deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Possible replacements for Cultivate  (Read 1026 times)

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
Possible replacements for Cultivate
« on: April 11, 2021, 03:01:03 pm »
I figured I would put down a list of replacements for Cultivate and Kodama's Reach, depending on the deck style:

https://deckstats.net/decks/149180/2019513-possible-replacements-for-cult

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Cultivate / Kodama's Reach are bad cards: they are very good in a vacuum, probably some of the best ramp spells around.

However, there are so many options that are more synergistic with your gameplan and therefore you can replace Cultivate with one of these, which will be much more effective in your deck.

Suggestions for additions to the list are appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 03:12:32 pm by The Golgari Guy »
Golgari is life. And death.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Cards you should play instead of Cultivate
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 03:14:15 pm »
We had a discussion about this a little while back.

https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,56484.0.html

Other cards that were mentioned are the 2-mana artifacts like Arcane Signet and the Talismans, Cryptolith Rite, and Carpet of Flowers. There are a lot of ramp options out there that are better than Cultivate.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: Possible replacements for Cultivate
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 03:19:29 pm »
In addition to the points I made in the previous thread I've been thinking about Crop Rotation for an Ancient Tomb. The plus side is that you can use the mana straight away. Obviously it ouches you for two every time you use it but I think it's a fair tradeoff.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 08:41:36 pm »
Crop Rotation can also get you Gaea's Cradle, etc. I think of it more as tutor than ramp (same as Expedition Map), though obviously what you're normally tutoring for is a ramp piece.

Honestly I don't tend to use Cultivate/Kodama's Reach unless it's some kind of "lands matter" deck. Since you're in green, you already have four straight mana dorks and the one-mana land enchantments. I also kind of prefer Farseek, Three Visits and Nature's Lore since being able to cast them earlier is a lot better - but then two-mana mana rocks are basically just better (albeit slightly more fragile). The benefit of Cultivate is that it's also a form of card advantage, but so is Beanstalk Giant and that has the land enter tapped (more like a three-mana mana rock, but that also gives you a giant later).

There is also Explore... not being an instant a la Growth Spiral though I think doesn't make up for the unreliability/fiddliness as compared with e.g. Farseek, though the cantripping is always nice.

Oh, Fertilid! A bit slow and expensive on its own but synergy with counters stuff (or Evolution Sage), etc.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 12:12:27 pm »
Seek the Horizon and Sprouting Vines. I'm using the first in my Nature of the Beast modified preconstructed EDH-deck and I'm considering buying the second to replace it. They are really incredibly similar to each other.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 03:43:00 pm »
Seek the Horizon and Sprouting Vines. I'm using the first in my Nature of the Beast modified preconstructed EDH-deck and I'm considering buying the second to replace it. They are really incredibly similar to each other.

But they're not actually RAMP.  They don't put lands on the battlefield.  Just into your hand.  Seek the Horizons really says "Draw three basic land cards".  This does help smooth your land drops and color fix (both useful).  But it isn't ramp.  Cultivate at least puts one of the lands onto the battlefield.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 04:38:22 pm »
Yes, sorry, Dear Administrator. I didn't pay attention. For me, the best is usually the simplest: just Rampant Growth. I am also using New Horizons in my Pheres Centaur Pagony deck, and although not a definite ramp spell that puts land on battlefield, does good job in providing two mana of any one color, that deserves a recommendation as well. Although more useful for Modern deck in my opinion.
Kind regards:
Chavo

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 12:38:07 am »
If you have type dual-lands, it seems like Three Visits/Nature's Lore is just better than Rampant Growth (but only be a smidge); in a multicolour deck I'd pick Farseek first (even two colours, because you must already have a green source to cast either of them).

Under normal circumstances, New Horizons is kind of slow compared with the other aura-based ramp. However if "counters matter" then it seems like a smart pick; otherwise I think I would rather have Weirding Wood. Both also have a bit of a fringe benefit in that they can enchant a utility land that doesn't even provide mana and still let it tap for two (in which case it's like +2 ramp, not +1).

In the Cryptolith Rite vein, there is also Paradise Mantle (for artifacts/equipment decks).