deck..  Rumor Gatherer but it scry's for every creature except for the 2nd one which allows you to draw. I personally like it when I am in some sort of token deck because of the constant scrying aspect. Per example: If it does see 4 creatures enter the battlefield you'll get a scry,draw,scry,scry. Most people forget the creature entering you scry effect after you draw the card.

It was already in the deck  :D

AlltheTokens

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2023, 04:43:03 am »
I don't usually use Lightning Greaves anymore, but a 0 mana equip means that you could tap a creature for an activated ability, flicker it, then equip the Greaves and activate it again on the same turn.  If you are mass flickering by exiling with your commander then flickering him the 0 mana equip means you can activate each creature flickered.

As far as cuts go, I always end up cutting Cathar's Crusade from my token decks.  It is stupendously powerful, but it has a very high mana cost and keeping track of so many tokens that end up all having a different number of +1/+1 counters on them gives me a headache.  Also usually by the time I cast it I do not need it to win. 

Edit: just realized Greaves is a bit higher $$value than I thought it was.

LOL Edit 2: Now I noticed that you don't have many creatures with tap abilities in there, so Loran would be the only thing greaves would really help.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 04:58:24 am by AlltheTokens »

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2023, 07:40:20 am »
Looks like a fun deck to play. And I always like other people playing monowhite!

I have a few suggestions for cards to add. Tocasia's Welcome is great carddraw in a deck that makes tokens, especially if they can do so on opponent's turns.

You can make use of your tokens better if you can decide how your opponent has to block with Odric, master tacticion or if your creatures have haste with Crashing Drawbridge. Both can be (part of) your wincon.

And I also support the forementioned Knight-Captain of eos. That card is way better than it looks, especially if you can keep it safe from removal like in your deck.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 07:46:24 am by paulusdeboself »

DDaniDMrt

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2023, 07:11:44 pm »
Hi!

One day I'm gonna wield a Mono White Abdel too! Glad to see your list!

For the removal slots, have you tried oblivion ring or journey to nowhere or fiend hunter?
Are they worth in your perspective?

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2023, 04:26:29 am »
Looks like a fun deck to play. And I always like other people playing monowhite!

I have a few suggestions for cards to add. Tocasia's Welcome is great carddraw in a deck that makes tokens, especially if they can do so on opponent's turns.

You can make use of your tokens better if you can decide how your opponent has to block with Odric, master tacticion or if your creatures have haste with Crashing Drawbridge. Both can be (part of) your wincon.

And I also support the forementioned Knight-Captain of eos. That card is way better than it looks, especially if you can keep it safe from removal like in your deck.

Hmmm... I hadn't thought about using Odric, Master Tactician. He would be an amazing potential win-con or an effective way to deal with annoying creatures that I can force my opponent to block with. Crashing Drawbridge is an amazing card and I just got one finally! I can absolutely see the use for it, especially once I get a couple pre-combat blinks going.

Hi!

One day I'm gonna wield a Mono White Abdel too! Glad to see your list!

For the removal slots, have you tried oblivion ring or journey to nowhere or fiend hunter?
Are they worth in your perspective?

As for Oblivion Ring, Journey to Nowhere, and Fiend Hunter... I had both O ring and the Hunter in the deck several iterations ago. I took them both out as having a static Nontoken creature/enchantment on the field makes it a target. I feel the fact that they're temporary removal removes a lot of their usefulness.

One benefit of having Abdel blink everything out at the end of my turn is that it offers those cards a layer of protection. They have to kill Abdel first in order to get to his "entourage." So having cards that have to remain in play during my opponents turn just makes them that much more vulnerable.

I don't usually use Lightning Greaves anymore, but a 0 mana equip means that you could tap a creature for an activated ability, flicker it, then equip the Greaves and activate it again on the same turn.  If you are mass flickering by exiling with your commander then flickering him the 0 mana equip means you can activate each creature flickered.

As far as cuts go, I always end up cutting Cathar's Crusade from my token decks.  It is stupendously powerful, but it has a very high mana cost and keeping track of so many tokens that end up all having a different number of +1/+1 counters on them gives me a headache.  Also usually by the time I cast it I do not need it to win. 

Edit: just realized Greaves is a bit higher $$value than I thought it was.

LOL Edit 2: Now I noticed that you don't have many creatures with tap abilities in there, so Loran would be the only thing greaves would really help.

I do already own lightning greaves, two of them, actually. But, like you said, it is an expensive card. I also felt it wasn't especially helpful given that it was in the deck more for its shroud than its haste. Plus having it equipped during the end phase prevents Abdel from being the target for the Far Traveler blink, so the protection it provides is more of a hinderance than a help.

As far as Cathars' Crusade goes, I just got it a few days prior to posting this, so I haven't had the opportunity to test it out. I have a plethora of + and - dice, so keeping track wouldn't be an issue, but I could easily forsee the mana cost being a problem. Taking it out would also free up $10 towards the overall budget of the deck, so I'll consider it 'on the chopping block.'

While I'm loving all the suggestions on what to put in... I still have zero idea on what to take out  :-\
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 04:41:57 am by Rose the Budget Queen »