deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Which Booster Packs are worth buying to open :-)  (Read 1382 times)

jennifercoy

• Decks
Which Booster Packs are worth buying to open :-)
« on: August 09, 2024, 10:50:05 am »
Hey everyone. I have played the game for a long time since 96´ but have been out for at least 15 years now. I recently started buying booster packs for the thrill of opening and finding a nice or rare card. And here comes my question: as Ive bought Dominaria United Set Boosters mainly, is that the right one? Or would it be better to go for some older ones or so? I dont think i will be able to play the game actively, so format doesnt matter much, but i would like to find that sweet Booster Pack type that i would buy a few times in a week just to have a chance of being lucky. Any recommendation, please?

Lusunu

• Decks
Re: Which Booster Packs are worth buying to open :-)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2024, 11:00:06 am »
I've recommended it a couple times to people before but I think the Lost Caverns of Ixalan packs are spectacular because a lot of the big pulls are cards that are useful in more than just Standard. Tishana's Tidebender, Roaming Throne, Cavern of Souls, Mana Crypt, all of the jurassic park cards-lots of popular powerful and not just in the mythic slot either.
Obviously MH3 and Bloomburrow are the two big ones but MH3 is a premium set so it's a lot more expensive and Bloomburrow other than a couple cards doesn't have too much that's insane afaik.

Capt Forest

• Patron
  • #0 Ranked in Showcase league
    • Facebook
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2024, 05:43:39 pm »
If you are using them to draft they are all worth it since the value you get from the pack is not tied exclusively to the secondary market price you could potentially sell the card for but is instead giving you value through a night of entertainment playing with the cards that you would otherwise never look at twice.

If you see this and live in the CFL area reach out.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2024, 10:43:28 pm »
Unless you're collecting to have all the cards or cracking packs because you enjoy cracking packs, it's better to buy the specific singles you want. Even collecting to have all the cards I could make a strong argument against.
This space for rent.

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2024, 05:37:00 am »
So this is going to sound really weird, but any pack you think you want you should check the back of it before you buy it. Specifically what you want to look for is where it was manufactured. Cards produced in the US have been of utter trash quality for years, especially in regards to foils which almost immediately turn into pringles. If you can't find packs produced outside of the US, then just make sure you understand you're risking pulling damaged cards.
Also, just because they're produced elsewhere doesn't mean they'll not be in English necessarily. For example my LGS has been pretty good about getting packs produced in Japan, which also have a small premade tear point on the pack US packs lack, and they're not in Japanese.

As for what sets you should buy, that depends on the format you want to be playing. Cracking packs can be a good way to give yourself a starting idea before jumping into singles if you've been out for a while, but you'd need to consider if you're looking at Modern, Standard, Commander, etc.. For example, Modern Horizons 3 and Commander Masters have good cards, but if you're aiming for the Standard format they're both completely useless to you.

Hellbramm

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2024, 09:37:37 am »
None

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2024, 08:03:14 pm »
Eh, what gives you a "thrill" is highly subjective.
I liked Strixhaven for the mystical archives and Theros 2 for the guaranteed Nyx basic land (now you only find full art basics in about 1/3 packs).

PS: keep in mind set boosters and draft boosters no longer exist. They have been merged into "Play Booster". AFAIK, they are set boosters but with a slightly lower chance of opening multiple rares (if anyone knows the detail, feel free to correct me)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2024, 08:10:57 pm by EMaxxi »