deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kiora, Master of the Depths - Comments  (Read 347 times)

Comment Bot

Kiora, Master of the Depths - Comments
« on: September 09, 2015, 05:08:43 am »
This is the comment topic for Kiora, Master of the Depths.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für Kiora, Master of the Depths.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
Re: Kiora, Master of the Depths - Comments
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:08:43 am »
You could safely build around Doubling Season and Kiora to the face, with everything else being about protecting and accelerating the combo. Take out the win more of Overrun and Sagu Mauler, and the weakness that is Meandering Towershell. Would make room for more control aspects and responses to things targeting Kiora. 4 Elvish Mystics would increase your chance of having a turn one play, though that would also need a stronger representation of lands producing green mana that don't come into play tapped. As it stands, there is a 35% chance you don't get a green mana in your opening hand.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

Juvy352

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 05:58:29 am »
Good suggestions, thank you for the feedback. I dropped Overrun for Dissolve and I'm looking into replacing Meandering Towershell since his ability is really only useful after Kiora's ultimate, in which case you'd most likely have already won the game anyway.

Drunk Cynic

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:20:00 am »
What interaction are you seeing between Meandering Towershell and Kiora, the Crashing Wave -5? There isn't one.

You'll need 22 or 23 land to get Kiora and Doubling out on curve.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.

Titto23

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 11:33:51 am »
Unfortunately Doubling Season doesn't allow you to put double counter on Kiora when you activate her ability, cause put loyality counter on her is part of the activaction cost. But Kiora enter the battlefield at 8 counter if you have DS on it when she hit it.

As drunkcynic said, 4 Elvish Mystic (maybe on Mnemonic Wall) help you a lot to play 4/5cmc early.

Juvy352

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 02:36:30 pm »
Thanks for the rules clarification on Doubling Season's interaction with Planeswalkers, it actually moves up the ideal win timeframe to turn 5, which is awesome. I've also swapped out Meandering Towershell for Mnemonic Wall. I feel between 20 Land, Birds of Paradise and Cultivate there is enough ramp to get to 5 mana reliably without adding in more like Elvish Mystic. Thanks again for all your suggestions and help!

Drunk Cynic

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 07:13:23 pm »
What interaction are you seeing between Meandering Towershell and Kiora, the Crashing Wave -5? There isn't one.

Okay, I think I figured out my confusion. You're using Kiora, the Crashing Wave, as a place holder for Kiora, Master of the Depths. The interaction between Kiora, Master of the Depths ultimate and Meandering Towershell is weak; only works every other turn.

Fun to learn a thing about Doubling Season; affects the prospects of the deck. With a Doubling Season in play, Kiora, Master of the Depths is 4 mana for an emblem and six 8/8 Octopuses. Any room for Whelming Wave?