deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: The Pickpocket  (Read 240 times)

AlltheTokens

• Decks
The Pickpocket
« on: March 10, 2024, 05:27:34 pm »
The Pickpocket

Tinybones, the Pickpocket looks like it might be a fun card.  I do not see it being top tier, but it still sparks interest for me.  I threw together this deck list to play around with what a tinybones deck might look like.

The idea is simple, use discard and removal to fill the opponents' yards and clear the path for the Pickpocket.  Use the opponents' stuff against them.
Thornbite Staff is in there because putting it on my deathtouch commander means 2 mana: kill a creature.

I tried to keep the curve pretty low, favoring lower cmc options over some stronger higher cmc stuff.  There is such an overwhelming number of options for discard that I am sure I made some mistakes with my choices.

I cut Nirkana Revenant because of it's high cmc.  I am having seconds thoughts about that.  Not only would it help me have enough mana to cast the bombs from my opponents' yards, but it can be a backup wincon with it's pump ability.

The most important question is this.  Is this deck going to be way too annoying to play against and be another one that just creates slow games that are no fun?   

Landale

• Decks
Re: The Pickpocket
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 11:02:10 pm »
The most important question is this.  Is this deck going to be way too annoying to play against and be another one that just creates slow games that are no fun?
It could prove to be pretty annoying. You did make a good call not including Tergrid, God of Fright if your goal is to avoid being a deck that becomes the archenemy right away, though Sheoldred, the Apocalypse is still going to piss a lot of people off since you're not only punishing their draws but taking the cards away anyway.
Chain of Smog can go over decently enough since it gives them something to do, either retaliating directly or going after someone else that they feel like maybe you've been ignoring.
Cards that give them something in exchange for their losses would also help to mitigate their irritation with you. Anvil of Bogardan, Geier Reach Sanitarium, or Rankle, Master of Pranks for example. Creeping Dread hits you as well, to potentially punish them further if they match you, which also helps make things feel more fair.

You may also want backups for your commander to be able to really commit to taking people's stuff after they've lost it, taking only one card a turn while trying to deny everyone as much of their own cards can lead to things taking forever. Whispersteel Dagger, Predators' Hour, and Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni come to mind.

AlltheTokens

• Decks
Re: The Pickpocket
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 01:43:32 am »
I originally had Chain of Smog and Professor Onyx in the deck.  I cut them because I decided that wasn’t a way I wanted to win with a deck like this.  With janky combo pieces like Chain of Smog I always forget that you can actually use them the way the developers intended.