deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Your Go-To Lands  (Read 3644 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Your Go-To Lands
« on: December 29, 2023, 03:39:06 am »
Building a good land base feels like the half the battle for making a good deck. You want to have enough mana to cast things and the right colours. I've noticed that players tend to gravitate towards some lands more than others. I do not like the triome cycle (Raugrin Triome) but I can understand why people play them.

What are your go-to land cycles? Which lands are the first that you slot in? And for budget players, which tap-lands do you like to use?

I guess I'll start. Pain lands (Battlefield Forge) are my favourite. I can't remember the last time I made a multicolour deck that didn't include these. After that I really like the pathways (Darkbore Pathway // Slitherbore Pathway). I use the reminder cards in all of my decks, which means I can get away with only owning 1 copy of each pathway.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Your Go-To Lands
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 04:22:36 am »
I only put my OG duals and shocks into intentionally high-powered decks these days.  Same with the fetches.

I have become quite the fan of Filter lands.  (NOT the ones from Odyssey block).
I use the Hunt lands frequently too (Deserted Beach)
And pain lands.

Tainted lands if I'm in black.

I like the Temples for decks that lack card draw and/or want a little more top-deck manipulation.

I only like the Pathways in two-color decks.  Once they hit the field, they only tap for a single color.

I was initially on the Triome bandwagon.  I have started to cool.  I have never paid 3 to cycle one.  The only advantage is that they are fetchable.  Since I don't run my fetches in most casual decks, then I have to have something like Three Visits that specifically calls out a land type to be fetchable.  And then I get essentiall a tapped Command Tower.  In a deck that doesn't have those, it's the same as the original tri-lands.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Another_Jesus

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 04:29:00 am »
My first landslots are always Scavenger Grounds and/or Bojuka Bog depending if i am black and/or need my grave, sometimes i feel fancy and add the pain-deserts for more potential scavenger uses.
Demolition Field, Ghost Quarter, Volatile Fault atleast 2 of them make it into every single of my decks.
War Room if you are running 0-2 colors.

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 07:24:49 pm »
There are more types of lands nowadays, that the lands you reflect the type of deck your playing.

Westvale Abbey = Aristocrats

Geier Reach Sanitarium = wheel

alot of fetch lands = green's land matter

Honestly looking forward to the lands of the future.

Imagining a white land, that taxes another player. (white needs more taxes)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 04:00:03 am »
Imagining a white land, that taxes another player. (white needs more taxes)

Like Rhystic Cave?

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 11:48:09 am »
Adding to list of lands that should have been white exclusive.

But I feel like that's a whole another discussion around balance.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 04:26:12 pm »
I am a big fan of Shadowmoor/Eventide filter lands.
They can be awkward in multiples, but for commander they are perfect.

I also learned to appreciate Exotic Orchard. I used to cut it from every precon, but now I play it in almost every deck.

Besides that, my manabases are pretty standard (fetches, shocks/triomes, battlebond lands, utility lands depending on the specific deck, and some basics to round it up).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 04:46:42 pm by EMaxxi »

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 06:50:09 pm »
Kinda hoping we get several versions of "wasteland" in the upcoming "Fallout" set.

Like maybe colored wastelands will be a thing. (I know at least more then one will at least cover rad counters.)

Honestly will fan girling alot over that set.... Since Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games.

fire5167

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 05:49:18 am »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 04:38:09 pm »
Like Rhystic Cave?

Hahahaha. What I would do to make Rhystic Cave playable.

I would try War's Toll which could make it possible to use. Yeah granted you then have to deal with the mana rocks and mana dorks after that. But again it is possible but highly unlikely to gain decent value anway.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

AlltheTokens

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 04:50:52 pm »
If I am not running green and a ton of land ramp, I usually only do 1 or 2 color decks.  This means that I usually feel ok running mostly basics.  I always run Shocklands and Battlelands, I usually run the MID/VOW duels and the Checklands.  I used to use Painlands but now I only run them if I am in 3 or more colors without green.  As much money as I spend on magic cards, I still balk at the price of Fetchlands, even though they would make a lot of my decks better, and one of the reasons I run Battlelands is that I always plan to buy and add fetches later.

Edit: I forgot the Slowlands, I run them if I do not forget they exist while deckbuilding.  Also I mono-color decks I usually use snow covered basics because I love Extraplanar Lens.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 04:56:02 pm by AlltheTokens »

SeptemMTG

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 07:50:28 pm »
Scorched Ruins (because nobody really plays that) and 4 (four!!) colorless mana untapped for only two lands to sac is mind blowing, at least for me.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 10:23:32 pm »
Edit: I forgot the Slowlands, I run them if I do not forget they exist while deckbuilding.  Also I mono-color decks I usually use snow covered basics because I love Extraplanar Lens.

I don't have Lens, but I do run Scrying Sheets in my mono-blue deck, and I plan to upgrade my other monocolored decks with snow lands sooner or later.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 03:53:04 pm »
I don't have Lens, but I do run Scrying Sheets in my mono-blue deck, and I plan to upgrade my other monocolored decks with snow lands sooner or later.

Do you need any top-deck manipulation to make scrying sheets work? Because paying 3 mana to maybe get something doesn't seem worth it.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2024, 04:20:09 pm »
Because paying 3 mana to maybe get something doesn't seem worth it.

It's not terrible for a land, imho.
Other similar cards also require you to jump through hoops.