deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Yarus, Roar of the Old Gods  (Read 433 times)

Landale

• Decks
Yarus, Roar of the Old Gods
« on: March 03, 2024, 12:28:35 am »
Yarus, Roar of the Old Gods

I was mostly inspired to build this by the Over/Under article on EDHRec hyperfocusing on Yarus's second ability and not saying a word about his third.
After playing several games with this deck it's pretty clear that that is the main draw of Yarus, as you have a million other ways to get cards. Is someone running Grave Pact or dropping Fleshbag Marauder variants? Well thanks for the flip. Board wipes? Thanks for the flip. Swinging in at me or try blocking? You got it, thanks for the flip.
The deck runs both Blasphemous Act and Showstopping Surprise specifically to turn things face up if people aren't doing the job for you, and Marauding Raptor accomplishes the same while also dropping the cost.
Sac outlets allow for cheap or even free flips, so Evolutionary Leap and Perilous Forays allow me to get even more long term advantage without actually losing anything in exchange.
The Marauding Raptor, along with Yarus and the Ashcloud Phoenix form a usually game ending combo, with Fortune Thief and Pyrotechnic Performer allowing you to tip the odds of survival in your favor while the various +1/+1 triggers allow for a way to shut the loop off if it would kill you first while still allowing you to drop everyone into an easy kill range.

The main issue, that I can see, is that the list of viable cards for Yarus is just so shallow that there's not much room for variation. That said I am wondering if anyone sees ways I can improve this even more. The cards that are currently in the maybeboard are ones I'm either lacking but want, just don't know how to fit in, or am just generally on the fence about.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 03:36:49 am by Landale »

Landale

• Decks
Re: Yarus, Roar of the Old Gods
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 10:36:53 am »

Landale

• Decks
Re: Yarus, Roar of the Old Gods
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 02:36:46 am »

Revision 7
Yedora's not pulling much weight, and having to explain that yes I can flip morph type creatures it turns into a land if I pay their costs has gotten frustrating, so I'm trying out The Skullspore Nexus in its place.

Added/removed cards:
-1 Yedora, Grave Gardener
+1 The Skullspore Nexus