deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Old but New Again  (Read 437 times)

Lucid

• Decks
Old but New Again
« on: November 14, 2016, 05:48:24 am »
So I've recently picked up mtg again.  I mostly played when i was in high school.  The majority of my cards are from ice age and before.  I know i do have some from oasis and a few from other newer expansions.  I just play with a friend of mine occasionally.  Was hoping i could get pointers on building successful decks with the older cards I've got.  I honestly don't even know the difference in any of the categories of decks on here.  Anyway,  anyone willing to help I would appreciate.  Thanks! 

Epic_Gamer36

• Don't call something bad unless you can do better.
  • Decks
Re: Old but New Again
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:43:15 pm »
Based on the cards you have from Ice Age, you may want to make a deck using Snow Lands and with cards that use Snow Mana to do things. I don't have an example because I only started in Theros/Ravnica, but try using the tag "snow" in the deck search and see what comes up.
One bone broken for every twig snapped underfoot.
- Llanowar penalty for trespassing

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 01:40:04 am »
One option using Ice Age Cards is a Modern Deck called "Skred Red". It actually JUST won the Grand Prix in Dallas last week and consists of a lot of cards from that era and a few others that aren't. Essentially, you play Scrying Sheets and 20 Snow Covered Mountains, and use Skred as a hyper efficient removal spell. The rest of the deck consists of powerful red control cards like Lightning Bolt, Blood Moon (from 8th edition, so sort of the same timeline as Ice Age), Koth of the Hammer, and Stormbreath Dragon. There are plenty of lists floating around, and you could tune it however you like, so it may be something to look at if you like control-ish magic and playing Red.

Hope you found this helpful! :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Epic_Gamer36

• Don't call something bad unless you can do better.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 02:13:27 am »
One option using Ice Age Cards is a Modern Deck called "Skred Red". It actually JUST won the Grand Prix in Dallas last week and consists of a lot of cards from that era and a few others that aren't. Essentially, you play Scrying Sheets and 20 Snow Covered Mountains, and use Skred as a hyper efficient removal spell. The rest of the deck consists of powerful red control cards like Lightning Bolt, Blood Moon (from 8th edition, so sort of the same timeline as Ice Age), Koth of the Hammer, and Stormbreath Dragon. There are plenty of lists floating around, and you could tune it however you like, so it may be something to look at if you like control-ish magic and playing Red.

Hope you found this helpful! :)

This is also very helpful and should be easy for you to achieve. Either way, its your attitude towards the game that matters the most!
One bone broken for every twig snapped underfoot.
- Llanowar penalty for trespassing