deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Mono G Devotion - Comments  (Read 590 times)

Comment Bot

Mono G Devotion - Comments
« on: July 16, 2015, 10:21:17 pm »
This is the comment topic for Mono G Devotion.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für Mono G Devotion.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

CommanderMeanderer

• Previously Iceburgh EDH
  • Decks
Re: Mono G Devotion - Comments
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 10:21:17 pm »
Hello! I’m far from an EDH expert, but I saw your post looking for some help with your deck and decided to come trolling. When looking back to edit my comments, I noticed that it looks like I’m just bashing your deck, but I merely intend to help you and your deck-nothing is meant in malice.

First off, Murkfiend Liege is not allowed in this deck. Your commander’s color identity is only green, so you can only have green and colorless mana symbols. Dual symbols count as both, so you can’t have the ‘blue' mana symbol. (If you want to untap, Seedborn Muse is a mono-green substitute)

Your converted mana cost is a little high for my taste, especially when you consider that some of your lower mana costs are actually high mana cost cards in disguise (Mistcutter Hydra, Windstorm, Chord of Calling, Hooded Hydra...) I usually try to keep my average mana costs under 3.5, which I understand can be difficult (especially with all those tempting big green creatures!), but it’s definitely worth the work. What made it click for me to lower my mana curves was a comment from affykay on TappedOut.net, who said something to the effect of "remember that your average mana cost is the average turn you can start putting things onto the battlefield". While it’s safe to bet on a late game in a 4 player format, you don’t want to be a sitting duck for four turns.

I would definitely cut market festival. You only have one color in the deck, so it’s not a big deal to get two mana of any color-and for 4 mana it’s far better to get an Explosive Vegetation (which you probably already have in your collection, it was an uncommon in Dragons of Tarkir). Explosive vegetation will give you the same mana access (2 extra), gives landfall triggers, and thins out your deck so you get to draw some of those big hydras you want to cast. I realize there aren't any landfall triggers in your deck(that I saw), but they’re really powerful in green EDH if you decide to put them in. Avenger of Zendikar is an absolute staple that goes well in (I would argue) any green EDH deck. I’m not saying you have to add a bunch of high mana cost cards, as I mentioned earlier that you should try to lower the average CMC, but you should definitely look into him.

Sol Ring and Gyre Sage are great cards, but it’s not enough to ramp into a Terastodon and a field of hydras. Many EDH players will tell you the player with the most mana early *usually* wins. Personally I’d add more cards like Kodama’s Reach and Cultivate. Mana rocks are nice, but you’re playing green-there’s a lot more fun/efficient ways you can get extra mana! Try Oracle of Mul Daya or Exploration. Playing extra lands not only give you the extra reusable source of mana, but since you’re running a lot of basic lands they won’t (usually) be targeted by your opponents, and the lands won't be destroyed by the overlorded Vandalblast or Bane of Progress. And again, cards like Oracle of Mul Daya thin out your deck a bit and give you some control over what your draws are. Ordeal of Nylea is a good idea, however the creature has to be out and attacking for 3 turns (without dying) to get you to those lands. Nature’s Lore gets you mana much faster, is less conditional, and I think is a better fit even if it’s only one forest. Notice that the text for Nature’s Lore lets the land come in untapped!

If it seems like I’m bashing mana in the face here, it’s because I am. I usually play green in my EDH decks too, and I do acknowledge that I’m a bit of a mana nazi. (Which reminds me, your mana curve should look more like a bell curve. What happened to turn three on that chart?!)

Anyway, on to other things, I do like that you have card draw in here, but I don’t like Masked Admirers at all. Sure you can get it back from the graveyard, but there are better/more consistent card draw outlets-Primordial Sage and Soul of the Harvest come to mind, though I would most like to see Drum Hunter replace Masked Admirers. It gives you some colorless mana, has a lower CMC than the other two card draw suggestions, and from the looks of your deck will in most cases still let you draw a card at your end step. It still dies to a single lightning bolt/strike, but so does Masked Admirers. Everything dies to the right removal after all.

