deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Library Grind - Comments  (Read 1255 times)

Comment Bot

Library Grind - Comments
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:30:19 am »
This is the comment topic for Library Grind.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für Library Grind.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

sicangu

• Decks
Re: Library Grind - Comments
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 02:30:19 am »
I would hate to run against this deck.  Talk about by turn 7 you'll be sitting on your graveyard.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 02:44:37 pm »
Not that this deck needs anymore mill cards i do have a few suggestions; Curse of the bloody tome, dreadwaters, dream twist, mindshrieker, thought scour, and especially countermand would all be good for this deck if you were to include them.

Mat Montgomery

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 02:11:41 am »
this deck looks incredibly slow for modern of any competitive level.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 05:56:09 am »
  @mat montgomery, just because a deck is slow doesn't mean it can't be competitive or work well in modern. After all it is a mill deck, the reason behind it is to deprive the other person of resources. One thing to know about card playing is this: You can either out-pace the other person or you can slow them down to your speed. It doesn't matter how good your deck is if all your good stuff is either on the bottom of the deck or sitting in your graveyard.

Mat Montgomery

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 06:22:42 am »
  @mat montgomery, just because a deck is slow doesn't mean it can't be competitive or work well in modern. After all it is a mill deck, the reason behind it is to deprive the other person of resources. One thing to know about card playing is this: You can either out-pace the other person or you can slow them down to your speed. It doesn't matter how good your deck is if all your good stuff is either on the bottom of the deck or sitting in your graveyard.
i run a mill combo deck in modern. it can mill people out turn 4. the few counter spells this deck runs are far too expensive and it lacks an answer for crucible of the worlds and delver. it also lacks answers for decks that go wide and beat face.  and against anything that runs hive mind like one of my control decks does as well as my amulet deck, this deck is dead in the water. also, if you are running a jace to mill people, that is not the one to  pick.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 06:30:17 am »
   In this person's defense, the deck runs plenty of counters to shut down most people's plays (and to mill at the same time), a lot of the cards in this deck have a CMC of less than 4 (which means fast plays), and the main two creatures in this deck also make you mill. Now granted there are some areas that this deck can improve in but "dead in the water" is kinda harsh to say against something you haven't played against. Even if you've played against mill decks before, all games are different and not all deck themes or styles mean the same end results. 

Mat Montgomery

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 06:57:32 am »
   In this person's defense, the deck runs plenty of counters to shut down most people's plays (and to mill at the same time), a lot of the cards in this deck have a CMC of less than 4 (which means fast plays), and the main two creatures in this deck also make you mill. Now granted there are some areas that this deck can improve in but "dead in the water" is kinda harsh to say against something you haven't played against. Even if you've played against mill decks before, all games are different and not all deck themes or styles mean the same end results.
i said it was dead in the water in a certain matchup, not overall.  anything that runs a high number of instant and sorceries such as burn or control or storm is dead in the water the second hive mind resolves. the main issue with this is the sideboard. asides from the negates, which in all honesty should be mainboard, there are no answers for anything that causes this deck problems. especially to deal with anything that has already resolved. if the deck creator wants to run mill in modern, the should at least be in blue black if not blue black white. if going blue black the mainboard replacements for other cards that i would recommend are these:
Phenax, God of Deception
Breaking // Entering
Consuming Aberration
Mind Grind
Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
Mind Funeral
If going blue white black i would take a look at my infinite combo deck:
http://deckstats.net/decks/48557/467084-hedronfall/en

I apologize if i am coming off like a dick, but when i was coming up with my mill decklist, i had to take all of this into account as well.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:07:25 am »
   No it's understandable, if you've played the deck style before then you know the work that goes into it. But if you look at these pasts posts, the original poster has yet to respond yet. If he/she has any ideas or wants to CONSIDER our suggestions then it's entirely up to them. Me personally I never play mono colored decks unless I'm:
 a) teaching someone else how to play
 b) Running a tribal theme that I like (such as Mono-B demons or Mono-White angels)
 c) have a large inventory of cards that I don't want to go to waste
 or d) just wanting to try something new.
    My mil decks ALWAYS run more than 1 color (usually in the U/B Dimir style but that's just me).

Mat Montgomery

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 07:18:22 am »
i am not big on mono color either. especially in modern, the only one i have ever seen that works well is burn and if its mono it gets locked out of the game by the combin ation of a sigarda, host of herons and a leyline of sanctity rather easily. i personally preferred dimir mill as well before i discovered the infinite landfall combo and i run that now because it allows for more interaction mainboard and gives me more options sideboard.

oh and OP, if you go into black you will want leyline of the void to deal with crucible and delver.
no mater what you decide to do color wise you should add serum visions, remand, and spellsnare.
and as you are running hedron crab, fetches are your friend for the double landfall trigger.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 07:25:15 am »
  That's right, ghost quarters, evolving wilds and warped landscape are all good lands to consider. Also if you add ghostly flicker to your deck you can drop a land that enters tapped (say for instance dismal backwater) and then play ghostly flicker you can then play that land, bounce it on your opponent's turn and gain two life off of one land. By the time its your turn it'll be untapped and ready to go.

Gunmetal Colossus

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 07:48:04 am »
@G. Moto @Mat Montgomery

Thanks for the lively discussion and recommendations. I hadn't responded before now because I was taking a break from the game.

I've fixed a few of the issues y'all have mentioned, but what suggestions do you have for my sideboard, in case of problem decks?

WhiteAddict

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 10:46:48 am »
Good morning, i can suggest you some changes for mainboard and sideboard.

I think like Mat Montgomery, its slow this deck ..

In the mainboard, i quit :
 - 4 Memory Erosion
 - 4 Psychic Barrier
 - 1 Mind Sculpt

Add :

+ 2 Cryptic Command
 + 4 Thought Scour
 + 2 Spell Snare
 + 1 Spell Pierce

In the sideboard, i quit all and put :
 + 2 Archive Trap.
 + 2 Echoing Truth
 + 2 Dispel
 + 3 Hurkyl's Recall
 + 3 Tormod's crypt
 + 3 Pithing Needle

I wait that this help you :)

WarmasterOfChaos

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 06:56:05 pm »
A bit weak in the creature department, but otherwise great.