deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: I think March of the Canonized getting used wrong....right?  (Read 1012 times)

Jesterskull

• Decks
I think March of the Canonized getting used wrong....right?
« on: December 25, 2023, 06:31:19 am »
Been reading alot of reviews, and it seems like alot of player use March of the Canonized like a Secure The Wastes or White Sun's Zenith .

But I am looking at this card more like a Bitterblossom or an Assemble the Legion .

I even checked Edhrec, and those cards are not even being used with together, even though they got great synergy.

Then again, maybe I am wrong.

(from your confused Mardu Player.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 06:37:10 am by Jesterskull »

Landale

• Decks
Re: I think March of the Canonized getting used wrong....right?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 06:59:52 am »
I wouldn't say getting immediate value out of it is in any way using it wrong, especially since unlike Bitterblossom or Assemble the Legion it does nothing on its own with a pretty steep devotion requirement that doesn't protect itself like the Theros gods do. If you toss that out with X as 0 to get it out ASAP, you're going to watch it get blown up.

The fact that you're looking at it from a Mardu point of view makes it worse, as your red pips won't help it activate.

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 03:22:07 pm »
Mardu decks are either half red, white or black. (each are slightly different)

Currently looking at this card from the black side.

And I have lot of token producers and lot of ping effects when those tokens enter and exit the battlefield. (Mostly what my red side is doing) (Impact Tremors / Goblin Bombardment )

So I am viewing this card more on turn 4-5. (unless I get lucky by turn 3.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 03:24:41 pm by Jesterskull »

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 09:43:04 pm »
If your deck is all about taking advantage of large numbers, you should definitely be looking at March of the Canonized as "Secure The Wastes that can sometimes turn into giant vampire demon Bitterblossom" rather than the reverse as you'd want to be leaning more into explosive plays rather than steady trickles.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 12:40:04 am »
People aren't using it wrong, but, you're right, there are other ways to use it.  It depends a lot on your meta.  Do you run into a lot of board wipes and enchantment removal?  If so, you're not going to want to expect it to make tokens every turn.  But, if you're playing in a less interactive meta, then, absolutely slam that thing for X=0 and just let it start pumping out tokens.  It also depends on the deck, but, in general, it's seems like a fun card.  I'm kinda shocked that it isn't more popular, since it does have some great potential in a lot of shells.  I'm gonna grab a few.  Thanks for pointing it out.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 03:01:06 pm »
From a Mardu point of view it isn't that good of a card cause of the clause with devotion. However using it for the X aspect of it then yes it becomes pretty good. Trying to slam it on the table where X is 0 you are still going to need 2 white mana and then need 6-7 black/white pips on board for it to be usefull. This is where it would do nothing for a few turns, all the while your opponents could be churning out value. Remember the tokens won't count towards the devotion for the have no pips. With my aggressive style I personally wouldn't want to be waiting around to make a 4/3 flying token. I do try to use every aspect of a card but I would just not care if I got the 4/3 body and just aim at making X.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me