deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Concerning the Stack and Instant/Sorcery  (Read 995 times)

lfb13

• Decks
Concerning the Stack and Instant/Sorcery
« on: March 10, 2015, 05:07:54 am »
First up: Say I cast Lightning bolt, then Reverberate it, then Twincast the Reverberate. Can I then go and Reverberate the Twincast and keep doing that until I want to stop, then use all the stacked up Reverberates and Twincasts to copy the original Lightning Bolt for a lot of damage?

Second: I cast a card, then my opponent casts Cancel. I copy his Cancel with a Reverberate or Twincast and Cancel his Cancel, then there is no Cancel to copy and my Cancel doesn't exist, therefore his Cancel would not be cancelled and could be cast for me to copy, etc. In my mind its a paradox.

Let me know what you think.

~Lou

KQQM

• Bird nerd
  • Decks
Re: Concerning the Stack and Instant/Sorcery
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 01:48:52 am »
I'm just going off my knowledge of when my best friend played an EDH deck around Wort, the Raidmother.

First: The way the stack works I think you can do that. Cause when you Twincast Reverberate you get another Copy of Twincast until you Bolt for a billion something. I know my friend did something like this with another fireball esque spell. Cause you get X copies of Twincast & Reverberate to copy Bolt for however much you need to kill everyone at the table.

Second: The way this works is your spell is on the bottom of the stack. When your friend tries to Cancel it, you cancel out his counter and unless he tried another counterspell it would fizzle and your original spell would stack. It's basically a counter war and whoever plays the last counterspell wins. This has happened a number of times in my EDH playgroup and can be a bit of a headache figuring out all the triggers.

NickNasty

• "I'm as real as the streets!"
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 10:59:33 pm »
First up: Say I cast Lightning bolt, then Reverberate it, then Twincast the Reverberate. Can I then go and Reverberate the Twincast and keep doing that until I want to stop, then use all the stacked up Reverberates and Twincasts to copy the original Lightning Bolt for a lot of damage?

Second: I cast a card, then my opponent casts Cancel. I copy his Cancel with a Reverberate or Twincast and Cancel his Cancel, then there is no Cancel to copy and my Cancel doesn't exist, therefore his Cancel would not be cancelled and could be cast for me to copy, etc. In my mind its a paradox.

Let me know what you think.

~Lou

My only question would be, when you play Reverberate, would Firebolt not have dissolved from the stack by that time? If Firebolt had already dissolved, I don't think it would be a legitimate target and so the Twincast wouldn't achieve the effect you are looking for. But that's my confused view of the matter.

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:26:18 pm »
1. Doesn't work that way. From the Twincast, you copy the Reverberate; for that Reverberate, you choose a new target, the Twincast, and copy that spell. You are changing the targets of all the Copied Twincasts and Reverberates to other Twincasts or Reverberates. Net result you only get 3 resolved Lightning Bolts, and a stack full of copies for six mana. Only 3 spells were cast.

2. KQQM answered this one correctly. You copy their cancel, change the target of the copy to their cancel. Short any other action, you win.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx