deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Getting around Supreme Verdict  (Read 11480 times)

buddah2099

• Decks
Getting around Supreme Verdict
« on: December 09, 2013, 07:39:09 pm »
I have only been playing for a couple of months.  I got beat by a couple of Esper decks and started tweeking my deck and think I might have found a way around Supreme Verdict.  I am running a Simic deck with devotion to blue and was wanting to make sure I was right on what I am thinking.  I found a card called Mizzium Skin that is a one drop and gives a target creature +0/+1 and hexproof.  It can be overloaded for 2 and give all your creatures hexproof.  I know you can't counter Supreme Verdict but as I understand it if they have hexproof they don't die.  So I think that this could be my way around it.  Am I right in this or is there some other way around it.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Getting around Supreme Verdict
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:55:17 pm »
Hexproof only protects from spells that target the creature, since Supreme Verdict doesn't actually target the creature, they will still die.

ETA- Look for something to make your creatures indestructible or if you're playing Boros Legion's Initiative will get you around it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:58:10 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

bigdogdch

• Decks

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 12:34:12 am »
This space for rent.

Ragamander

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 11:46:27 am »
Simic is definitely hard-pressed for answers to Supreme Verdict. You probably can't protect your entire board, but you can diversify so that it doesn't completely stomp you.

Planeswalkers are powerful against Verdict: both Garruk, Caller of Beasts and Jace, Architect of Thought will help you recover from getting your board wiped. Jace, Memory Adept can beat Esper just by milling them out over the course of a few turns.  Just back those guys up with counter-magic and you're good to go.

You could also try something like Primeval Bounty, which forces them to use up their Verdicts and other removal much faster.

Mutavault is also strong, since you can attack with it without making it vulnerable to Supreme Verdict. (Simic Keyrune is another option similar to Mutavault.) Haunted Plate Mail has the same advantage, as well as winning the game faster on its own.

If you want to stick to traditional creatures, Aetherling is the most resilient option. Colossus of Akros will also survive a Supreme Verdict, but at 8 mana it's very pricey.

If you can afford to commit to just one creature living, you could use Mending Touch or Trollhide, too. Or you could Disperse or Simic Charm one of your own creatures.

You might also find that creatures with the BESTOW mechanic - primarily Boon Satyr and Thassa's Emissary - could work too (Boon Satyr because it's big enough to win the game on its own; Thassa's Emissary because it will restock your hand).

The other thing I can think of is to adjust your play style. Only commit at most 5 power to the board at once (outside of Thassa, if you're using her). Generally, try to get 3-4 power out there, then counter all their removal spells. If you convince your opponent that you're just going to keep countering until you can win with that 3-4 power, they might use their Supreme Verdict prematurely (if they have one at all). If they do use it early, you've come out a little ahead, so you have a few more creatures left (in hand) than you would have otherwise.

Alternately, you could add White to the deck, giving you access to:
Rootborn Defenses
Ready // Willing
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Voice of Resurgence
Fleecemane Lion
Indestructibility
Gift of Immortality
Advent of the Wurm
Council of the Absolute
Heliod, God of the Sun

Alternately still, you could add Black to the deck, giving you access to:
Golgari Charm
Thoughtseize
Duress
Underworld Connections
Rescue from the Underworld
Whip of Erebos

buddah2099

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 12:18:02 pm »
Thanks for the input I will see what I can add to work around it.  Thanks

AeroSigma

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 07:39:59 pm »
Great Post Ragamander. 

Buddah, don't ignore the playstyle paragraph in his post.  One of the best ways to play around a board wipe is to avoid overcommitting on the battlefield.  Leave some creatures in hand if you think they might have a Supreme Verdict.  If you add the man-lands (Mutavault) or other creatures that are invincible to sorcery speed removal (haunted platemail), or Aetherling (recommended, since it can trigger evolve, man-lands & platemail can't) and you play wisely without over committing, you can probably drastically increase your chances against the Esper matchup without splashing additional colors.

Also, Simic Charm is a great card, it's on color for you, you can unsummon a creature to save it from wrath effects (or re-trigger evolve) and also all of the other great things that card does (unsummon their blocker FTW, or their attacker for tempo or mana-screw, giant growth as a combat trick or an alpha strike FTW, or still do an overloaded mizzium skin.

zohzik

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:17:13 am »
My favorite way around Supreme Verdict, and a lot of other pesky spells, is to use Time Stop.

npbaudoin

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 10:26:56 am »
Swan Song is an cheap option, though if they're running board wipes they probably also have counters. Still, for 1 mana it's definitely worth trying. Giving them a 2/2 bird isn't too big of a deal.

bigdogdch

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 08:12:54 pm »
Black can also give you No Rest for the Wicked
At least your creatures go back to your hand

talencross

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 09:52:20 pm »
Mindbreak Trap, it does not counter, it exiles.

Jdkjpels

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 06:28:22 am »
For a mono green a pair of harassment cradles on the field and an acetism and you can simply regenerate everything on the field

Londemonium

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 07:02:33 am »
Ghostway is a favorite of mine. Otherworldly Journey is a good single target alternative.
Twilight Shepherd on the field nullifies most field wipes the first time, and can be used more than once if you have ways to move/remove the counter.