deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Judith Boardwipes  (Read 1257 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Judith Boardwipes
« on: January 18, 2024, 10:39:33 pm »
It's been a while since a commander has peaked my interest. The newly spoiled Judith, Carnage Connoisseur does just that.

This deck gives low-mana low-damage spells like Blazing Volley deathtouch to turn them into 1-sided boardwipes. Even if they're not asymmetrical (Shake the Foundations) I have ways to keep Judith alive and I'm okay with losing the imps. When possible the deck will run and instant/sorcery over a permanent so I can get some imp tokens.

The issues with the deck right now are two-fold. First, it's a proper spellslinger deck, but I'm having trouble with card draw. It's very easy for this deck to blow through its resources, which will give my opponents time to rebuild from a wipe. Second, I don't have an efficient way of closing out the game after the wipe. It's very slow after turn 5, so I need some good finishers.

Any suggestions?

https://deckstats.net/decks/82803/3367933-judith-boardwipes

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Judith Boardwipes
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 11:07:29 pm »
I, too, am intrigued by this commander.

No Blasphemous Act?  Would generate quite the life swing.  Maybe buy you a turn.

Call Forth the Tempest out of your Maybeboard can generate quite an explosive turn. 

Maybe Chimil, the Inner Sun for some repeating Discover along plus making your spells uncounterable.

Trumpeting Carnosaur might fit in this deck?
Happy Brewing!
:)

fire5167

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 11:36:06 pm »
This seems like a cool idea. Have you checked if your playgroup is okay with it? Personally, I would not like to play against a deck with 20 boardwipes. Maybe you could make it a subtheme and drop down to like 7-10 board wipes? I’m imagining 20 board wipes will lead to 3 hour games…

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 11:44:40 pm »
Thank you for the suggestions!

No Blasphemous Act?  Would generate quite the life swing.  Maybe buy you a turn.

Blasphemous Act is tempting, but I don't yet have a way to really weaponize all that lifegain, besides Bolas's Citadel. I already have 1 mana spells that boardwipe and don't hit my stuff, so Blasphemous Act (and Chandra's Ignition) are out for now.

Call Forth the Tempest out of your Maybeboard can generate quite an explosive turn. 

Yes, that's the hope, but 8 mana is a lot. I'm definitely going to try and slot this in at some point.

Maybe Chimil, the Inner Sun for some repeating Discover along plus making your spells uncounterable.

Trumpeting Carnosaur might fit in this deck?

Chimil I like. Thank you for this! It will definitely help with the card advantage aspect that this deck struggles with. It's in high demand right now so it will be hard to find a copy, but I'll try. As for the Carnosaur, it doesn't really have any synergy with the deck, it's just a big creature that also gives me something else.

This seems like a cool idea. Have you checked if your playgroup is okay with it? Personally, I would not like to play against a deck with 20 boardwipes. Maybe you could make it a subtheme and drop down to like 7-10 board wipes? I’m imagining 20 board wipes will lead to 3 hour games…

Yeah they're fine with it. We're a pretty solid friend group who don't get salty over anything and play with stronger decks than most. But three hour games is a concern, which is why I'm looking for suggestions of cards that will close out the game. The boardwipe strategy works, I just need to nail winning afterwards.

fire5167

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 02:00:08 am »
I can think of a couple. Maybe Havoc Festival, Revel in Riches, or Master of Cruelties? The first is more group slug, but I think the latter two synergize with the board clearing theme.

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 05:02:07 am »
Sadistic Glee or Blade of the Bloodchief would allow Judith to start swinging for lethal after a good wipe or two to help close out the game.
Vicious Shadows would similarly allow you to quickly kill people off after any given wipe.

Eye of Vecna and Greed are pretty good ways to draw when you need it.
Magar of the Magic Strings allows you to keep repeating your spells, including your draw ones, as your 3/3s will have no problem getting through when you're constantly spamming wipes.

