deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: New player, help request  (Read 887 times)

cmbcmb123

• Decks
New player, help request
« on: February 08, 2024, 12:09:23 am »
Help me make a deck out of the packs I just bought. want to play with my friends.

attached is deck sheet

stuffnsuch

• Decks
Re: New player, help request
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 12:22:59 am »
If you want more helpful help, you may want to include a couple things:

• What format are you playing? (60 card constructed and commander are the most likely answers for new players, but decks are drastically different between the two formats)
  • A link to a digital database of your cards.  Create the list you've already given right here on deckstats, so we can look at it all at once, filter it different ways, etc.  A pdf of all your cards makes it really difficult to figure out what you have, even for those of us that play a lot, we don't remember every card name, so don't make us look up each individual card for you.
  • What sort of way you like to play.  Do you like to create big creatures and smash your opponent?  Do you like tricky plays that keep your opponent guessing?  Do you like to just stall out your opponent so they can't win while you assemble your master plan?  Do you connect more with any of the 5 colors?  Are there creature types you like?  You don't have to know all those answers yet, but, I assure you, you'll have a much better time as a beginner if you get a deck that you like rather than a deck that wins games. 

That being said, welcome to Magic: The Gathering and to Deckstats.  Good luck as you begin your journey!

cmbcmb123

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 12:27:10 am »
Hey! thanks for answering. So I'd like to do 60 card, I don't have a commander anyway. When I played with my friends they gave me a commander deck and there was four of us but that is pretty tough learning! So limited would be best for me to start off with.  Okay I will try and firgure out the digital upload.

I'd like a deck that's a bit sneaky has lots of tricks in the bag and isn't to reliant on having tons of different lands for sure

cmbcmb123

• Decks

cmbcmb123

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 12:40:18 am »
I just read that limited is 40 cards so forgive me on that one

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 12:52:45 am »
No worries.  I knew you didn't mean limited, because you have cards already.  Unless you're playing sealed, in which case getting help from someone else is kinda like cheating, since the game is as much about deck building as about playing the deck, you wouldn't have a list of cards to build from if you were playing limited.  That being said, I came up with something.  There are some cool combos and interactions, but the basic plan of the deck is to get a lot of little creatures early to chip in for damage, then sacrifice them for value later.  There's some evasion and a couple big finishers.  It's not perfect, but it's not a bad deck considering the limited card pool. I hope you enjoy it.

Deck: For cmbcmb123

(I'm assuming you have access to basic lands.  If you can't get ahold of a handful of Mountains and Swamps, you really aren't able to build a deck.  Most players can easily part with a handful of basic lands, though, so don't worry about needing to get those if you don't have them already.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 12:54:28 am by stuffnsuch »

cmbcmb123

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 04:45:02 pm »
Sweet! appreciate the help!

ha no I might need to make some trades for some lands but people seem cool about it.