deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Riku Commander - Comments  (Read 254 times)

Comment Bot

Riku Commander - Comments
« on: August 11, 2015, 05:58:14 am »
This is the comment topic for Riku Commander.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für Riku Commander.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

CommanderMeanderer

• Previously Iceburgh EDH
  • Decks
Re: Riku Commander - Comments
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 05:58:14 am »
Hey, I know this is marked as a work in progress and everything, but when I saw a Temur commander deck I just had to check it out and chip in my two cents. Feel free to ignore this comment entirely.

First off, Riku is super powerful. Which makes him awesome to build around, but an instant target at the table. You need protection for him if you expect him to stay out longer than one turn. That means equipment, and some counter magic. (Counterspells are super powerful, and I don't think I saw any in the deck. I understand if you're playgroup isn't a huge fan of it, but you shouldn't take the #1 protection of blue away from it.) Equipment can be things like Swiftfoot Boots, Lightning Greaves, or Darksteel Plate. Counterspell is a blue staple, and for good reason.

The things I do like in your deck are all the draw effects, I wasn't sure if Sphinx's Tutelage would be a good card at first, but for each card you draw that could be a powerhouse. A word of warning: if you use that against a friend's mono colored commander deck, they will NOT be happy. Anyway, I'm personally a fan of Cerebral Vortex. When somebody goes crazy drawing off of a Consecrated Sphinx that can be a lethal spell for 3 mana. There are some other creatures that go well in here too, but I won't waste my time going over the things that shouldn't be questioned.

I don't think that Gauntlet of Power is what this deck is looking for. That's a bit group hug-y for anybody else in the same color, and won't benefit two thirds of your deck. (I also don't like Howling Mine and Dictate of Kruphix for being group hug-y. Mono red or white needs those cards, but it's underpowered for a deck with green or blue in it. There's too much good card draw in those colors to play these and give your opponents ammo.) Gauntlet of Power is best used in mono colored decks. Mana Reflection is a much better alternative.

I'm not sure how effective Thopter Spy Network would be in this format. You only have 7 artifacts as of right now (it might be a good idea to add in the three on color artifact lands if you want to start doing artificer shenanigans), and no way to tutor them (or any card, for that matter). Even if you do get the artifact out at the same time, a 1/1 flyer would usually be eaten up pretty quickly by the board state. Or a board wipe. Most games have 2-4 wipes a match I find, although this varies from playgroup to playgroup. (You should definitely put in board wipes too. Blasphemous Act and Cyclonic Rift are great.)

Level up creatures are not mana efficient in an eternal format. You're investing tons of mana into one creature to slowly get an effect. Enclave Cryptologist is a 3 mana Merfolk Looter (and is probably the best of the level ups in here). Echo Mage? A 7 mana Twincast. (Or Fork, Reverberate, Increasing Vengeance, Dualcaster Mage... you get the point. You have the right colors to run other cards, that your opponents don't see coming.) Leveling up is also worse since it can only be activated on your turn, so you invest all of your mana leveling up a 7 mana Goblin Fireslinger, and then your opponent just casts a Decree of Pain (or just a Lightning Bolt) since you've tapped out.

Lightning Berserker won't be useful most of the game, but might be a nice laugh to dash out and pump at an opponent when they just tapped all of their creatures. Besides that, it's just a chump blocker taking up one of your 99.

With how much you'll be drawing in this deck, I definitely think that you need Laboratory Maniac in it. He's a fun little win condition.

So, I'll hop off my podium and let you get back to building. Hope some of my suggestions help you build this, please don't feel discouraged by all the bashing I did to certain cards. I think it's important when deck building to think of the possible advantages and better alternatives to each and every card. And it doesn't help at all if I just say "don't use cards x, y, and z" without explanation. Anyway, good luck with the deck and have fun!
Disclaimer: I am a casual player. I hope to help in all of my posts, but my opinion and suggestions are not perfect. Please correct me on any wrong or non-optimal information.

XzekTi

• Fortune Favors the Bold.
  • Decks
Re: Riku Commander - Comments
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 06:07:48 am »
Thank you for the advice and I will definitively take it into account. This is one of my first commander decks which is why it feels a bit choppy. Thank You and have fun as well.
~XzekTi