Solft

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 10:12:38 pm »
An other approach could be an Orzhov version of this deck. Play around life gain with cards like aetherflux reservoir, aria of flame, bloodthirsty aerialist (multiple +1/+1 for each creature damaged) or marauding blight-priest.
It can be amplified with Blitzwing, cruel tormentor, defiant bloodlord, epicure of blood or exquisite blood.
There are more cards in this theme if your interested

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 08:47:08 pm »
Thought of another card you may want to consider, Flick a Coin. With Judith it's a kill spell that also ramps and draws. Not quite sure on a suggestion for it to replace though.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 04:01:00 am »
I should probably update everyone on what's happening with this deck.

I can think of a couple. Maybe Havoc Festival, Revel in Riches, or Master of Cruelties?

I did add Revel in Riches and Master of Cruelties after this post. In my testing they work alright, but I'm not sure how they will fare in a proper game. I don't want to risk using Havoc Festival. I've seen other people play this card and they lose... every time. I am not nearly a good enough aggro deck to make this card work.

Sadistic Glee or Blade of the Bloodchief would allow Judith to start swinging for lethal after a good wipe or two to help close out the game.
Vicious Shadows would similarly allow you to quickly kill people off after any given wipe.

Sadistic Glee and Blade of the Bloodchief would make this a completely different build. I would need to take out at least 8 creatures to make Judith lethal in two hits. Anything less and it's three hits. That gives a lot of time for my opponents to prepare. I'm not going to use them for now but I may revisit it.

Magar of the Magic Strings allows you to keep repeating your spells, including your draw ones, as your 3/3s will have no problem getting through when you're constantly spamming wipes.

I was already thinking about adding Magar, and this was the last little bit of encouragement I needed. Greed has also been added in, as I've had good results with it in the past. Eye of Vecna I definitely won't use. I do not want to pay an extra 2 mana each turn and 2 life for only 1 card. Phyrexian Arena gives a much better rate, and even that card I'm on the fence about.

An other approach could be an Orzhov version of this deck. Play around life gain with cards like aetherflux reservoir, aria of flame, bloodthirsty aerialist (multiple +1/+1 for each creature damaged) or marauding blight-priest.
It can be amplified with Blitzwing, cruel tormentor, defiant bloodlord, epicure of blood or exquisite blood.

This is also a completely different build. The lifegain from Judith is inconsistent and pretty small (unless I do end up adding Blasphemous Act). Certainly not enough to make a lifegain theme out of it unless I completely rework this deck.

Thought of another card you may want to consider, Flick a Coin.

Did some playtesting with this early on before I posted the list. I wasn't a fan. Three mana is a lot and while it does a lot of things, none of them are worth three mana.

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 04:42:15 am »
I should probably update everyone on what's happening with this deck.

Sadistic Glee and Blade of the Bloodchief would make this a completely different build. I would need to take out at least 8 creatures to make Judith lethal in two hits. Anything less and it's three hits. That gives a lot of time for my opponents to prepare. I'm not going to use them for now but I may revisit it.

I was already thinking about adding Magar, and this was the last little bit of encouragement I needed. Greed has also been added in, as I've had good results with it in the past. Eye of Vecna I definitely won't use. I do not want to pay an extra 2 mana each turn and 2 life for only 1 card. Phyrexian Arena gives a much better rate, and even that card I'm on the fence about.
Fair enough on the Sadistic Glee and Blade of the Bloodchief thing. I have a pretty token fast and heavy meta so in my case she'd quickly start getting one hit kills on people, if you're not confident on hitting 8+ quick I can see not using them.

Also, while the rate on Phyrexian Arena is better over a long period of time I do find the Eye of Vecna coming down earlier and giving a card immediately to be a pretty nice trade since people are quick to blow up anything that gives you a lot of draw over time. The option to not pay anything if you're already good on cards is a minor perk in my mind as well, even if the second and on draws cost more. If that's not as much a concern in your group, I can again see the decision to avoid it.