deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Auteur Sujet: Krenko's Suicide Squad  (Lu 168 fois)

AlltheTokens

• Decks
Krenko's Suicide Squad
« le: Mai 02, 2024, 02:11:32 am »
https://deckstats.net/decks/26164/368337-edh-krenko-s-suicide-squad/en

This is continuing my current kick of making tweaks to my older decks.  This one requires story time, so forgive me for being a little long winded.

I fell in love with making tokens almost as soon as I started playing EDH.  One of the first commanders I built was Rhys, The Redeemed.  Frankly, the deck was TERRIBLE.  It had no interaction.  It didn't ramp enough to to ever activated Rhys' expensive second ability.  It was all over the place on the types of tokens it made.  The first version didn't even have any overrun effects, although that at least a friend educated me on in short order.
Then I made a Ghave, Guru of Spores deck.  I literally just went through cards and threw in anything that looked like it might have synergy with Ghave.  I accidentally included 27 recursive combos.  The problem was the deck didn't win even if it went functionally infinite.  There was always a cyclonic rift, or a Wrath of God, or something else that killed all my tokens before I could swing.
I wasn't getting it as far as deck design went.  Then I saw Krenko.  Math played out in my head.  I knew it would be epic, but I still didn't understand how to make it work.  I though mono-red couldn't do most the things I wanted to do.
Then I was playing at a local shop and someone sat down with a Rakdos deck.  I think the commander was Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch.  I saw the glory that is copy spell effects, redirect effects, Red Elemental Blast.  Then he played Blood Moon and shut down my friend Tom's very strong Izzet deck.  I realized that red HAD answers.  It still wasn't enough.
Then I saw what might still be my favorite card of all time.  Goblin Bombardment.  I finally realized that Tokens don't have to swing to win.
Armed with this understanding, I found more ways to avoid going to combat.  Purphoros, God of the Forge and Impact Tremors found their place in the deck.  Then I realized that red doesn't really search very well, so redundancy is vital.  I found other effects, less efficient, but still usable.  I put a deck together and started playing.  After a few weeks and more than a few wins, I circled back around.  Not needing the combat step is nice, but the combat step is still there.  I should at least try to use it.  Now came mass haste enablers.  At the same time I was finding cards that let me untap Krenko to make even more bodies.  I realized as I went that Krenko's exponential growth didn't actually require very many goblins on the field to get started.  I cut the goblins that didn't have a useful ability.  This is the first deck I built that I was actually proud of.  The first deck I considered "strong".  It became the deck that my friend Tom wanted to test HIS decks against.
Over the years I have not made too many tweaks to the deck, but every once in a while I see a card that I work in.

I am not really asking for advice this time.  I was just updating the decklist and wanted to talk about it a bit.  Feel free to offer any opinions or advice anyway.  There is no such thing as a perfect deck, and there are always things I miss.