deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Review on a blue white deck i'm trying  (Read 963 times)

umbalumba

• Decks
Review on a blue white deck i'm trying
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:06:35 pm »
Hello there, need some advice on my first attempt at building a deck.
I usually play ready-made kind of slow decks so I attempt to create something of that sorts with a little more pace.
The deck currently holds 69 cards which I aim to get down to 60 (any advice on what to remove is most wanted).
To choose a theme I'd say it's pretty much annoy your opponent until you could get some creatures on the board thus the Mind Sculpt, Jace, Encrust come into play.
Another thing to look for are the counter spells since this deck can't afford to have creatures "removed".

Any commentse are highly appreciated! Thank you!

http://deckstats.net/decks/3646/12945-blue-white

* Edit: I have revised and played my deck a bit to find out some interesting stuff, I usually play in multi-player situations (no special variations, just attack who ever you want) and found out that this deck works better on those situations then normal 1-on-1 play (too slow to survive any strong early attacks). I also found myself spending lots of turns in mid-end game just drawing lands with nothing to do hence Sphinx's Revelation and Staff of Nin, also I play with some friends who run black decks with some revival abilities where Tormod's Crypt comes in handy (though runs against my Mind Sculpting and Jace, Mind Adept
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:12:55 am by umbalumba »

umbalumba

• Decks
Re: Review on a blue white deck i'm trying
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 05:41:48 pm »
anyone?

swebyson

• Decks
Re: Review on a blue white deck i'm trying
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:20:41 pm »
First - here's your decklist with an optimized layout:

http://deck.tk/8WMN4xvk

Since you wanna play a late game deck I'd suggest that you should play more (mass)removals/counters and a less creature heavy deck. Put in some 4,5 or 6 mana drops like a Sun Titan or a Frost Titan and keep the board clear with counters/removals until you can drop a strong 6/6 or whatever. You could play cards like Holy Day or Feeling of Dread to survive the first turns and than play a Wrath of God / Supreme Verdict on turn 4 (or a Sunblast Angel if you want to - works well with Feeling of Dread or other tap abilities but she wont come down before turn 6 and in most cases you're already dead by then).

To increase the chance of drawing the cards you need you should run more than 1 of each and add drawing/card filtering engines like Ponder , Preordain or Think Twice.

some cards I'd remove or from your deck and why:

Griffin Protector - He's not good even if you somehow manage to drop at least 1 creature each turn, most of the time he's only a 2/3 for 4 mana.

Mind Sculpt / Jace's Phantasm - Mind Sculpts are not good if you're just running 1 Phantasm. Milling your opponent for seven cards isn't getting you anywhere if you can't take advantage out of it except you're running 4 Phantasms or similar cards. Adding 3 Phantasms and 1 Mind Sculpt would be alright.

Odric, Master Tactician - He's only good in a creature heavy deck.

Staff of Nin - Too expensive.

My final conclusion:

- Add more counterspells and removals if you're going to make a late game deck and cut your creature count down to 10 or 12.
- Add more creatures if you want to build an Aggro-Controlish deck (as an example 24 creatures, 14 Spells and 22 Lands)
- Add more card draw (6-8 cards)

You could also check out my U/W Splicer Conrol deck as an example for a Control Deck which can win a game pretty fast sometimes.

http://deckstats.net/decks/3713/13242-u-w-splicer-control?saved=1&lng=de

It is pretty good in 1on1s (I've recently won a private tournament with it, went 4-0-0) but it can also kick ass in multiplayer games (me and my friends are also playing alot of mp games)

Have a nice day + done with editing.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:27:47 pm by swebyson »