deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Zedruu's Great Giveaway (Help)  (Read 551 times)

bootzin

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Zedruu's Great Giveaway (Help)
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:15:27 am »
"Gather closer, everybody! This is gonna be the greatest giveaway from all, gifts for everybody! A present for the young lady, and for the grown up boy too! Everyone will have it's share, but I must warn you upfront: We shall not accept any returns."

So, this is supposed to be a fun deck to play with, where the tides of battle can suddenly change completely. The main reason of this deck is not to win, but to make the make more fun (and maybe a little confusing) to play.

Card suggestions would be deeply accepted, as I'm still not so good regarding deck building.

Currently, the deck focuses on defending myself and preventing enemies from attacking me (making it easier for them to attack my enemies), while I get to build everything I need to shift the battle completely.

I'm thinking of adding Scrambleverse for a little bit of randomness, but I'm afraid that by doing so I may lose control of Zedruu, also, I want to add some more removals and game resetters, but I'm rather using things that exile instead of simply destroying. Also, should I remove Wild Research? I feel like it is gonna bring me more drawbacks than advantages...

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me (:

"What?! What do you mean you don't want my gift? Haven't you been told that it is very ugly to deny someone's gift?" ;)

CommanderMeanderer

• Previously Iceburgh EDH
  • Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Zedruu's Great Giveaway (Help)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 02:27:48 am »
Hello-first I should warn that I'm not the best deck builder myself (far from it actually). I do have a few suggestions though for individual cards in the deck. I'm not sure how I should help the general direction a deck that you made just for fun. (Especially a deck that isn't made specifically to win xD)

Even if the deck isn't built for a win condition, I think you might like to add Test of Endurance or Felidar Sovereign. They're fun and goofy win conditions, and with Zedruu's lifegain each turn and damage prevention, you might pull it off once (though I'd put in a lot more life gain if you want this).

Spell Crumple isn't as valuable since the commander tuck rule changed earlier this year, so cutting it out for Counterspell is probably a good idea. I wasn't sure if I liked Brand in this deck, since you want your opponents to have your permanents, but the more I thought about it the more I liked it as a sort of 'emergency break' for a problem permanent. The cycling is great if everything is going to plan too :)

On the other hand, I am worried about Mind Over Matter. It's a really strong card, but it might be difficult to get to 4U mana in a 3 color deck, especially one with so little mana fixing. I think you'll find it hard to consistently get 4U to cast that, especially when many of your lands slow you down by entering tapped too. I might sub in  Ral Zarek since you could cast him more consistently(and he's fun!). I admit he is a total target, but having something to distract others from attacking your life total while giving you his +1 is better than having an unplayable card.

It might be worth it to cut Mana Flare for Chromatic Lantern. I can see you're a bit group-huggy and might want to keep 'all players', but Mana Flare would cut the number of lands your opponents need to tap to get through a Ghostly Prison or Propaganda in half. (Speaking of those cards, have you thought of Island Sanctuary???) I would consider substituting out one of the group-draw cards like Temple Bell for Monastery Siege. It gives you card draw or some protection from targeted spells, which I think you'd like.

I don't think the deck is well equipped to survive after Enduring Ideal. If you can't cast a spell the rest of the game, you better make sure that epic card is going to help you win/stay alive. Building around epic spells is a super fun/challenging, but I don't know if this is the deck to do it with.

As for the cards you mentioned removing/adding, Wild Research looks like a ton of fun to me personally. You might be looking for Thieves' Auction instead of Scrambleverse. Less mana, and you can pick Zedruu first to make sure you keep her, while messing all the permanent's owners to get some draw/life.

Hope I helped out a bit, good luck!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:53:41 pm by Iceburgh EDH »
Disclaimer: I am a casual player. I hope to help in all of my posts, but my opinion and suggestions are not perfect. Please correct me on any wrong or non-optimal information.