deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: I need to find a modern deck!  (Read 1499 times)

shaythor

• Decks
I need to find a modern deck!
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:47:49 pm »
Hello fellow Magic players!!

I have been trying to get into modern, but I can't seem to find a deck I connect with.

My play style is very aggro, I love big, strong creatures, and hitting people hard! I also love when I can gain life, or surprise a player by causing a lot of damage in an unexpected way. I'd say the closest thing so far that I like is Burn, but it's used so much that I'd love to find something cool that not everyone has seen.

Does anyone have any modern decks they've made/tried that I could check out?! Please post below.
shaythor<3

Crusader

• Decks
Re: I need to find a modern deck!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:24:02 am »
Budget affinity and infect are usually easy decks to build. Mono Black Suicide, Modern Maverick are two rogue idea's I wan't to try out soon.

shaythor

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 05:00:56 am »
Thanks!! I'll check it out!
shaythor<3

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 06:13:05 am »
My best recommendation for you to do is looking at the sets that have come out so far in modern. You already know the type of mechanic you want to run but actually knowing the blocks and even the lore will help you feel more at home. A personal favorite when it comes to aggro, burn and life gain would be the Boros Legion (both old and new Ravnica blocks). It's combat ready and with the right instances and enchantments (if you wish to use any) would allow for you to pull off some pretty cool tricks that most people wouldn't expect.

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 07:07:26 am »
Zoo or Green Devotions seems good options for you too, but they are not so good in tournaments (not being bad options either).

My actual favoritue, genesis wave can be really fun too, it's between combo and aggro.

gop

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 12:27:30 am »
Modern can get expensive.  Have a look at this fairly cheap (in comparison to some decks) humans aggro deck I've been playing.  It has good interactions and can win quite quickly.  Most of the cards are cheap but there are a few exy cards like cavern of souls and dark confidant, but at least it doesn't require goyfs or force of wills  :P

Lands
    4 Cavern of Souls (no real substitute, maybe some dual lands).
    4 City of Brass
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 Mana Confluence
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains

Creatures
    4 Ash Zealot
    4 Boros Elite
    4 Burning-Tree Emissary
    4 Champion of the Parish
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Lightning Mauler
    4 Mayor of Avabruck
    4 Soldier of the Pantheon
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Meddling Mage

Spells
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Zealous Persecution

Sideboard
    2 Meddling Mage
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Destructive Revelry
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Pillar of Flame
    1 Rest in Peace
    2 Stony Silence
    2 Melira, Sylvok Outcast

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 06:08:01 am »
Modern only gets expensive depending on what set you're looking for and how far back in magic's timeline you're willing to look through. Compared to standard modern is actually pretty cheap. Also your deck specifications were;
1. Aggro
2. Big and strong creatures
3. Life gain (and/or)
4. deal damage and Win in unexpected ways
 An important question i'm going to ask you is how far back are you willing to look through magic's timeline? True enough you're looking for a deck to play but if you don't know what precisely you intend to look for then you don't know what you're fishing for. Also colors are important. Out of the five colors: White, Blue, Black, Red and Green which 3 do you like the most and which 2 do you like the least?