deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: New to MtG and just wanting advice on a deck.  (Read 835 times)

Wolfsbane6654

• Decks
New to MtG and just wanting advice on a deck.
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:34:10 am »
So i have a W/U and a G/B deck I love,and I was wondering if anyone had any tips and advice they could give on these two decks?

W/U Deck:http://deckstats.net/decks/5346/22256-azorius

G/B Deck: http://deckstats.net/decks/5346/22124-golgari

I appreciate any help you can give c:

DracoKing114

• Decks
Re: New to MtG and just wanting advice on a deck.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:19:53 am »
I've played Magic since around Alara, so in the mtg world, I'm still new as well, but research has taught me well lol.

First things first, (even though I created my account after seeing your post) Welcome to the forums!

Depending on who all you're deciding on playing against (just friends, or going into tournaments) decides on how your deck should be built really. Since you have casual on both, I'm supposing this is for friendly games lol I only play with friends btw.

When I start to build a deck, I give myself some basic rules based on how the deck is going to run, however, all my decks have the rule of not being over the minimum 60 cards for a constructed deck, I stick to this rule because for every card you have over sixty, there's that less of a chance for you to draw the cards you need in the deck that can help you.

Onto the decks!

The Azorius one has a nice mana curve and except for the two blue ones, has solid looking finishers. Azorius gets access to some pretty cool control stuff, detain is a pretty powerful mechanic if you play it right, and there are several cards such as Inaction Injunction can give you control, and draw so you always have more ammo Possibly you could stand to have your land base be 10 Island 15 plains, since you only have 4 cards with double blue cost, but a large number that require double white. If you have any Terramorphic Expanse type fetch lands, I'd have the land base be 9 island, 14 plains, and 2 terramorphic, so you'll have 4 mana-fixers, including your Prisms (which double as draw). The white finisher cards for it are solid, but I can't get myself to like the blue ones, they seem very underpowered for how much they actually cost, I mean Six mana for a 3/3 flyer in Blue? well with a single detain attached it shouldn't cost over 5, but should be four with two colorless, two blue. Btw, jealousy at AoS in here, powerful indeed.

If you'd like I'll give the same for your golgari, sometime after this post I'll post my versions, and the other 8 guild decks I've made as well, if you'd like to compare or see if you can get any ideas from them.

Wolfsbane6654

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:23:56 am »
Thanks c: I'd love your opinion on my Golgari deck as well c: and i'll definitely check out your decks when i can c: Thanks again

DracoKing114

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:16:49 am »
Another nice mana curve, since this is like a semi-aggro grave recursion build i'd assume, having more big creatures is fine, and with scavenge on several, you can always make any creature late game bigger. Some nice 1-drops, Fog and Giant Growth are always good choices, Crippling Blight and Death's Approach will help ensure you'll get through, approach working better late game obviously.

Just touching on the mana base, I'm completely jelly for Overgrown Tomb ... and Grisly Salvage That is all lol

Wasteland Viper and Slaughterhorn should be useful pretty much anytime, Daggerdrome Imp Wight of Precinct Six have their own merits, but Knight of Infamy and Dreg Mangler are straight monsters, especially Mangler.

I am not liking Blood Reckoning, there might be more to it than what I see, but only 1 life per creature for you to have slapped 4 mana down seems extremely underwhelming.

I'd rather Zanikev locust to have its costs switched or maybe traded out for another Terrus Wurm, its cost is just too high for what you get for my tastes.

For decks I play against, I think it would do good, especially since noone uses any kind of grave hate.

Wolfsbane6654

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:24:07 am »
Thanks a lot...it really helps c: I am currently working on a Rakdos deck and a Dimir deck too which should be fun...I appreciate your help, and I'll definitely ask you if i need any more advice....Thanks so much friend c:

DracoKing114

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:39:03 am »
Its a pleasure really, I really don't get to talk to people about magic enough.

Ever since I saw the Ravnica blocks, I immediately knew they were my favorite blocks. Rakdos and Dimir can be prety funny match-ups, if you got any of Thrill-Kill Assassin definitely would use it, and I love my mill Dimir, Mill being my favorite way to win.

Anytime!, we Magic-bros gotta stick together lol

Wolfsbane6654

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:03 am »
lol definitely XD