I’m not sure where the value is in Tel-Jilad Fallen. Infect is nice, but most decks you are going against will have non-artifact creatures, and with 1 toughness he will die instantly to practically any blocker/attacker, so all I’m seeing a 3/1 for four mana that *might* put a dent into a problem creature. However I might just be failing to see the value there, I’ve never done much with infect in my playgroup.

As I said before, I’m far from an expert at magic and/or edh, so feel free to dismiss this as an internet idiot throwing in their loudmouth opinion. Good luck with your deck, and most importantly, have fun! Welcome to EDH ^_^
Disclaimer: I am a casual player. I hope to help in all of my posts, but my opinion and suggestions are not perfect. Please correct me on any wrong or non-optimal information.

CommanderMeanderer

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 11:27:45 pm »
You know what, I've been thinking about it and I think Courser of Kruphix might be a better fit than Oracle of Mul Daya. It's a 3 drop instead of 4, has 2 green mana symbols for your devotion, has a bit more toughness, and will be easier to trade to obtain (if you don't have it) since it's rotating out of standard and was more recently printed (I'm guessing from your comment that these were just the cards you have you have a nice collection and would rather trade what you aren't using than pay for singles). I wouldn't complain to having both Oracle and Kruphix, and I usually prefer having the extra land to play a turn, but I see a counter argument for this deck. Of course it's your deck and entirely your decision ^_^
Disclaimer: I am a casual player. I hope to help in all of my posts, but my opinion and suggestions are not perfect. Please correct me on any wrong or non-optimal information.

RaneShines

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:42:04 pm »
Thanks so much for the input! I take everything (Especially on the internet) with a grain of salt, I work tech support so I have to haha. But that is a bummer about Murkfiend! As far as those other cards go I have most of them actually so I will switch them out. The big reason I did Ordeal is because I have a lot of creatures with 1/1 counters already so I don't necessarily have to wait for 3 turns. And infect was more for my buddy who runs an artifact deck. That and I was under the impression that 10 poison still is a lose even in commander. My goal is to use Yisan, the wandering bard as my commander and I just purchased other cards today from my local card shop like birthing pod and green sun's zenith to filter a little more. I will switch out some cards when I get home from work and post my updated deck if you feel like helping me out :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:49:12 pm by RaneShines »

CommanderMeanderer

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 01:01:50 am »
Ah, I didn't see where you were going with the +1/+1 counters and Ordeal of Nylea. But keeping in mind you want to put it on an X to cast creature, or a monstrosity creature, you have to have already paid X, or something like 6 mana for arbor colossus. So that makes it another late game card disguised as low mana cost, so kind of dead in your hand for a lot of the game or lost before it's potential early game. Different people play differently, so maybe I'm trying to push my play style on you. I won't claim to know the secret to a perfect edh deck haha. (Although I remembered that Skyshroud Claim is basically a must card-untapped Explosive Vegetation!)

You are right that players lose to 10 poison counters in commander, and 4 hits to kill with a single creature does sound nice. I also didn't notice that Phyrexian Hydra had infect too, it might be a fun mechanic to play with. Though with only 2 creatures with infect, to kill with poison you'll want an overrun effect in hand to push them through. It's an interesting mechanic and a casual format, so go for it if you like it, just know that your buddy will edit in an answer for Tel-Jilad real quick (some friendly targeting is okay depending on your playgroup, for example my Rosheen Meanderer deck hates my friend's Leyline of Sanctity, but her lifelink angels hate my Leyline of Punishment. Yes we edited both in for each other :P).

Birthing Pod and Green Sun's Zenith are fantastic cards. And Yisan always looked like a fun one to build around! I don't know if I could be of much more help, but I would suggest to always keep your online copy of the deck up to date (even if they're all on private like mine :3). I even write all of my edits in the description so I can see how my deck has grown, and occasionally find that card that got cut and really shouldn't have.

RaneShines

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:10:46 pm »
http://deckstats.net/decks/34245/301496-mono-green-edh?saved=1&lng=en. Sorry it took me so long to post the reviews I have made to this deck! still a work in progress but it's on the right track I feel. Thoughts?

CommanderMeanderer

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 12:20:22 am »
Oh wow, didn't see this post until now! Unfortunately the deck you linked to is on private.

RaneShines

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 06:20:38 pm »
Woops my bad. Try now! :)